Microsoft Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2,488 Interview Reviews

3.2

2,488 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

One skype interview with coding questions, then a full day of in-person interviews. There were 6 in a row at 60-90 minutes each including a lunch interview. I received an offer via email 2 hours after finishing.

Interview Questions

• Write a method that converts any roman numeral into an integer   1 Answer

Principal Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

it is tough but smooth overall, it takes a couple of hours to finish and at the end, really exhausted to answer any more questions,it is tough but smooth overall, it takes a couple of hours to finish and at the end, really exhausted to answer any more questions

Interview Questions

• traveral a tree in different ways   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

Microsoft came to my university during a career fair where I gave my resume. 2 weeks later they called me for an on-campus interview. The interview was short (~30 mins) and I was asked one simple coding question (Rotate array from middle) and one system design question (Design Amazon.com). I fumbled a little on the system design part as I wasn't prepared much for it. My recruiter sent an email saying I was selected but the interview slots got over (in November). I followed up in January and fortunately, they called me for on-site interviews.

On-site Interview 1: Given an array A, find the count of the ordered pairs. An ordered pair is defined as any number A[j], such that A[j]>A[i] and j>i. You have to do this in optimal time.

Interview 2: Given a 2d matrix containing 0s and 1s, count the number of shapes in the matrix. A shape is represented by adjacently connected 1s either horizontally or vertically, but not diagonally.

Interview 3: Design a data structure which represents both a stack and a queue and all the operations (pop, push, enqueue, dequeue) are performed in constant time. Some behavior questions during this interview as well (Accomplishments, Why Microsoft?)

Interview 4: Given a 2D matrix with 0s and 1s, find the cost of the shortest path from the top-left to bottom-right where the 0 and 1 represent every cell's cost

I couldn't get the offer as I went blank during my 4th round even though the question wasn't hard. Practice LeetCode and CTCI and you should be good to go.

Interview Questions

• Given an array A, find the count of the ordered pairs. An ordered pair is defined as any number A[j], such that A[j]>A[i] and j>i. You have to do this in optimal time.   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft (San Diego, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

On campus interview: I just finished the first stage interview and get the chance to move on the next stage. Still waiting for the time schedule for the next round interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

The entire process was about 3 months long. (November-January). Applied online and heard back within a month for a phone screening. After moving on through the phone screening, I went to the onsite interview. This was a 3 day process in January. The first and last days were allotted for travel, and the second day was mainly for the interview. The 3-day trip to Seattle was a very fun experience, but being at Microsoft for one day was not.

The onsite interview was an extremely grueling process; both the candidate and the interviewers were completely drained by the end. 4 interviews total, at about 45 minutes each with a 10 minute break in between each one. After these interviews, a decision will be made about your offer in two weeks.

After having gone through many interviews for technical roles, I found Microsoft's process to be needing the most improvement. The employees interviewing seemed as though they disliked the job via their demeanor and and answers to questions posed about work-life balance, as well as the average hours a Microsoft employee will work per week. Furthermore, Microsoft did not offer much in terms of "selling" their company to a future employee, as compared to other company's candidacy process. No tour throughout the campus, no Microsoft gear to take home, and no real connections to any of the current employees.

Overall, this process made it seem like Microsoft was a very demanding corporation that did not offer much for employees with a life outside of work, but the trip to Seattle was a fun experience.

Interview Questions

• How you would create a service to provide Microsoft updates to over a billion devices?   1 Answer

Principal Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online got a call from HR(who was pretty professional and nice) and was scheduled for an interview in 2 days. I immediately had a feeling that the interviewer was absolutely not interested in either conducting the interview or had already made up his mind not to select the candidate. He asked me a very basic question, which I did in 40mins with test case and all but it is now a m9nth and have not heard back from them. The HR should have at least had the courtesy to give a feedback. I suggest having two or more people on the phone interview panel so that people can not manipulate the process of hiring talented and hardworking candidates.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

All interviews are technical. Started with an on campus interview in September, but there was a hold on submitting candidates to final round that got lifted in December. Flew out to Seattle for a 4 more interviews (spaced out with a 15 min break)

Interview Questions

• Print out all the nodes in a binary in order without recursion.   1 Answer
    • Return the longest palindromic substring.   1 Answer
    • Print nodes in balanced tree level by level and reversing the print order every other level.   2 Answers
    • Get k largest elements in a list, extremely large list (doesn't fit in memory), write actual test cases.   1 Answer
    • Determine if a linked list is circular (give upper and lower on runtime bounds given the choices made/optimal ratio)   2 Answers

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

On campus interview that consisted of 30 minutes of pretty casual conversation with a few problem solving questions that heavily emphasized the process involved. Unfortunately I didn't hear back for two months, only to find that while I had passed the initial screening, Microsoft had already booked all of their interviews for the rest of the year. Microsoft is very big, and it seems pretty easy to fall through the cracks if you don't wow your way onto the high-priority list (some of my friends have had similar experiences).

Interview Questions

• How would you design a function to do X? (I don't remember exactly what the task was, but it was pretty simple)   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied online. HR called me first and set up the phone interview. The position is related to deep learning and computer vision. after the interview for 1 week. I was rejected.

Interview Questions

• shuffle a vector. detect a line on a image.   2 Answers

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

Great process. Passed the first screen interview with a full-time engineer that came to my college campus. I feel like that interview was mostly about personality and fit, more than engineering prowess. The on-site interviews was a round of 4 interviews back-to-back. Enjoyed the experience with every interviewer. The questions were not hard, but not drop dead easy.

Interview Questions

• Find the common ancestor in a binary tree.   3 Answers