Microsoft Software Engineer In Test Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Software Engineer In Test Interview Questions

Updated Mar 23, 2017

3.3

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

College recruiting, flew out to campus interviews, had 4 on site interviews, contacted 1 day afterward with results. Interviewers were all very friendly and shared why they chose Microsoft over startups/etc. why the position was exciting. Definitely changed my impression of Microsoft as a great place to work and persuaded me to join the team over a startup offer, even for the SDET position.

Interview Questions

• Nothing too difficult, wanted to know how to track duplicate words in a book.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Non-negotiable.

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

There is an initial phone interview. On the phone interview, you will get asked a few behavioral questions and a brain teaser to test your thinking skills. When they pass you on the phone interview, you will be flown out to Seattle. It was about a 5 person interview. Between each interviewer, you will get asked to wait about 5 minutes while they give each other notes. It's a nice break in between because you get to sit and absorb the atmosphere.

The same night, they arranged a current employee to take me out to dinner whom I got to have an informal conversation about the company and position.

Interview Questions

• An interviewer showed me a few behaviors with a product and asked me if I can confirm or deny that it is a bug.   Answer Question

Interview

online resume submission, telephonic, on-site

Interview Questions

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

HR would arrange the whole process. It really depends on the team. But mostly multiple people interview and there will be a senior person in the end to decide to make the offer or not. For SDET leader, they mostly look for leadership and technical ability. Expect technical questions. Ability to think. Work to work with team. Action oriented and result oriented. Technical coding is most important.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions and ability to discuss your results.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Microsoft in April 2014.

Interview

Intern opportunity through university recruitment. First on campus interview, then final at Microsoft head quarter. There was a group of students. We had 4 interviews in a day. There were two employees taking care of us and gave us a tour around lunch time.

Internship Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Met at job fair, had about a one hour in-person interview on my campus soon after where I wask asked about my resume and background and a few simple coding tasks concerning strings. This man was very charismatic and happy to be working at Microsoft, he was quite different from the interviewers I met in Seattle, but he did his job well and made me excited to work there.

Was later contacted for an on-site interview in Seattle. Was flown in for an overnight stay and went through 4 interviews the next day.

The first one was easy, a few operations on linked lists, although the interviewer did not seem excited or happy to be doing the interview, seemed like he just drew a short straw.

The second was worse, the interviewer seemed to have a large ego and felt the need to correct everything I said (including things like why I like programming and what my favorite project was), I just attempted to remain polite. He asked me about finding the largest consecutive sum in an array. Although I managed to put something together, I do not feel it was what he was looking for and he showed me his solution which I questioned and never got a satisfactory answer for (I was afraid to push him further because we were short on time and he seemed very firm in his ideas and I was far too nervous and tired). I don't feel he fully understood the question he asked me himself and that he just chose it from a list.

The next interviewer I had lunch with, then a few more questions such as iterative and recursive fibonacci, approaching new code, etc. He also had a piece of paper and seemed to be choosing questions from a list. He was young and personable although he seemed very tired and beaten down.

My final interview seemed to be with a higher-up manager, he was older and seemed to have more influence over Windows 8 features (he was able to point to some of the decisions he had made on the tablet interface). He was very laid back and didn't really ask anything specific. Rather, he simply asked what I liked, then discussed it, asked for some code examples. He seemed very experienced in giving interviews and somewhat jaded about it, but nothing too difficult.

Interview Questions

• Most unexpected was the last interview of the day. It seemed as though my interviewer had no plan at all for what to ask and just let questions develop so they took me off guard.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Hiring process took about 5 months. First interview was on campus at my university and covered behavioral and one technical question. Second interview was 2 hours on campus with 2 seperate interveiwers both covering technical questions. Flew me to Redmond, WA for final interview with 4 different interviewers. Offer given 2 hours later.

Interview Questions

• Implement a Find-Replace function given a string of text, search string, and replace string. Also a seemingly simple question became very difficult and complex when looked at through the eyes of a tester. A question involved writting a function to classify a triangle given its side lengths.   2 Answers

Negotiation

Given one week to accept offer deadline. Terms were very favorable and I accepted on the spot.

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA).

Interview

1 on campus
    4 on-site
    they will reimburse our travel expenses
    timing is also very important
    apply early

Interview Questions

• final round onsite interview was probably the group manager which you will be seleted on, so don't fail it   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in March 2014.

Interview

Interviewed once on university campus, interviewer seemed bored and distant, asked a question regarding string manipulation that wasn't particularly difficult.

Interview in Redmond was alright, I really enjoyed the algorithm problems.

The team was great, I dressed in business (very) casual; most of my interviewers were in jeans and a t-shirt, one was not.

They didn't care what language I implemented my algorithms in, so I would generally use pseudocode initially and then drop into various languages to see what the interviewers were familiar with.

Very professional overall.

Interview Questions

• The on-site interview consisted of five technical questions; code was required for four of the five:
      1. Write a small parser for strings that determines whether a string is a sequence of space-separated words
      2. Write an API for working with a specific type of document
      3. Given an undirected cyclic graph, find all paths from A to B without cycles
      4. The delivery of the fourth question was very confusing - basically they wanted me to implement a stack as a means of counting parentheses
      5. Given a function prototype and a return value, hypothesize regarding 'what happened'

The on-campus interview was a single technical question; the interviewer was extremely bored:
      A. I've forgotten this question; it was a relatively trivial string analysis problem
      1 Answer

Wanted to work at a startup or two first

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Communication was very good. They followed up and replied to all quiries pretty fast after informing me about on site interview. Also the people were very friendly and helpful to talk with

Interview Questions

• How would test a machine on moon that does arithmatic operation based on input from earth and returns value to earth   Answer Question

Negotiation

NOT