Microsoft Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 23, 2017
6,349 Interview Reviews

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I talked to them at a university career fair and was given an interview 3 weeks later. The questions asked were both behavioral and technical, with very common behavioral, team-oriented questions. The technical questions were centered around what you have had experience with so they can gauge where you are and what interests you have. The main coding question was a bit difficult though.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that takes a linked list ordered as a normal link list, while also having an alternate order (alternate_next ptr for each), and copies it, preserving it's normal order as well as it's alternate order.   2 Answers

Garage Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

Not sure how they found my resume, but I got an email from a recruiter. First round was a one hour phone call with the recruiter. I got an email that I had been selected for the final round, which was in Cambridge at their HQ. They got me a rental car and a hotel and paid for everything. I then had three 45 minute interviews with different people in the program.

Interview Questions

• If you have 9 marbles and two uses of a balance scale, how do you figure out which marble is the heaviest?
      Explain recursion to an 8 year old.
      1 Answer

MIcrosoft Explorer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Interview

It was really great, comfortable. The recruiter was really nice and responded well to follow up questions. I think that it really helped that I asked very specific follow up questions about the specifics of the role that I want.

Interview Questions

• Choose your favorite programming concept. Now, describe it as if you were talking to a four year old.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Initial first round interview with single person, followed by second round interview loop with 4-5 people, mix of behavioral and mini-case questions including issues topical to the tech industry, microsoft business, and marketing fundamentals.

Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft (New York, NY).

Interview

I got an email from a recruiter via LinkedIn about the job. I applied online and did a Phone interview first. Then I was called in for an on-campus interview at the Texas campus.

Interview Questions

• If you were to explain the internet to my grand-mother, how would you describe it?   Answer Question

MIcrosoft Explorer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft (New York, NY).

Interview

I got an invitation for the phone screen (round 1) from meeting a recruiter 1-by-1. A lot of people said that as long as you show your passion for technology, you'll get the interview.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I was contacted for an on campus interview after going to their booth at the career fair. Interviewer was very kind and asked a basic technical question as well as some behavioral questions. It was a very pleasant experience. Unfortunately, they don't have any more spots open for the summer so I was not able to move onto the onsite.

Interview

I've applied to FTE positions for years on their public site, and never gotten anywhere. However, this time I had an internal recommendation. So I went from applying to in an interview loop within a week. No phone screen or pre-screen of any sort.

The full interview process was comprised of 4 one hour interviews, with various Program Managers and Software Engineers. We did white board coding and talked a lot about my past work. They seemed to really appreciate that I have an UWA in the store already, with good reviews.

After the interview, it took about a month to get my offer, however, this was also over the Christmas holiday season. Some delays where due to approvers being on PTO.

Interview Questions

• I was sked a variety of questions surrounding the more advanced areas of C# and JavaScript.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I received a generous offer, but not necessarily what I was hoping for. I made a counter offer, which was accepted same day. Overall very easy, and the recruiter was very helpful and understanding.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

The interview process ended up pretty slow for me. The recruiters will give you a false hope that you'll be moved forward with the process but they end up with a rejection email.
    I had a couple of phone screen interviews and was told that I'll have an onsite later in the week, but it didn't happen.

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (New York, NY).

Interview

Several round of interviews:
    1. Phone call with HR
    2. Skype with senior manager from the field
    3. Skype interview with 3 senior managers from different field
    4. Skype interview with 2 GM of countries which the role is covering

Interview Questions

• 1. Strengths and weakness and how am I dealing with weakness.
      2. Questions about the situations: