Microsoft Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 23, 2017
6,499 Interview Reviews

3.2

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Had a phone interview in November 2016, did not hear back results until January 2017 with an email saying that I got to final round interviews. They flew me out to Seattle, WA and the interviews were at the Microsoft campus in Redmond, WA. I had 2 interviews, one 1-on-1 interviews where I was asked several questions on my resume and questions that would span off of something on my resume. I then had a 2-on-1 interview/presentation. They had asked me mostly questions on my resume and my experiences.

Premier Field Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

This interview started with a phone call with an advisor. Very straight forward process. Got logistics out of the way in the beginning, then moved on to interview questions. Finished with extra time to ask the reviewer questions. The interviewer then explained that they would be in touch if I made it to the next round. The whole process was short, taking about 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• When was a time when you were striving for a goal and came across an obstacle?   1 Answer
    • Can you explain the internet to my 80 year old grandmother?   1 Answer

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Applied via the careers website, then reached out to the recruiter at my college. Ultimately I was brought onsite for a formal interview. Whole process took 6 weeks. The recruiters were very helpful and made sure I was getting all the necessary information throughout the process.

Interview Questions

• Here's a list a numbers. Write code to put it in a binary tree   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

I was referred by a friend of mine currently working at Microsoft. I first did a 45 minute on-campus interview which consisted of one easy question plus some behaviorals. Unfortunately, Microsoft had fulfilled their hiring quota for the year, but a spot opened up in mid-December and I scheduled my on-site to be in January.

The on-site consisted of five interviews about an hour long each, with some standard data structures/algorithm questions plus one system design question. The fifth interviewer also asked some behaviorals. The algorithm questions were probably around LeetCode Medium level.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of n unsorted key-value tuples which are too large to fit in memory, return the k tuples with the greatest value where n is several orders of magnitude greater than k. This list may be dispersed across multiple machines.   2 Answers
    • Given a tree of order n which is neither complete or a search tree, write a function to construct a new tree of order m in-place. Memory usage is bound to 2 times the size of the tree. The new tree must be complete, and a node A cannot be a child of another node B in the new tree if A was an ancestor of B in the old tree.   2 Answers
    • Given a list of movement commands (up, down, left, right, undo previous action), write a function that returns the final (x,y) coordinate. Followup: how would you handle other kinds of commands and undoing them? What kind of design pattern is this?   2 Answers
    • Given two very large timestamped sorted log files that do not fit in memory (possibly on different machines), merge them in timestamp order. Provide some test cases.   2 Answers
    • Describe how you would design a data experimentation platform.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

First HR phone screen with standard questions. Then hiring manager phone interview for 40 minutes. Onsite interview was arranged with 5 people. The hiring manager was the last one in the process and interviewed me for more than one hour.

Interview Questions

• General program/project management questions, and behavior questions.   1 Answer

Software/PM Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Submitted resume online and also a hiring manager was given it by someone in the company.
    First interview was with someone who clearly did not get enough sleep. Very disoriented interviewer. Got pulled in about 6 minutes before the interview end time. Only lasted a few minutes because we started late and he forgot, so checked the clock a few minutes in and it was already time for his next interview.
    Second interview was phone. Never got the call on my Phone or Skype (which was a backup). In other words, Interviewer No-Show.

Microsoft's process has been a complete waste of my time. I have never delt with this much incompetence from any other company's recruitment and it has ruined my excitement to work with a company I [used to] think highly of and hold great respect for.

Clearly this unfortunate series of rubbish interviewers isn't the standard, but I still feel that any interview "experience" should be represented here.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I had an initial screening by the hiring manager. Then a series of 4 interviews back to back with both devs and a PM. Process took about a month. Mostly technical questions.

Interview Questions

• string replace all symbols with spaces   1 Answer
    • design a function for determining hits in battleship   1 Answer
    • given a collection of songs with names and times, determine the longest mixtape you can make that fits into a cd that can hols 20 mins of content.   1 Answer
    • explain how a web request works in as much detail as possible.   1 Answer
    • explain forms of testing you would do before releasing software   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation

Explorer Interview

Interview

The whole process took couple of months.
    First, recruiter called for general questions.
    Then, I flew to hq for interview.
    The interview was interesting and engaging.
    Overall, interview process was very nice and comfortable experience.

Interview Questions

• Dynamic, interactive questions   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

I was messaged by Microsoft recruiters from Linkedin. They sent me an online assesment which you have to complete in 60 minutes. If you pass that you will be able to go on-site. I interviewed at Microsoft on campus in Redmond for a full day loop of 6 people. Everyone was super friendly and super excited about future of Microsoft under new CEO leadership.

Interview Questions

• Signed NDA Contract. Algorithmic and Design Architecture Problems. They drill you deep on multi threading and distributed systems.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

I interviewed with Microsoft as a Ph.D. graduate.
    Initial on campus screening. After that I am invited to onsite.
    Onsite Interview:
    It was a nice experience. I interviewed with managers and with a director. I got 3 technical questions and one Ph.D. research discussion (after lunch with lunch interviewer) and one resume/background/personality interview. It was unique to meet people with 10 to over 30 years of experience. Interviewing with experienced/expert engineers is a plus I guess. They know what to ask and what to look for in answers. The questions were easy but vague sometimes. Asking questions and verifying your understanding seemed to me a big plus. Overall it was one of the best interview experiences I had.