Microsoft Marketing Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 16, 2018

3.1

49 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

pretty starightforward, mostly fit questions and then some questions about your favorite tech products and why. the person was very nice and tried to put you at ease. I didn't get any brainteasers which was great.

Interview Questions

• what do you think is a tech product that is marketed particularly well and why?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phila, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Phila, PA) in January 2015.

Interview

Super basic. Asked questions like your strengths, weaknesses, tough situations. Recruiter was very friendly and probed me about my passion for Microsoft, and why I would pick it over another company.

Interview Questions

• Do you enjoy working in teams? If yes, tell me a time you didn't and how you fixed the problem   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2015.

Interview

Interview process was split into 4 individual interviews. They fly you out, set you up at a hotel, and cover transportation and food. Each one of the interviews lasts 45 mins to 1 hour and the topic ranges from interviewer to interviewer. It's mostly behavioral, though I got one case-type question.

Interview Questions

• Create a marketing strategy to sell Surface to college students   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Durham, NC) in January 2016.

Interview

On campus interview. 30 minutes in length. Worked through on campus recruiting and former alumni. Very helpful to reach out to prior connections at your school. Know your resume and be able to give an anecdote about each experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Cambridge, MA) in January 2016.

Interview

Applied through campus recruiting, had an on campus interview that lasted 30 minutes. Very causal and nice environment. Half fit interview half marketing experience evaluation. They won't try to make you mess up, they want to see how you mentally approach each problem and see your thought process as you try to solve problems they present to you.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a marketing campaign you like? One you don't like and why?
      Questions on some of their products
      If you had to divest one of their products which one would it be?   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I had a total of 5 interviews across 2 interview rounds. The first round was on the phone and included hypothetical case questions that asked what strategies would help for some situations (ex. taking market share from a leading competitor). The second round was in Redmond, and I had 4 interviews there- mainly behavioral questions were asked.

Interview Questions

• How would you convince other college students to switch to Windows products?   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Interview

Was recruited by my school. There were on campus interviews for the position which I applied through our career website. I also had an internal referral from someone I know who works there. The first round was on campus and it wasn't bad at all. Make sure you know what marketing generally is and how to use segmenting, targeting and position to sell a product. Make sure you think about what products are marketed well too and know generally about MSFT products.

Final round I was flown out to Seattle. It was 6 back to back interviews with different divisions of MSFT marketing. Thought I did well, there was one guy who really grilled on some technicalities. Other than that, it was a laid back process and the people were really nice. Didn't end up getting but enjoyed my experience!

Interview Questions

• If you had to pick a MSFT product and expand it to another market, how would and where would you do it?

The guy who grilled interviewees really hard also asked how do you design a piano for blind people? Thrown off by that one.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2012.

Interview

Many other reviews and blogs online accurately describe the Microsoft interview process and interview "loops", so definitely search those to know what to expect. I submitted my resume online for a job posting I saw on Linkedin that closely matched my experience and future career interests. Two weeks after I submitted my resume, a recruiter at Microsoft contacted me by phone and asked to set up time for a phone screen. It was definitely not just a basic HR screen but a true interview where I was asked questions directly related to the skills and content knowledge required for the job, so definitely prepare for that. During the call, the recruiter told me he would definitely recommend to the hiring manager that she should speak with me. Another phone interview was then set up with the hiring manager for the next week. We had an hour conversation that was less of an interview and more about her vision for the position and how my experience and ideas would fit into that. After that I was contacted by the same recruiter and told that I would have an on-campus interview. This was rescheduled once so it took another 3 weeks before I had my in-person interview at Microsoft. I was given a schedule of 4 interviewers and ended up speaking with 5 in a very small department, so although I felt like I did very well it's still a mystery if I completed my "loop" or not. Two weeks later I was contacted by the recruiter and told I didn't get the position but to apply for others, and received a lot of positive feedback, which should have been helpful but left me feeling confused about why I did not receive an offer.

Interview Questions

• For my marketing-focused interview, many of the questions were related not to my own work experience but were about what I thought about current Microsoft initiatives. It's important to be really familiar with products or initiatives that the role you're interviewing for might touch as well as the rest of the company because conversations will be long and sometimes undirected, and you'll need broad knowledge to be able to stay in the conversation.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

The hiring and interview process was fairly simple. Not too difficult. Rather standard interview questions and nothing really out of the ordinary.

Interview Questions

• I was rather prepared for most of it. They asked to see what technical skills I could bring to the team.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in September 2011.

Interview

The Microsoft process is a very thorough process that takes you to campus for a series of interviews (typically an entire afternoon or morning). In my case, I had 4 back-to-back 1:1 interviews and 3 of them were behavioral "fit" interviews where the interviewers just wanted to get to know me. Three of those were with fairly senior people, one was with a more junior member of the team. My one case interview went poorly (on my part): I had been asked to prep for Marketing-style questions ("what's the best marketed product," "how would you improve X product," etc.), and the only question my case interviewer asked me was "How would you price our product?" The interviewer helped me narrow it down later, but didn't add much to clarify while I tried to think about all the different pricing issues with software products. I probably got dinged on that interview alone. Very unfortunate, since I've interned there and I love Microsoft. Lesson learned: be very sure to know exactly what group you're interviewing for, if possible.