Microsoft Marketing Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 21, 2018

3.1

48 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I had a total of 5 interviews across 2 interview rounds. The first round was on the phone and included hypothetical case questions that asked what strategies would help for some situations (ex. taking market share from a leading competitor). The second round was in Redmond, and I had 4 interviews there- mainly behavioral questions were asked.

Interview Questions

• How would you convince other college students to switch to Windows products?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Marketing Interview

Interview

Was recruited by my school. There were on campus interviews for the position which I applied through our career website. I also had an internal referral from someone I know who works there. The first round was on campus and it wasn't bad at all. Make sure you know what marketing generally is and how to use segmenting, targeting and position to sell a product. Make sure you think about what products are marketed well too and know generally about MSFT products.

Final round I was flown out to Seattle. It was 6 back to back interviews with different divisions of MSFT marketing. Thought I did well, there was one guy who really grilled on some technicalities. Other than that, it was a laid back process and the people were really nice. Didn't end up getting but enjoyed my experience!

Interview Questions

• If you had to pick a MSFT product and expand it to another market, how would and where would you do it?

The guy who grilled interviewees really hard also asked how do you design a piano for blind people? Thrown off by that one.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phila, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Phila, PA) in January 2015.

Interview

Super basic. Asked questions like your strengths, weaknesses, tough situations. Recruiter was very friendly and probed me about my passion for Microsoft, and why I would pick it over another company.

Interview Questions

• Do you enjoy working in teams? If yes, tell me a time you didn't and how you fixed the problem   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

pretty starightforward, mostly fit questions and then some questions about your favorite tech products and why. the person was very nice and tried to put you at ease. I didn't get any brainteasers which was great.

Interview Questions

• what do you think is a tech product that is marketed particularly well and why?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2015.

Interview

Interview process was split into 4 individual interviews. They fly you out, set you up at a hotel, and cover transportation and food. Each one of the interviews lasts 45 mins to 1 hour and the topic ranges from interviewer to interviewer. It's mostly behavioral, though I got one case-type question.

Interview Questions

• Create a marketing strategy to sell Surface to college students   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Cambridge, MA) in January 2016.

Interview

Applied through campus recruiting, had an on campus interview that lasted 30 minutes. Very causal and nice environment. Half fit interview half marketing experience evaluation. They won't try to make you mess up, they want to see how you mentally approach each problem and see your thought process as you try to solve problems they present to you.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a marketing campaign you like? One you don't like and why?
      Questions on some of their products
      If you had to divest one of their products which one would it be?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Durham, NC) in January 2016.

Interview

On campus interview. 30 minutes in length. Worked through on campus recruiting and former alumni. Very helpful to reach out to prior connections at your school. Know your resume and be able to give an anecdote about each experience.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in April 2008.

Interview

i was an internal candidate so my interview process was pretty short. i interviewed first with the hiring manager and then with five people from the extended team of cross-group stakeholders. the interviews were pretty standard. nothing out of the ordinary.

Interview Questions

• what is the one thing you are most proud of accomplishing at microsoft   Answer Question
    • what is the one thing you are not so proud of in your career at microsoft   Answer Question

Negotiation

negotiation happened through the recruiter in email. i was able to negotiate a salary and level increase.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2011.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me and I was put in touch with department heads. We had two interviews. One skype, one in person. They asked me a variety of questions about my experience related to marketing and through hypothetical situations at me. It was a fairly painless process and everyone was quite friendly.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to manage a team with conflicting personalities.   Answer Question
    • How do you manage your clients expectations?   Answer Question

Not the right position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Fort Lauderdale, FL) in September 2010.

Interview

Recruiting process delivered by Microsoft HR department is the most wasting and dissapointing experience I have ever had. Microsoft have become in this heavy an inefficient dinosaur company loosing any trace of agility that once existed. You can expect many weeks to be passed between interviews with no status update sent to you from HR reps or Hiring Mgr whatsoever. My last process with them lasted 3 Months!, I went through 7 interviews, you have no more choice than just wait for days not knowing what's going on between interviews. Things that may happen:
    1. You are not the selected candidate, and they can't care any less that they have you waiting in the process for long, great chances are that they won't extend to you the courtesy to at least to let you know it's over.
    2. They "use" you as "the stuffing": by HR internal policies to hire a position a Minimum number of candidates needs to apply and be interviewed in every process ... You can find yourself waisting your precious time during the whole process not even having a chance right from the beginning.
    3. You can be the selected candidate and be giving an offer, but again the absurd process can take forever... Not sure if it's worth.
    I have seen these happening many times both from inside (Im a former MS Employee) and from outside as I explored for a while to get back in... (I know... Bad idea). At the end of the day, fortunately the fact that MS HR and lousy mgmt have wasted my time turned out the best for me, as that gave me the opportunity to look outside and find a great new job in another major IT company. Happy me.
    Yes, Its true!: There's a great life after MSFT.

Interview Questions

• What was the worded decision you have ever made at the job. Describe about when you really screwed up at the job and the consequences   Answer Question