Microsoft Marketing Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Marketing Manager Interview Questions

3.1

35 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

Typical Microsoft Interview, where you meet 3-4 people asking you about your background and then questions about how your past experience would apply to the current role. Once you make it through the first round of interviews you usually get send on to meet with an executive on the team. If you pass you usually get an offer.

Interview Questions

• When would your manager review your work as successful.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in September 2016.

Interview

Phone screen from recruiter followed by phone interview with hiring manager. Notified a few days later re availability for all-day in-person interviews (4-6 1:1 interviews) in Redmond. Tough interview and thoughtful questions. Best thing was that everyone was really nice and professional. Recommend preparing thoroughly based on job description. Suggest wearing dressy business casual (no suits, but no jeans). Overall process from online application to outcome was about 6 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Should you practice before your interview?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Durham, NC) in September 2016.

Interview

The process was laid back. My interviewer was dressed casually and provided an inviting environment in which we had a conversation. He started out asking me a few overview questions and used my resume as a framework for hearing more about my experience. It was a good feel for what working in the company would be like - collaborative and open.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself
      Why Microsoft?   1 Answer

Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Interview was set up through my university. Straight forward interview for a first round. 45 minute interview with one interviewer. Second round interviews are located on location at Microsoft HQ in Washington. This was for a Marketing Manager Internship. Lots of fit questions and a couple of mini-marketing case study questions. Candidates should be very familiar with Microsoft organizational structure, current products, challenges facing the company, and recent news.

Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Great interview process, there were several interviewers but they were all well coordinated so no overlap of questions. The last rung is the As Appropriate who is usually the skip level manager, so if you get to that person, consider you are faring well!

Interview Questions

• Describe a challenging situation and how you handled it   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

- Applied online
    - Contacted by recruiter via email
    - Phone interview (Recruiter) to filter out candidates
    - Recruiter scheduled a series of in-person interviews with six people
    - Six in-person interviews scheduled, with the last two being the hiring manager and the General Manager
    - After my final interview, the recruiter contacted me and said I received a "thumbs up" from all of the interviewers

Interview Questions

• What was the most ambiguous situation you've experienced on the job? How were you able to find a resolution? (Didn't find the questions tough. I actually went in prepared for a "how to move a mountain" type question)   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in December 2011.

Interview

Quick interview with recruiter from outsourced company. She had little understanding of the position she was interviewing me for and just ran down a checklist of requirements. I never heard back, the only requirement I did not meet was years experience.

Interview Questions

• How many years of experience do you have?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in September 2011.

Interview

7 interviews with 5 marketing managers, 1 director, and a GM. Each interview was 60 minutes. Questions varied significantly with some based on fit and others experience and skills. Interviews were direct and open. The role had many stakeholders and all were involved in the loop. It's critics to have subject matter expertise and examples of past programs.

Interview Questions

• What was your best day ever at work?   2 Answers

Negotiation

Direct with experience level being key to setting the role and compensation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in April 2011.

Interview

The first step was applying online, after which point about 2 weeks passed before I was contacted by a recruiter requesting a first phone interview. The first contact via phone was with the recruiter herself, which lasted roughly a half hour and was very high-level, general interest and experience questions.

After the initial interview via phone, I was contacted roughly one week later requesting a single phone interview with the hiring manager. The hiring manager phone interview was then scheduled about 1 week later, and in between the recruiter was quite adequate at contacting me and answering questions. The hiring manager phone interview was very much like the recruiter phone interview with some technical questions but more intensive and formal overall.

I was contacted a couple days after the hiring manager phone interview with news that the team was interested in having me come in. The soonest available date was about 2 weeks out, so I had some time in between where I did not hear much from the team at Microsoft. Finally, I was sent a packet of information via email to fill out before the in-person interview, and was given instructions.

The day of the interview was quite grueling. I met with 5 different people not including the recruiter, and each person seemed to test/focus on a different facet of my experience, skills, or personality. The first person I really clicked with: we talked over lunch about my experience, why I was interested in the role, and what I thought I could bring to the team. The second person was much more technical and asked specific task questions including abstract ideas and problem solving cases that might come up in the role I was applying for. This was the most difficult interviewer by far! The third person was a younger manager on the team, and he asked some experience questions and questions seeming to aim at personality traits as well as some technical questions - however, nowhere near as technical as the second person. The final person in the loop was brought in at the last minute and she was a senior manager on the same team. This person did not take notes or have a schedule to her interview, but asked difficult questions and was kind of 'cold' in general.

Looking back, I am glad I had the experience to interview, but I do understand why I did not get the job. At Microsoft, it is not enough to be a fast learner, you really need to be able to hit the ground running and if you do not fit the role 100% you will not get an offer. I had probably a 90% fit and they did not want to waste time ramping me up on the final 10%.

Interview Questions

• If I were to give you $5 billion to run media online for Hotmail, how and where would you spend it and why? In this scenario, you are trying to reach 5 billion acquisitions (meaning a CPA of $1).   Answer Question
    • I want to justify changing the format of a particular display ad on MSN Messenger. Do you think this change of creative is a good idea? Why or why not? How would you go about measuring the success, or lackthereof, of this change?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in April 2011.

Interview

Interviewed with a Senior Product Manager, casual interviewer, but serious about your answers

Interview Questions

• tell me about a marketing campaign that you like.   1 Answer
    • why Microsoft? How would you introduce/market a product to compete against the product you mentioned (in question above)?   Answer Question