Microsoft Marketing Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Marketing Manager Interview Questions

Updated Mar 8, 2017

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in April 2011.

Interview

Really odd process - it just very randomly and suddenly ended with no warning. I was basically left in the reception area without further instructions. I asked the receptionist what to do and she didn't know anything. I sat there for a while, hoping the recruiter would return or call me (or anything). Nothing happened and I never received replies to my email asking what had happened.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Microsoft?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in October 2010.

Interview

Interviewed at career fair with hiring manager. I was forwarded to the hr department of the group I would be hired into. After being introduced I had a brief call with the hr person. I believe this was a personality screening. I then interviewed with the hiring manager. The process went cold after that. I would like a "No" at least.

Interview Questions

• Describe your history   1 Answer
    • How would you describe you work ethic   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Kansas City, MO) in July 2010.

Interview

I spoke with the hiring manager, after the previous 5 techies that HR had identified for her all told her to talk to me. That she needed someone with my skills. I interviewed one on one with the hiring manager. Then same day another hour long interview with 3 other managers in the office and had a written offer by 5:30pm

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Microsoft   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2009.

Interview

Long interview process but the hiring process went pretty quickly.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about estimating how many manholes their are in Manhattan streets?   Answer Question

Negotiation

It went quickly

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in March 2009.

Interview

I had 3 phone interviews with various people on the team which was followed by formal inteviews which consisted 6 interviews- some were follow ups from the phone interviews. The last one judges for "fit" within company and culture. Interviews were relatively easy - maybe because I knew what I was doing and was well prepared. I enjoyed the fit discussion - got an offer a few days later and accepted.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in September 2008.

Interview

The recruiters at MS are great, and very encouraging. however, It seems like the hiring teams / managers are extremely prejudiced against outside hires --- if you were really smart you'd already be working here. They expect an amazing amount of pre-knowledge of the MS way of going to market.

I am not sure why they bother to bring in outside candidates when their overwhelming preference is to hire from within.

Some interviewers were very disengaged --- you know in the first 10 mins that this interviewer is going to ding you -- because of something!!?? And your left to guess what that something is the whole plane ride home.

Interview Questions

• What is the worst business or career decision you ever made and what did you learn from it?   1 Answer
    • What do you have passion for ?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (New York, NY) in July 2008.

Interview

The interview process was ok with the Sr Manager of Digital Marketing himself calling to set up the interview. The interview lasted for an hour, was more of a pressure interview where they would ask a series of questions with an aim to gauge how much a candidate can take. I did pass the test, but finally didnt get the offer as they didnt want Masters candidate for the position..Wish they had decided before the process

Interview Questions

• It's Friday afternoon and you are neck deep in a client deliverable, right then your boss asks you to finish another deliverable. Which one will you choose and why ?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA) in April 2008.

Interview

I was a vendor in the same department as where I was interviewing. As such the interview was a little odd as I was talking with people I had been working with for the last 8 months. I feel having contracted before (on essentially the same work) gave me a huge advantage for the job since the real “interview” happened in the months prior.

I interviewed with five different people and knew more about the nature of the work and department then any of them (again, because of my experience as a vendor). The interviewers included a wide variety of directors that I would be working with as well as one GM from another marketing org who was a stakeholder of the position with no reporting relationship. All of them asked mostly general interest, personality, and culture type questions as well as discussing their individual department strategies. The GM simply wanted to know how me switching from vendor to fte would affect him and said he had already given my recommendation prior to the interview. The hiring manager was really the only resource with a vision for how the role should function and he spent much of his interview communicating this (which was very helpful).

Again, I feel my real “interview” happened through my work and successes in the same department as a contractor. As this organization has a fairly significant contractor budget they very commonly take a “try before you buy” approach where they hire contractors who demonstrate real capability. This also gave me excellent visibility in to the culture and work environment in advance so by the time I was hired on I already knew exactly what to expect, had no surprises at all, was fully ramped up, and had a ton of work from day one. Despite what I was told, the interview process felt more like a formality than anything else and I believe they altered the FTE position specifically so they could hire me into it.

Interview Questions

• What makes a good manager   1 Answer
    • How do you handle a disagreement between yourself and a high level stakeholder in another department   1 Answer

Negotiation

I wasn’t able to successfully negotiate any salary increase with either the recruiter or hiring manager. This is partly because the initial offer was pretty fair (I had a hard time providing evidence or industry data showing I should be getting more). Also I had the disadvantage of them knowing exactly what I was making via my Microsoft contract (they held my existing contract and knew what percentage my company was paying me).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2008.

Interview

The recruiter found my resume and called me and I had a phone screen. After that I spoke to the hiring manager and he asked me to fly out to Redmond HQ for an interview. I met with the recruiter, then two members of the team and was finished by 1pm. The interview seemed "off". My questions were met with irritation and if this was some sort of stress test, have a good day. I did not fit in well with the team and was not surprised that I was not offered the job.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if the GM had planned for 500K of a marketing campaign, but the other team members decided not to proceed with it? How would you tell the GM that his marketing intiative will not take place.   1 Answer
    • How do you communicate?   1 Answer

Market Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in July 2007.

Interview

structured, different aspects of compatibility with the team, knowledge of the industry, etc were tested

Interview Questions

Negotiation

ask for more money, they always offer lower end of their potential offer