Microsoft Mechanical Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Mechanical Engineer Interview Questions

3.4

Mechanical Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Atlanta, GA) in September 2016.

Interview

Met recruiters at campus career fair and was invited to participate in a case competition. About a week after the competition, received an email to sign up for an on-campus first round interview.

Interview Questions

• Interview was super laid back. No specific questions. I had brought some of my work from a previous internship, so we talked about that.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft in October 2015.

Interview

Turned in a resume at a University recruiting event. Got a reply about 10 days later and had my first screening interview on university campus. It was pretty straight forward, just show your passion for the job and company.

Did have a few issues with the coordinate leaving Microsoft and I was left out of the loop for almost a month. MS Career Support was helpful though and they forwarded me to someone who could help. Still waiting to hear back though.

Mechanical Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Applied online through for the position and was contacted by a recruiter about a month later saying that they wanted to do an oncampus first round interview. The interview was with a ME and was mostly technical with a couple questions like "why microsoft" etc.

Heard back later in the week that they wanted to fly me up to Seattle for a final round interview. They flew me out and I had 4 interviews in 4 hours (1 hour each) all morning. All of the interviews were mostly the same (about 30 minutes of technical questions and 30 minutes for personality questions and my own questions about Microsoft). Pretty standard mechanics of materials and thermal design questions

Interview Questions

• cantilever beam deflection   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in January 2015.

Interview

Very straight forward. Very long. Exhausting, but a good way to meet all the other current employers as they interview you. After the third interviewer, I felt like I was just saying the same thing over and over again. There were some interviewers that were much more interesting to talk to. Others just stared at me, even once I was done with my response.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2014.

Interview

4 Rounds of interviews onsite. I would categorize them into Design, Work Ethic, Technical and Motivation.

In my Design Interview, I was asked to design for an application while getting more and more constraints. It was to help see your though process and come up with new novel ways to solve problems.

In Work Ethic, we talked about deciding between two designs, at a point where parallel paths could not be taken. We should always ignore personal beliefs and look at the data to help us choose the correct path to follow.

The Technical interview was the most difficult. I was brought in front of a very stern engineer who tested my abilities on mechanics and thermodynamics.

The last was Motivation. Why did I want to work on Microsoft and why did I want to be a hardware engineer? What did I think was coming in the future and how would I help Microsoft through design and character.

Interview Questions

• How many ways would you improve on our current device? List them.   1 Answer

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

Interview

I submitted my resume to Microsoft at a career fair and got an email a couple weeks later requesting an on-campus interview. The interview was casual and the interviewer explained what the company was looking for and the areas that they were hiring in. I was told the review process would take around 6 weeks to complete and if they were interested, they would fly me to their campus in Washington for 6 additional interviews.

Interview Questions

• What was a problem you had in a technical project and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2012.

Interview

It all started with me giving out my resume at the campus career fair. After a month or so, I got set up for an interview call with a manager, which went quite well. Most questions were conceptual like use of DOE, whether I like to work as a team or as an individual and so on.

After the interview went well, I was asked to appear for an on-site interview. The accommodation and travel arrangements were very well taken care off. On the d-day, I met with 4 different team managers.

On the first round, the manager asked me to compare between ipad and surface, the casing, and certain projects that I have worked on.

Second round, I again explained certain significant projects that I had done over my past experience, but since I had worked as a design engineer, I couldn't answer much on the QA side (cp, cpk, minitab).

The third round was funny in a way that the interviewer inquired about my projects, then said that I'd be a very good fit for a particular group in the organization. Till then, all the interviewers were very articulate in understanding and were also prodding me on coming up to the right approach. It was very good till then.

On the fourth round, my interviewer was a particularly inarticulate person switching continuously between various concepts and technologies. It din't matter to me that he was constantly switching between stuff, but him being inarticulate and non-responsive towards my answers bothered me a bit.

All in all, the process made me think a lot on my foot often and was a bit tiring too (4 back to back interviews in 5 hours time). Also, its well known that microsoft HR DO NOT give any interview feedback. So its better not to be expected.

Interview Questions

• Is aluminum (ipad cover) more corrosive or less corrosive than magnesium alloy (surface casing)?

Lots of basic geometry, simple mechanisms (simply supported and cantilever beams), etc.

Bit of characterization methods
      1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in June 2011.

Interview

This review summarizes about three separate interviews for different jobs. One of them was a "direct" position at Microsoft; the other two were through an agency. In all cases, I was left with the feeling that the interviewers were actually holograms, and someone had left out the "human personality" part of the algorithm. One of the interviewers had a laptop, and was on it the whole time. I don't think he realized when the interview ended. The other one had a dull blank stare; definitely did not want to be there.

Interview Questions

• They really use the behavior interview style questions, or questions that don't relate to what is on the resume.

1. Imagine a fly on a cube, and it has to get from its location to another location on the cube in the shortest distance. Draw a line of this path.
      2. What is the minimum number of elements needed in an FEA model of a beam under pure tensile loading?
      1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2011.

Interview

Lengthy. The main factor that affected the entire process was that I really had set my sights on working at the company. This adversely impacted my approach, and also caused me to be real nervous. I also didn't have the benefit of knowing that Microsoft often uses impossible interview questions just to see how people act under stress. I actually believed the questions were "real" when in reality they were just computer-generated arrangements of random words or something.

Interview Questions

• What are the minimum number of elements needed to fully describe a beam in pure tensile loading using FEA?   1 Answer

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft in November 2011.

Interview

Initial communications with Microsoft began at a campus recruiting event. I submitted my resume to be considered for general hardware positions, and I got an on campus interview.

The first interview was good, and actually very fun. I was asked open-ended questions about products and their development, my passion for Microsoft, etc.

About two weeks later I was notified via email from one of the recruiters that I had made it to the final round. While travel arrangements were set up, I had a phone interview with an engineer. They asked about past experiences related to the field, and then the bulk of the conversation centered on two technical questions that hit on key principles in mechanical engineering. I did well on those, and then the conversation concluded.

Weeks later, I came to Seattle with many other recruits from different universities around the country. Hotel, transportation, food - all of these things were taken care of. On the day of interviews, I spoke with 4 different engineers from multiple groups, with a little bit of a break between each one. The first two were heavy on challenging my ability to brainstorm and think about lots of different aspects of a problem. The third interview was geared about half toward some past work experience and half on technical questions. The fourth was very technical and difficult. There were some concepts and equations that I hadn't seen for years since early engineering classes that I was expected to remember and apply on the spot. It seemed they were really trying to draw out knowledge of fundamental principles and their applications.

After all the interviews, I was pulled aside by one of the recruiters and informed that I would not be getting an offer at that time. I was assured that this was not an insult to my intelligence but just that there wasn't a good match at the moment with my particular skill set. Unfortunately, that was the limit of feedback I received - apparently it is company policy not to give any sort of interview feedback. Overall it was a great experience - I learned a lot, got to see Seattle, and met some great people in the process.

Interview Questions

• Describe a technical problem from your experiences and describe how you went about solving it.   Answer Question