Microsoft Interview Questions in Mountain View, CA | Glassdoor

3.1

61 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Mountain View, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

Indian interviewers at microsoft, insecure of their own jobs, purposely messed my interview. They dont want people to come in, and interview rejection is the ideal weapon used. If the interviewer is Indian guy then the interview is more about satisfying his FRAGILE EGO than being technically correct.

Interview Questions

• - Indian egoistic interviewer messed with pointer, reference, passing by value. He did not allow me an opportunity or time to explain a function that I was writing. Absolute non-sense at the virtual reality camera group in Mountain View CA.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

Phone interview with team lead. Coding and testing questions.
    One day onsite interview with recruiter, team members and manager.
    Got offer a week later through phone and accepted after negotiation. The recruiter had pretty strong negotiation skills.

Interview Questions

• Coding, logical thinking, testing strategies, problem solving   Answer Question

Technical Evangelist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

I was recruited by Microsoft directly. I had an initial phone interview with a TE, who was very nice to talk to. She just asked me questions about my resume, interest in Microsoft, classes I took, etc. Just general questions. I got an email a few days later and flew out to Mountain View to have an in-person interview. I interviewed with four TE's, two were coding interviews and two were soft skills interviews.
    Coding interview was based on what my resume said (I was asked technical questions based on what I have worked on). All of the interviewers were wonderful to talk to and let me be open and honest.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions: Explain MVC, Polymorphism, Object-Oriented Programming   Answer Question

Silicon Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Mountain View, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I submitted my application online around fall of 2015 and was contacted a few weeks later for an on-campus interview at my university. At the on-campus interview I was asked behavioral questions and then tested on NAND gate truth table, K-map, and transistor design as well as setup and hold time. After 3 weeks I was rejected at first. But 2 months later, I was contacted again saying that more positions opened up. I was then flown out to the Silicon Valley campus in February. I had 4 interviews in one day. The first ask about MOSFET design and properties. The second asked about state machine design. The third asked various questions about DC and AC circuits and converting MUX to AND gate. The last interview was with the manager and he asked me questions about computer architecture because I had it on my resume. I didn't perform perfectly on every question, but I made sure to ask questions and state assumptions. The whole interview process is great because there are people talking to you the whole way, no automated computer e-mails.

Interview Questions

• MOSFET design and properties, state machine design, DC/AC circuits, Logic design, and Computer Architecture.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Mountain View, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

It was done online and via telephone. It was rescheduled many, many, many times. It also included some video interviews when the telephone interviews weren't long or tedious enough or the time wasn't rescheduled enough. Overall, it was quite an interesting experience. I would definitely recommend it to anyone seeking to working in software development or product or program management.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Mountain View, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

I applied for Intern position in Microsoft.
    First they would do an on-campus interview in your university. If you can pass that, you will come to the final-round interview, which is on-site. Microsoft would compensate your travel, food, hotel, etc. fee. The final-round would last 4 hours since it consists of 4 smaller interviews, usually 3 engineers and 1 team manager. And in a few days they will give you feedback.

Interview Questions

• Describe one of your favorite projects in your resume and the most difficult part of it.   Answer Question

Summer Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Mountain View, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

I applied through campus. the interview had technical questions and basic product management questions. The overall experience was good. I was asked to use white board to do the technical coding question

Interview Questions

• Which Mircosoft product do you like? what features would yo add to it?sorting algorithm and code   Answer Question

Mechanical Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Mountain View, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

My interview felt generally a bit disorganized. A few people that were scheduled to interview didn't show up, and in one interview there was several people at the same time because of scheduling mishaps. There was a mix of program managers, EEs, and MEs on the panel. They did feed me lunch and the recruiter was very informative throughout the whole process.

Interview Questions

• Be comfortable and be yourself. Let them decide if you fit the job requirements, as opposed to trying to shape your skills to match the job description.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Didn't negotiate because the offer was reasonable enough. Found out later that they generally don't negotiate anyway.

Engineer for Hololens Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Mountain View, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

The HR bungled the scheduling so when I arrived on site they were scrambling to get a schedule for me. The team interviewed me sequentially and most of them were courteous/professional. A particular superstar manager hired from AAPL was sort of the owner of the building and he was full of it. He interrupted often, could only ask knowledge based questions without being able to ask thought process related questions, and make confident claims in the field of my expertise that I knew were totally wrong. I stayed courteous, but wasn't really that interested in working under him.

Nor did I hear back from them for weeks until I inquired the hiring manager. I honestly think that's not very courteous.

Senior Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Mountain View, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

The entire process was very quick. After applying through the MS Careers site, I was contacted within a few days by a recruiter and we began discussing what the role entailed, a brief description of myself and career experience, as well as goals/motivation for seeking the new position. The same day, they scheduled a phone screening with the hiring manager.

I got a reply back the next day from the recruiter and we discussed further the interview process, scheduling options, and the duration of the process. This all happened within 5 days.

The following week I went in for the on-site interview and met with the hiring manager who I'd spoken to on the phone. We reviewed what was going to happen during the day, then he handed me off to the first interviewer. We spent a good amount of time talking about the fundamental power supply topologies and discussed our common experience having gone to the same graduate school.

When we were finished, I got to share lunch with the next interviewer, an engineer who would tentatively be my peer in the group. Rapport was also good here. I was able to teach him a few things about the fundamentals of some electronics circuits and he seemed genuinely interested in what I could bring to the team. This all why eating; no pressure.

Next was a director of another group, parallel to the hiring manager. There was little formality to this (which kept nerves in check) and his questions primarily dealt with subject matter outside of my experience so he was surprisingly gracious with expectations. He was, as was the case through most of the day, seeking how I solved the problems, not so much the exact answers.

After that, I met with another engineer who would be my peer in another group. We discussed best practices of board layout and general circuit design. Again, good interaction, though not as technical as the prior discussion. He's a very quiet person, so I wasn't able to read his reactions in the interview itself, but I felt confident throughout.

Another engineer; rinse & repeat. Pretty much the same questions as the previous person.

Then I met again with the hiring manager who gave me some more technical questions than he'd previously asked. I was able to satisfactorily walk through the questions despite having not worked on such a circuit in some time.

Finally, I met the skip-level manager of the department. He was immediately enthusiastic about my then-employer and discussed a bunch of previous encounters with them. Then he handed me a piece of paper that showed a circuit he'd previously worked on and asked me how it operated. Again, I was able to satisfactorily answer these questions. He had a meeting immediately following so I was sort of unceremoniously dismissed for the day without being able to talk further with the previous interviewers or even being escorted out of the lobby. I went home that day with a pretty good feeling about how it all went, but wasn't sure how to handle the exit.

However, it was only 2 days later that I received a job offer from the recruiter and we discussed what the next steps were and when I could start. All told, the entire process from application to receiving an offer was about 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• How does a battery charger work? How does a buck regulator work? What's the best way to lay out this type of circuit? What are some considerations with this circuit's operation as shown? How does this circuit work?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I'd always been told that one should ask for more or at least determine if negotiation is even a possibility. I simply asked during the follow up offer phone call about this. The recruiter graciously denied any possibility of a stronger offer, but as Microsoft is generally at the high end of the salary range for engineers, I wasn't expecting more. The offer was much better than my then-compensation so there was little hesitation taking the offer despite not being able to negotiate.