Microsoft Network Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Network Engineer Interview Questions

2.8

4 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2012.

Interview

Process was pretty straight forward. The team I interviewed with was in the games division. First interview was with teh manager. He asked a couple light technical questions, which I did well on. He handed me off to the next guy who was very technically savvy. I choked, and he was less than tactful. The point of this review: Be prepared. I wasn't and was quickly exposed. Prepare to answer high-level questions and the be prepared to whiteboard and answer some deeper questions. Prepare!

Interview Questions

• Given a very large existing network with thousands of external connections, how would you add an additional few hundred connections?   3 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in June 2011.

Interview

Got an email from Contracting recruiter about the Network Engineer position. Next week later, I got a P2P interview at Redmond. It was pleasant; arrived early so I can walk around. Finally, met with he interviewer - cool guy.
    Told him about my limited dev. and testing skills from the Get-Go, more involved in Cisco IOS CLI and network configuration.
    Asked me very, easy questions like - if my VOIP call dropped, what happened? how to backup running-config's on router? how would you troubleshoot a router if ICMP is turned off.

About the last question: who would be stupid enough to turn ICMP off? After he said that, I already knew the Interview was a waste of time and probably the Interview was to only make it seem like he was "busy."

Interview Questions

• how would you troubleshoot a router if ICMP is turned off.   5 Answers
    • Using my linksys router - VOIP call shuts down, all of a sudden.
      (Presuming all other ports are working).   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2010.

Interview

Microsoft's network engineering team does a fast, efficient, day long (five hours) team interview. You may well meet three other candidates there for the same round of interviews in a different order. In my case, the people I interviewed with asked a variety of intelligent questions - it was a good technical interview without any of the legendary MS questions. Watch yourself at lunch. On the whole, expect a thorough interview about networking with intelligent people and leave the rest for the fit.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Dallas, TX) in February 2009.

Interview

I was interviewed on college campus and then they invited me for a office visit where I got a technical interview, then met the manager for the final interview. Be ready for trouble shooting questions and answer following the question: If Bill Gates is sitting across this table, why would he hire you?