Microsoft Premier Field Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Premier Field Engineering Interview Questions

Updated May 8, 2017

3.7

Premier Field Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I interviewed with two recruiters on the same team to start out. Then, the recruiter sent my resume to another recruiter that had positions that matches my clearance level. He then set me up and interview with two PFE's, which I made it through. Next, I meet with a guy here on the post I work on for a face to face. I had some weaknesses. The next day I had a Skype call with the hiring manager and I thought the interview went really well. A little over a week later, the recruiter emailed me and said they would like to setup another skype call with a Sr. PFE. The interview went well as he told me he was giving me a thumbs up. I was excited. Almost two weeks went by and I heard nothing so I decided to email the recruiter to check the status. He responded and said we decided to pursue other candidates and that's it. I was really upset. When I interviewed with the hiring manager he said that if they decided now isn't the time, they will tell me why so I can know what I needed to work on. I didn't receive any kind of feedback.

Interview Questions

• Q: What was the most fun you had on a job?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Premier Field Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

This interview started with a phone call with an advisor. Very straight forward process. Got logistics out of the way in the beginning, then moved on to interview questions. Finished with extra time to ask the reviewer questions. The interviewer then explained that they would be in touch if I made it to the next round. The whole process was short, taking about 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• When was a time when you were striving for a goal and came across an obstacle?   1 Answer
    • Can you explain the internet to my 80 year old grandmother?   1 Answer

Premier Field Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft in January 2017.

Interview

Initial interview was to determine if your a top candidate for in person interview. I was flown to Redmond and conducted 5 more interviews in person. I am still pending results from interviews.

Interview Questions

• Describe FISMO roles and what are they.   1 Answer

Premier Field Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I applied online but had an employee referral as well. They selected me for the screening phone interview which was fairly basic. They had a dozen tech questions related to my area of expertise. Very basic questions overall but details that you might not think about on a daily basis. Think of Technet documentation on minimum specs, etc. This interview also covered my current salary (which was required to proceed with the interview) and made sure I was OK with travelling.

Next, I was interviewed by two senior level PFEs over Skype. They were extremely knowledgeable but were very friendly at the same time. This interview was probably the toughest interview I've ever had. Their job is basically to drill down to the level where you have to say "I don't know". I was able to answer most questions, and they skipped an entire major component of the product I work with because I was able to answer everything to their satisfaction. Instead, they chose to focus on my weaker areas and kept pressing until I had to tell them I was unsure of the answer. Apparently this is totally fine and they aren't expecting perfect answers. They simply want to make sure you understand the product to the level they expect and didn't just go out and memorize the tech answers for the first interview.

The last interview was more like a conversation than an interview. I traveled on-site and met with a director and the hiring manager. They were very laid back and mostly just talked about my goals, what the job was like, where I saw myself in 5 years, what working for Microsoft is like, etc. They did have a few basic questions but nothing difficult. I was very impressed with how personal they were. They came off as friendly and laid back. They gave me plenty of time to ask questions as well. I heard back within a day or two with the offer.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Microsoft?

Have you pursued any certifications lately, or are any on your road map in the future?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (New York, NY) in November 2015.

Interview

There were 3 levels of interview, including the initial phone screen. The phone screen included technical questions requiring fairly specific answers. I was subsequently called by a recruiter who worked with me through the rest of the process, scheduling the technical interview and then the manager interview. I was very impressed with the overall process, the recruiter was extremely helpful and great to work with.

Interview Questions

• What are the 3 types of DNS Zones?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Charlotte, NC) in March 2015.

Interview

From the time I was contacted by the Microsoft recruiter until I took my first technical interview was about two to three weeks, which was a little longer than I expected. The interviews consisted of a technical phone screen via Lynk with two seasoned PFE's, followed by an in-person interview with the manager of the PFE group with which I was interviewing.

Both interviews went well, and the people I interviewed with were very nice and personable. I have interviewed with Microsoft before, and worked with them as a partner, and in all of my interactions I have always been impressed by the caliber of people they have and how outgoing they are.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe a situation when you would not use a clustered columnstore index.   1 Answer
    • Can you name the six properties of SQL Server tables?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Their offer was satisfactory, no negotiation needed.

Premier Field Engineer Interview

Interview

Very easy going group, technical questions but overall very behavioral feel to the interview similar to many other company's (target, Cargill etc...). Great Company to work for and fantastic benefits

Premier Field Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

4 Rounds - Technical, Client handling skills, Management & HR. Technical got lot of deep technical knowledge.IF you love Microsoft technology you can crack it. Client handling & Management round are scenario base- Be careful what you answer :)

Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Irving, TX) in June 2014.

Interview

Call from Recruiter at MS. Led to some tech questions from recruiter. She said I didn't have to be SME. I wasn't! Led to 1/2 hour interview on site with 2 managers.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2013.

Interview

Went to on-campus career fair and talked to a recruiter about being a PM on a product group - they collected my resume. I never applied online or through university career website, but I received an email from a recruiter to set up a phone interview with very short notice (~18 hrs). I did that, not knowing for which position I was interviewing. During the phone screen, I was told that I was interviewing for Premier Field Engineer and was given a brief rundown of the position. Phone interview was 35 minutes with behavioral questions and one brain-teaser/logic question that took the majority of the time.

I received an email about 10 days later inviting me for an on-site interview in Redmond. Four masters students and four undergrad were all interviewing for same position, all with same first round experiences. Interview day at Redmond consisted of lunch and then four consecutive interviews. First one was extremely technical, second one was situational/business sense/case-like. The other two were extremely friendly conversations where no direct interview questions were asked. I felt I did extremely well on the technical interview and fairly well on the situational one. They were very interested in how I approached both technical and people-oriented problems. They were extremely inquisitive about my thought process and methodology. The second two interviews were interesting, both with senior managers who talked to about sports, video games, hobbies, the job, Microsoft, etc. The first two interviews were intense, the second two were easy.

I received an email and call after a week offering me the position.

Interview Questions

• Brainteaser/case questions regarding both technical and situational circumstances.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Offer was non-negotiable but generous. Offer was only valid for two weeks.