Microsoft Premier Field Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 28, 2017

3.6

31 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Dallas, TX) in December 2017.

Interview

This was my experience applying for Microsoft's customer-facing technology roles (which later turned into the MACH program during the course of my application).

1. Spoke to a rep on campus during career week and turned in my resume. Also applied online.

2. About 3 weeks later, had a 30-minute phone call with a generic recruiter. All behavioral questions.

3. About a month later, received an email from my school's recruiter saying that they were having trouble fitting everyone in for final interviews and that I may have to wait a while. He asked me to email him if I got other offers in the meantime.

4. A week later, I got another offer from a different company, so I emailed my recruiter letting him know. He told me he would need two people to cancel on him for me to be able to interview before my offer deadline, so I didn't expect anything to happen.

5. A week later, I got a call saying that a spot to interview had opened up for the following day in Texas. I needed to hop on a plane the next morning at 5AM and prepare a presentation, but I figured it's final interviews at Microsoft...I'm going to make it happen!

6. The final interviews were just two behavioral interviews with three people, and in one of those I gave my presentation. Everyone was very friendly and sincere. No one tried to stump me with difficult questions. I was surprised that there were no technical questions, but I think they were more interested in my ability to explain things on my resume and hold a conversation than technical skills. (As they say, it's easier to teach someone technical skills than social skills.)

7. Exactly 1 week later, I received the official offer letter!

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Premier Field Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I interviewed with two recruiters on the same team to start out. Then, the recruiter sent my resume to another recruiter that had positions that matches my clearance level. He then set me up and interview with two PFE's, which I made it through. Next, I meet with a guy here on the post I work on for a face to face. I had some weaknesses. The next day I had a Skype call with the hiring manager and I thought the interview went really well. A little over a week later, the recruiter emailed me and said they would like to setup another skype call with a Sr. PFE. The interview went well as he told me he was giving me a thumbs up. I was excited. Almost two weeks went by and I heard nothing so I decided to email the recruiter to check the status. He responded and said we decided to pursue other candidates and that's it. I was really upset. When I interviewed with the hiring manager he said that if they decided now isn't the time, they will tell me why so I can know what I needed to work on. I didn't receive any kind of feedback.

Interview Questions

• Q: What was the most fun you had on a job?   1 Answer

Premier Field Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

This interview started with a phone call with an advisor. Very straight forward process. Got logistics out of the way in the beginning, then moved on to interview questions. Finished with extra time to ask the reviewer questions. The interviewer then explained that they would be in touch if I made it to the next round. The whole process was short, taking about 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• When was a time when you were striving for a goal and came across an obstacle?   1 Answer
    • Can you explain the internet to my 80 year old grandmother?   1 Answer

Premier Field Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft in January 2017.

Interview

Initial interview was to determine if your a top candidate for in person interview. I was flown to Redmond and conducted 5 more interviews in person. I am still pending results from interviews.

Interview Questions

• Describe FISMO roles and what are they.   1 Answer

Premier Field Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I applied online but had an employee referral as well. They selected me for the screening phone interview which was fairly basic. They had a dozen tech questions related to my area of expertise. Very basic questions overall but details that you might not think about on a daily basis. Think of Technet documentation on minimum specs, etc. This interview also covered my current salary (which was required to proceed with the interview) and made sure I was OK with travelling.

Next, I was interviewed by two senior level PFEs over Skype. They were extremely knowledgeable but were very friendly at the same time. This interview was probably the toughest interview I've ever had. Their job is basically to drill down to the level where you have to say "I don't know". I was able to answer most questions, and they skipped an entire major component of the product I work with because I was able to answer everything to their satisfaction. Instead, they chose to focus on my weaker areas and kept pressing until I had to tell them I was unsure of the answer. Apparently this is totally fine and they aren't expecting perfect answers. They simply want to make sure you understand the product to the level they expect and didn't just go out and memorize the tech answers for the first interview.

The last interview was more like a conversation than an interview. I traveled on-site and met with a director and the hiring manager. They were very laid back and mostly just talked about my goals, what the job was like, where I saw myself in 5 years, what working for Microsoft is like, etc. They did have a few basic questions but nothing difficult. I was very impressed with how personal they were. They came off as friendly and laid back. They gave me plenty of time to ask questions as well. I heard back within a day or two with the offer.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Microsoft?

Have you pursued any certifications lately, or are any on your road map in the future?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (New York, NY) in November 2015.

Interview

There were 3 levels of interview, including the initial phone screen. The phone screen included technical questions requiring fairly specific answers. I was subsequently called by a recruiter who worked with me through the rest of the process, scheduling the technical interview and then the manager interview. I was very impressed with the overall process, the recruiter was extremely helpful and great to work with.

Interview Questions

• What are the 3 types of DNS Zones?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Charlotte, NC) in March 2015.

Interview

From the time I was contacted by the Microsoft recruiter until I took my first technical interview was about two to three weeks, which was a little longer than I expected. The interviews consisted of a technical phone screen via Lynk with two seasoned PFE's, followed by an in-person interview with the manager of the PFE group with which I was interviewing.

Both interviews went well, and the people I interviewed with were very nice and personable. I have interviewed with Microsoft before, and worked with them as a partner, and in all of my interactions I have always been impressed by the caliber of people they have and how outgoing they are.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe a situation when you would not use a clustered columnstore index.   1 Answer
    • Can you name the six properties of SQL Server tables?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Their offer was satisfactory, no negotiation needed.

Premier Field Engineer Interview

Interview

Very easy going group, technical questions but overall very behavioral feel to the interview similar to many other company's (target, Cargill etc...). Great Company to work for and fantastic benefits

Premier Field Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

4 Rounds - Technical, Client handling skills, Management & HR. Technical got lot of deep technical knowledge.IF you love Microsoft technology you can crack it. Client handling & Management round are scenario base- Be careful what you answer :)

Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Irving, TX) in June 2014.

Interview

Call from Recruiter at MS. Led to some tech questions from recruiter. She said I didn't have to be SME. I wasn't! Led to 1/2 hour interview on site with 2 managers.