Microsoft Product Management Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Product Management Interview Questions

3.4

5 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in September 2014.

Interview

A friend referred me for an internship opportunity. After a phone screen, they flew me out to Redmond to interview for the PM intern position. I went through 4 or 5 rounds of interviews and they emailed me the offer the next day.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Boston, MA) in April 2014.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by a technical recruiter from west coast. This was followed by telephonic interview with the recruiter as well as couple of hiring managers. Post which I was asked to appear for an in person interview in the east coast where I got an opportunity to meet the engineering team members and I managed to get through

Interview Questions

• Not many unexpected questions if you are well aware of the technicalities, business model and engineering processes   Answer Question

Product Management Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft in April 2014.

Interview

It was through on-campus recruiting at my school, so the interviewer was talking to a large number of students over the course of the day. He was incredibly nice, though, and very willing to answer questions. The general position I applied for was in the engineering track, and from there you could be placed into Software Development, Software Development in Test, or Product Management. He asked which I was most leaning towards (PM), and then my questions were geared toward that.
    We talked about what kinds of classes I had taken and what experience I had had, pretty typical interview stuff, before the real "product management focused" questions.

Interview Questions

• How would you design a remote control for an air conditioner?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2007.

Interview

I worked at MSFT for 8 years. I went thru all day interview process twice. Once for an MBA internship and once for a fulltime gig. While at MSFT, I managed a team of 8-10 product managers for most of my time there. I was constantly interviewing others for positions on my team while there. Some thoughts for interviewing for marketing positions

1) Passion. Absolutely mandatory to show passion for technology. Often it is less abotu absoute knowledge and more about passion and ability to ramp. Your first PC, what you like about your ipod, why smartphones will change the world, etc. Pick your story and use it during the interview. Become familar and direct questions back to where you are comforatble.

2) Structured Thining. MSFT is a place of grayness often. It is up to you to figure things out. Having frameworks and strucuture to thinking is key. It will help you address unkown or new challenges - at work and in the interview process.

3) Metrics. Like any big company, metrics are key. MSFT is just figuring this out relative to your big marketing companies like P&G. Show how you think about metrics - markeshare, revenue, new accounts, etc. Use metrics to show your past expereinces and projects

Interview Questions

• Case questions. You will probably get them.   1 Answer
    • How you would change a specific product.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Hard to negotiate. Lots of frameworks that folks need to work within. Understand the level system there and shoot for higher levels - all compensation trickle off of the level.

Product Management Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft in July 2008.

Interview

Interview loop,pretty standard. Lots of situational interviewing.

Interview Questions

• Focus on key skill areas, like communications, collaboration, intellectual horsepower, etc.   Answer Question