Microsoft Product Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 9, 2018

3.2

61 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Boston, MA) in January 2015.

Interview

Applied through my campus' career program, was notified of the interview the week before. Was interviewed by a friendly man who asked basic resume questions as well as one tough product manager question. I then asked him questions that I had at the end. I did not receive a second-round interview which would have required me to fly out to Washington to Microsoft headquarters.

Interview Questions

• Basic resume questions, as well as why I was interested in tech/why Microsoft/why PM. This was followed by a detailed product management question with 3 or 4 follow-up questions, probably totaling around 6-8 minutes. Then I was allowed to ask the interviewer any questions I had.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft (Mountain View, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

Had 1 technical interview, 2 design interviews and 1 behavioral interview. The interviewers were all from different divisions and the behavioral interview was very short.

I tend to be nervous during technical interviews but the interviewer was very friendly. The design questions were fun and it was overall a good experience.

Interview Questions

• How would you design a web-based application for collaborative work?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in April 2011.

Interview

It involved one phone screen and 5 in-person interviews. I was internal candidate, so I applied through internal job portal. the team took a long time to make decision.

Interview Questions

• The questions were on the background, why product management, why that group and situational / behavioral questions such as how would you convince others, when you made use of data etc. Other questions relates to product management on how would you make make payments easy on phones and xbox.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2014.

Interview

I was referred through a friend, then had a few phone screenings. I then had an on-campus interview in Redmond. Overall, the experience was really great. I was interviewed by 4 PM's over the course of one day. Everyone was very supportive. It was very exhausting. Microsoft accommodated a 2 night/ 3 day stay at a hotel near HQ. They also gave the interviewee cohort passes to the Space Needle and a lot of the interns went.

Interview Questions

• There were a mix of technical questions (a version of Mergesort) and non-technical (redesign the shopping experience).   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Pittsburgh, PA) in October 2013.

Interview

The interview was ok and the interviewer was very nice. Just I didn't expect he would ask some question not related to writing codes. So, a bit un-prepared at the beginning. Then everything went fine. The interviewer was quite warm and encouraging and nice. And as he was a former graduate from my school, he knew the courses I talked about and had a good idea of what I have learnt in the school.

Interview Questions

• Design a novel remoter that has only one button to control the TV.
      Write the binary search.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Was asked to meet in person after the first interview

Interview Questions

• Nothing about the interview was unexpected. I would however recommend to not overstate anything on your resume and be prepared for behavioral questions.   Answer Question

They could not match another offer i received

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in January 2012.

Interview

it consisted of an initial phone interview with a recruiter and subsequently I was flown to Seattle for a full day of interviews (around 5 or so) with the team I was interviewing for. As the day progressed the interviews were with higher up employees and more difficult questions were asked.

Interview Questions

• A logic question that was asked in my final interview having to do with how curves are done in classes.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2012.

Interview

Long and arduous. Old-fashioned and difficult to understand what people did in their roles - lots of overlap. Getting to interview took years

Interview Questions

• there is a car park - how do you design a system to advise drivers how many spots are free?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not too bad. MSFT offered (at the time) sign on bonus and help with residency. Health care was to notch at that time.

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft in July 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter towards the end of their summer internship period. I was recommended for a full time position by a friend in that program. Describing my skills as broad and focused on logistics and teambuilding, I was told that I would be given a screening interview over the phone. I was told to fill out a questionnaire beforehand. About two weeks later, I was on the phone with a fellow working as a software engineer. I figured something was wrong as soon as he started asking me the same basic information as I had previously filled out on my questionnaire. Soon, it was a full software interview, including opening an online document so that he could see me code. Seeing as I was not marketing myself as a software engineer, and specifically had an interest in working with a hardware group, the questions caught me off guard and I was completely unprepared. The questions were all pretty straightforward coding questions that I could've gotten with my typical coding warm up.

Product Manager Interview

Interview

Pretty standard process: first 2 behavior questions, why PM, why MS; then a simple tech questions on data structure; then a question on schedule delay; then a product design problem