Microsoft Product Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Product Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Microsoft

3.2

Product Manager Interview

Interview

Pretty standard process: first 2 behavior questions, why PM, why MS; then a simple tech questions on data structure; then a question on schedule delay; then a product design problem

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2008.

Interview

There were 5 interviews in one day. Some technical, some casual with an as appropriate interview with the group manager.

Interview Questions

• How would you get authentication to work across domains   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in March 2010.

Interview

First round was 30 minute phone interview with HR. She asked basic questions such as why MSFT, what's your favorite MSFT product, what's your career plan, tell me a product that was marketed very well.

Second round was 30 minute phone interview with Senior Product Manager. He asked me to give an example of a technical product that was marketed very well, and how would I compete with it if I were a competitor. He also asked how did I evaluate whether a marketing campaign is successful.

I haven't got feedback after second round.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a technical product that was marketed very well. What exactly did they do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA) in March 2010.

Interview

Interview process consisted of several 1:1 interviews with different members of the team. Questions mostly ranged from business strategy cases to various problem solving questions around the team's business. About 8 interviews in total. Had a fun day discussing several ideas with the teams. Be prepared with your analysis around several aspects of the industry.

Interview Questions

• Should we launch a product in XYZ market? Why or Why not?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much given the market.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in July 2010.

Interview

Applied online, said I knew someone who worked there (true.) Lots of questions about why I had returned to Seattle after being gone many years. Was not asked the typical 'trick' Microsoft questions you find online. It seemed they really wanted experienced people who knew content (writing, grammar, etc) and throwing developer-type trick questions at interviewees was not the way to get a good hire. I showed several writing samples, etc. It was a positive experience, but I found another job before they offered me anything.

Interview Questions

• Why did I want to be a content editor, (more of an individual contributor) rather than a senior-level content manager?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2011.

Interview

This was a 30 minute screening interview. The interviewer was nice, and started the interview off with a behavioral question. "Tell me about a time when you failed to meet a deadline". Then the interviewer asked me to design a microwave. I asked him questions like "who is our target audience". I'm not sure what he was looking for, whether he wanted to know technical skills or requirements gathering. It was all pretty vague. After that, the interviewer asked me to write a method that would remove every other node from a doubly-linked-list. I received an email about a week later letting me know they did not want to hire me.

Interview Questions

• Design a method that removes every other node from a linked list.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2011.

Interview

After submitting my resume, I got contacted for a phone interview (I don't live in the Redmond area). The phone interview was with an HR person and lasted about 45 minutes. There wer typical behavioral questions (tell me about a time when..), and also a few marketing questions about products that I thought were marketed well, how I would improve those products. There was also a question about designing an alarm clock for the blind.

A few weeks later I received an email saying I made it through to the 2nd round. I went to the campus in Redmond as part of an interview day. There were 4 interviews scheduled for everyone participating in that day (all within the group I was applying for), each one lasting from 45 minutes to an hour with short few-minute breaks in between. All the interviewers were nice, but each interview was very different. They were all people that worked in the group that I was applying for (not HR).

My first interview was behavioral (tell me about a time when...), and asked very typical questions about why I wanted to work at Microsoft. It was very conversational, and it felt more like we were just talking about my resume, my skills, and my interests, rather than a formal interview.

The second interview was a case interview. My interviewer drew out a real Microsoft business problem on the white board and asked me questions about how I would approach the problem, what other information would I need, and what action I would recommend. After saying a few things, I got stuck, but my interviewer guided me along towards different areas to consider. In the end, there was something important that I had missed and my interviewer let me know what that was. There were also a few random questions like, describe a process to me as if I were a 7 year old child. I didn't think I did well in this interview, but it couldn't have been that bad because later I got the offer.

The third interview was very focused on marketing (I was applying for a marketing position). I was asked about products that were marketed well and poorly. I think it was crucial to use a framework in answering this question (marketing mix), but again, the interview was very conversational, and my interviewer guided me in certain directions when I ran out of things to say about a certain product. There were also questions that tested creativity like, what are all the ways you could market ping pong balls if they could no longer be used for ping pong?

My last interview was the least structured. My interviewer basically let me have the entire hour to ask any questions I had about Microsoft. The interviewers talk to each other after each interview, so maybe I had already gotten a "Yes" from the first 3? Even though I only had a few questions to start with, as we talked, it became conversational so I asked additional questions based off the ongoing conversation. I think this was to gauge my interest in Microsoft and show that I knew enough about it to ask intelligent questions.

Some people in my group got called back for a 5th interview, and we all thought that a 5th interview meant that you did well (and only 4 interviews meant you were cut), but that turned out to be untrue, since I only had 4 interviews and I got an offer. To prep for the interviews, I would just prepare for business cases, marketing cases, research the company, research your group, and show your interest in technology and in Microsoft.

Interview Questions

• There is a business unit within a large software company (Microsoft) that has X revenue, their expenses are increasing, their competitors are creating lower cost products, and their suppliers are putting pressure on costs from the supply side (there were a few other circumstances I don't remember). What would you do? What other information would you need? What questions would you ask?   Answer Question
    • How else could you market ping pong balls if ping pong itself became obsolete? (List many, then pick one and go into detail)   Answer Question
    • What was the hardest qusetion you were asked in the interview loop today?   Answer Question
    • Think of any process that you are familiar with (doesn't have to be software related) and explain it to me as if I were a 7 year old child.   Answer Question
    • What is a product you think is marketed well? How would you improve the marketing for it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

One of the first things my recruiter said to me when I got the offer was that it was not negotiable at all. I actually received a better offer from another company, but ended up choosing Microsoft because of the culture and company reputation. I think they know they have that going for them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Cleveland, OH) in October 2011.

Interview

This was an on-campus interview which lasts only 30 minutes. It started with non-technical question like "Why do you wanna apply for this position", "Which programming language do you feel most comfortable with"... The the interviewer came to the technical part by asking my project experiences, OOP features, interaction experience with customers. It ended with a typical interview question, elevator design.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in May 2008.

Interview

I had a one day interview consisting of 4-5 interviewers. If you do well with the team members, you will have a final interview with a GM level interviewer. During the whole time, the team is giving you a yes or no rating as they interview you. There was also a lunch interview but don't be fooled and get too comfortable. Standard interview questions with a few of those out of the box thinking questions.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in September 2012.

Interview

As a non-technical undergraduate student from a non-target school, I had to reach through my network to get connected to a Recruiter. The recruiting process is broken down as follows:

Overview:
    1. First-Round Phone Interview
    2. Notified About Second Rounds in Redmond, Washington
    3. Dinner Reception (Night Before Interviews)
    4. Interview "Super Day" at MSFT Campus
    5. Results

I. First Round Phone Interview :
    Several generic behavioral questions regarding teamwork, time management, conflict resolution, and explaining a technical concept. The phone interview also included several "Case-like" questions that analyzes the candidate's logic, critical thinking, and analytical abilities. Depending on the division one is applying for, the interviewer will ask you more role-specific questions (a la "How would you market the Xbox differently" if you're going for that team).

II. Second Round Notifications:
    You get a nice email from Microsoft that you'll be flown out to Washington. Great experience! They put you up in a great hotel, get a rental car for you, and take care of all your general food expenses :]

III. Dinner Reception:
    Meet and mingle with newly hired "Microsofties" over some great food. Learn about their experiences and show that you're a sociable and normal person!

IV. Interview "Super Day"
    Your day starts at 7:00am. Four hour-long interview rounds in a row. You get to meet some incredible people that love their jobs! They're really nice and make the interview rounds as pleasant as possible. *Warning* They might throw a stress interviewer to see how you sweat!
    The interview rooms are well-decorated, but are incredibly close in proximity so you can overhear the other interviewers. Pro Tip: Focus on YOU and not your competition :]

V. Results
    They said that we'd hear back "within a week." I flew out on Wednesday, interviewed Thursday, and got my offer by Monday.

Interview Questions

• "What is a product that you think is marketed well?"   Answer Question
    • "If you were to market 'said' product, how would you do it differently?"   Answer Question
    • "If you were to market the Microsoft brand on-campus, how would you do that?"   Answer Question
    • "How would you calculate the market value of the Segway market in the United States of America?"   Answer Question

Negotiation

Non-negotiable :[
    Regardless, they made me an amazing offer I couldn't refuse :]