Microsoft Product Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Product Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jun 8, 2017

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Was asked to meet in person after the first interview

Interview Questions

• Nothing about the interview was unexpected. I would however recommend to not overstate anything on your resume and be prepared for behavioral questions.   Answer Question

They could not match another offer i received

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft (Mountain View, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

Had 1 technical interview, 2 design interviews and 1 behavioral interview. The interviewers were all from different divisions and the behavioral interview was very short.

I tend to be nervous during technical interviews but the interviewer was very friendly. The design questions were fun and it was overall a good experience.

Interview Questions

• How would you design a web-based application for collaborative work?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Pittsburgh, PA) in October 2013.

Interview

The interview was ok and the interviewer was very nice. Just I didn't expect he would ask some question not related to writing codes. So, a bit un-prepared at the beginning. Then everything went fine. The interviewer was quite warm and encouraging and nice. And as he was a former graduate from my school, he knew the courses I talked about and had a good idea of what I have learnt in the school.

Interview Questions

• Design a novel remoter that has only one button to control the TV.
      Write the binary search.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2012.

Interview

Long and arduous. Old-fashioned and difficult to understand what people did in their roles - lots of overlap. Getting to interview took years

Interview Questions

• there is a car park - how do you design a system to advise drivers how many spots are free?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not too bad. MSFT offered (at the time) sign on bonus and help with residency. Health care was to notch at that time.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in September 2012.

Interview

As a non-technical undergraduate student from a non-target school, I had to reach through my network to get connected to a Recruiter. The recruiting process is broken down as follows:

Overview:
    1. First-Round Phone Interview
    2. Notified About Second Rounds in Redmond, Washington
    3. Dinner Reception (Night Before Interviews)
    4. Interview "Super Day" at MSFT Campus
    5. Results

I. First Round Phone Interview :
    Several generic behavioral questions regarding teamwork, time management, conflict resolution, and explaining a technical concept. The phone interview also included several "Case-like" questions that analyzes the candidate's logic, critical thinking, and analytical abilities. Depending on the division one is applying for, the interviewer will ask you more role-specific questions (a la "How would you market the Xbox differently" if you're going for that team).

II. Second Round Notifications:
    You get a nice email from Microsoft that you'll be flown out to Washington. Great experience! They put you up in a great hotel, get a rental car for you, and take care of all your general food expenses :]

III. Dinner Reception:
    Meet and mingle with newly hired "Microsofties" over some great food. Learn about their experiences and show that you're a sociable and normal person!

IV. Interview "Super Day"
    Your day starts at 7:00am. Four hour-long interview rounds in a row. You get to meet some incredible people that love their jobs! They're really nice and make the interview rounds as pleasant as possible. *Warning* They might throw a stress interviewer to see how you sweat!
    The interview rooms are well-decorated, but are incredibly close in proximity so you can overhear the other interviewers. Pro Tip: Focus on YOU and not your competition :]

V. Results
    They said that we'd hear back "within a week." I flew out on Wednesday, interviewed Thursday, and got my offer by Monday.

Interview Questions

• "What is a product that you think is marketed well?"   Answer Question
    • "If you were to market 'said' product, how would you do it differently?"   Answer Question
    • "If you were to market the Microsoft brand on-campus, how would you do that?"   Answer Question
    • "How would you calculate the market value of the Segway market in the United States of America?"   Answer Question

Negotiation

Non-negotiable :[
    Regardless, they made me an amazing offer I couldn't refuse :]

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in September 2012.

Interview

I never even applied to this job; I just expressed interest to a recruiter I met at a career fair. She then emailed me to set up an on-campus interview after filling out a really easy questionnaire. I thought I bombed the on-campus interview but was given an on-site interview. I thought I aced the on-site interview but then got rejected from an offer. I still enjoyed the process.

Interview Questions

• How would you market the Windows 8 pre-packaged product?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in January 2012.

Interview

it consisted of an initial phone interview with a recruiter and subsequently I was flown to Seattle for a full day of interviews (around 5 or so) with the team I was interviewing for. As the day progressed the interviews were with higher up employees and more difficult questions were asked.

Interview Questions

• A logic question that was asked in my final interview having to do with how curves are done in classes.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Cleveland, OH) in October 2011.

Interview

This was an on-campus interview which lasts only 30 minutes. It started with non-technical question like "Why do you wanna apply for this position", "Which programming language do you feel most comfortable with"... The the interviewer came to the technical part by asking my project experiences, OOP features, interaction experience with customers. It ended with a typical interview question, elevator design.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in April 2011.

Interview

It involved one phone screen and 5 in-person interviews. I was internal candidate, so I applied through internal job portal. the team took a long time to make decision.

Interview Questions

• The questions were on the background, why product management, why that group and situational / behavioral questions such as how would you convince others, when you made use of data etc. Other questions relates to product management on how would you make make payments easy on phones and xbox.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2011.

Interview

After submitting my resume, I got contacted for a phone interview (I don't live in the Redmond area). The phone interview was with an HR person and lasted about 45 minutes. There wer typical behavioral questions (tell me about a time when..), and also a few marketing questions about products that I thought were marketed well, how I would improve those products. There was also a question about designing an alarm clock for the blind.

A few weeks later I received an email saying I made it through to the 2nd round. I went to the campus in Redmond as part of an interview day. There were 4 interviews scheduled for everyone participating in that day (all within the group I was applying for), each one lasting from 45 minutes to an hour with short few-minute breaks in between. All the interviewers were nice, but each interview was very different. They were all people that worked in the group that I was applying for (not HR).

My first interview was behavioral (tell me about a time when...), and asked very typical questions about why I wanted to work at Microsoft. It was very conversational, and it felt more like we were just talking about my resume, my skills, and my interests, rather than a formal interview.

The second interview was a case interview. My interviewer drew out a real Microsoft business problem on the white board and asked me questions about how I would approach the problem, what other information would I need, and what action I would recommend. After saying a few things, I got stuck, but my interviewer guided me along towards different areas to consider. In the end, there was something important that I had missed and my interviewer let me know what that was. There were also a few random questions like, describe a process to me as if I were a 7 year old child. I didn't think I did well in this interview, but it couldn't have been that bad because later I got the offer.

The third interview was very focused on marketing (I was applying for a marketing position). I was asked about products that were marketed well and poorly. I think it was crucial to use a framework in answering this question (marketing mix), but again, the interview was very conversational, and my interviewer guided me in certain directions when I ran out of things to say about a certain product. There were also questions that tested creativity like, what are all the ways you could market ping pong balls if they could no longer be used for ping pong?

My last interview was the least structured. My interviewer basically let me have the entire hour to ask any questions I had about Microsoft. The interviewers talk to each other after each interview, so maybe I had already gotten a "Yes" from the first 3? Even though I only had a few questions to start with, as we talked, it became conversational so I asked additional questions based off the ongoing conversation. I think this was to gauge my interest in Microsoft and show that I knew enough about it to ask intelligent questions.

Some people in my group got called back for a 5th interview, and we all thought that a 5th interview meant that you did well (and only 4 interviews meant you were cut), but that turned out to be untrue, since I only had 4 interviews and I got an offer. To prep for the interviews, I would just prepare for business cases, marketing cases, research the company, research your group, and show your interest in technology and in Microsoft.

Interview Questions

• There is a business unit within a large software company (Microsoft) that has X revenue, their expenses are increasing, their competitors are creating lower cost products, and their suppliers are putting pressure on costs from the supply side (there were a few other circumstances I don't remember). What would you do? What other information would you need? What questions would you ask?   Answer Question
    • How else could you market ping pong balls if ping pong itself became obsolete? (List many, then pick one and go into detail)   Answer Question
    • What was the hardest qusetion you were asked in the interview loop today?   Answer Question
    • Think of any process that you are familiar with (doesn't have to be software related) and explain it to me as if I were a 7 year old child.   Answer Question
    • What is a product you think is marketed well? How would you improve the marketing for it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

One of the first things my recruiter said to me when I got the offer was that it was not negotiable at all. I actually received a better offer from another company, but ended up choosing Microsoft because of the culture and company reputation. I think they know they have that going for them.