Microsoft Product Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Product Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Microsoft

3.2

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in June 2008.

Interview

I worked in the same role as a contractor for 4 months. I was originally hired to support someone in her role. The first day I started as a vendor she left on medical leave, the manager who hired me quit, and a peer of mine was advanced to manager. The new manager also left on paternity leave so I was left with no support group at all. I did not have network access or an email address yet and just sat in the contractor room for 6 weeks with nothing to do and no one to report to.

Fortunately just before the hiring manager left I convinced him to send the Help File of the product I was to be involved in. He had to send it to my personal email account.

Within a month I rewrote it as I had a technical writing background. Within the next few months I delivered several solid Business Requirements Docs and the pushed me through a hiring loop to become an FTE (Full-Time Employee). I was the only person to go through the loop which I had heard was against their policy but I accepted the position and excelled in this roll until a re-org moved me unexpectedly to another position I didn't really want.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I tried to begin at a higher level but they stuck with the original offering which I accepted.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in September 2012.

Interview

I never even applied to this job; I just expressed interest to a recruiter I met at a career fair. She then emailed me to set up an on-campus interview after filling out a really easy questionnaire. I thought I bombed the on-campus interview but was given an on-site interview. I thought I aced the on-site interview but then got rejected from an offer. I still enjoyed the process.

Interview Questions

• How would you market the Windows 8 pre-packaged product?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in September 2010.

Interview

3 rounds of interviews, all were pretty easy. The interviewers asked questions like:
    Why do you want this job
    Why Microsoft
    What do you think about [specific division you're applying to]'s [specific problem]? How would you solve it?

I got a few macro-level questions about the industry and company strategy, but that probably varies by position.

Interview Questions

• Asked specific questions about high level tech trends & things in the news   Answer Question

Negotiation

One back and forth, and done. They are more flexible on levels than they are on salary from what I've noticed. Always go with the levels -- managers change so often that you can often request a pay increase in 6 months or so. However, if you're stuck in a lower level and already making the max pay, it's much harder to jump levels.

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Skype interview with employee from Seattle office. Began by asking me which position I preferred: PM or Dev. Told him PM, and he then said he was going to give me my technical interview. I asked if that meant I was going to have another interview and he said no? Then proceeded to just ask me about Java, C fundamentals, and what happens when you type in a URL address.

Interview Questions

• Are there any complications in C when you try to typecast an Integer to an enum?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (San Jose, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

First Stage: In Person Interview in local area.
    Second Stage: Flown out to california. Talk to recruiter on the one phone before your series of interviews on campus. I had three interviews.

Interview Questions

• What would be your thought process in designing elevators for a building?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Durham, NC) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online, they sent me an email a couple weeks later telling me they wanted to proceed with an interview. Had a couple of days to prepare for the product management interview and then went to the on-campus interview center to conduct my interview. Didn't last for more that 40 minutes, woman was nice and friendly.

Interview Questions

• Basic behavioral question before going into a product design question, had to be very thorough with details and make considerations. Interviewer was pretty nice, gave clues and helped point me in certain directions to get me on the track she wanted. Ended up moving onto second round but by that point, spaces had already filled up.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

Had a phone screening interview. It was a nice experience - very relaxed and nice conversation. Unfortunately the position required relocation to Seattle, which was impossible for me, nevertheless, after the interview they provided me with their feedback and suggested they would check other teams for remote job options

Interview Questions

• The most memorable challenge I had in my work   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Phone screen followed by in-person interview loop with multiple teams. Interview teams included peer group and supervisors etc. All day affair from 8 am to 6 pm in the evening, fairly meticulous etc

Product Manager Interview

Interview

I was referred by an ex-colleague in their internal system. Their referral process process makes you get lost in a black hole!! I have heard this from others multiple times but still decided to give it a shot. It goes to a 3rd party referral manager who apparently circulates your resume internally and lets you know if there is any interest.

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I received a phone interview that wasn't too difficult. They said too many people were returning from the previous year so I'd have to try again next year but, would be advanced to the final round.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a little bit more about ____(project)____   1 Answer