Microsoft Product Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Product Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Microsoft

3.2

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft in June 2011.

Interview

The process took 6 weeks and required 6 interviews. In general the questions were similar, looking to see the fit with the company culture. Interviews were in person, through videoconference and phone. In addition there were IQ and personality tests. Despite the length of the process, human resources was always on top and kept me informed.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (London, England (UK)) in August 2012.

Interview

6 interviews with senior stakeholders from around the business - 4 in person, 2 over the phone. This was an internal interview process. It took place over several weeks, to allow for people's availability. The interviews all focused on competencies for the role and also served as informational for the me to better understand the environment and the people I would be working with. There were no presentations or tests.

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft in July 2008.

Interview

Be prepared, confident, honest, and enthusiastic. If you don't know answer to a question then be honest. Don't lie about your experience because the person internviewing you will uncover your weaknesses and will determine if you were forthcoming. Send follow thank you letters to the people that interviewed you.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want this job and what can bring to Microsoft that we don't already have?   2 Answers

Negotiation

Negotiation process went pretty quick. If you think you are worth the figure you are negotiating for then stick to your guns. If you get to the negotiating process then it is obvious that Microsoft is interested in.

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Microsoft in December 2010.

Interview

I got an email asking me to complete a questionnaire for a possible interview on campus. I did complete the form and the date was mutually agreed upon. The interview lasted about 25 mins. My interviewer hurriedly asked me 2 questions.

Interview Questions

• what is the most technological product you have used recently and why?   Answer Question
    • how would you improve a passenger's rest room experience on a first-class flight.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft in September 2009.

Interview

The interview was with a Product Manager and she asked started with behavioral questions, and then dug into marketing strategy questions.

Finally, there were a lot of questions about Microsft and its competitors. How could Microsoft remain ahead of its competition? What are the current weaknesses of Microsoft and how as a Product Mananger will you improve them?

Interview Questions

• You have $10 million to promote Xbox. How will you break it up?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft in October 2009.

Interview

The guy who interviewed me was really tired and almost fell asleep a couple of times during normal conversation... He said he liked the job at MS but there are politics and stuff to deal with; asked a lot of why MS, why Product manager, do you even know what a product manager does, and fit type questions.

Interview Questions

• give me an example where you were the users' advocate and worked on changing the UI for the users against the engineers design.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Microsoft in April 2008.

Interview

I have no comments - this was just a normal interview process starting with phone interview and then onsite interview. The entire process was pretty short and it only took about 1 hour and I was told I can leave. I did not get the chance to talk with anybody else except for the first guy I talked to.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderabad (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Hyderabad (India)) in October 2009.

Interview

Questions were a mix of business, technology and puzzle questions. For example, I was asked to design an alarm clock for the blind. Another question was to develop the feature requirements for the next version of Microsoft Outlook. Generally, they are trying to see how you think and whether you can come up with innovative solutions for everyday problems

Interview Questions

• Design an alarm clock for the blind   Answer Question
    • You are the product manager for Microsoft Outlook. Define the next version of MS Outlook   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft in February 2010.

Interview

Interviewed on campus.

Started with walk me through your resume followed by standard fit questions - my MSFT, why tech, why product management.

What are MSFT's main challenges today?
    Name a MSFT product you dislike.
    Why?
    You can't change the product. How would you market it?
    Name a bad product you think is marketed well? Explain.
    Lets say MSFT wants to compete with this product, how would you do it?
    Let me ask him some questions.
    Said it was a fantastic interviews.
    Dinged me two weeks later.

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft in March 2012.

Interview

Interview started with questions about background and experience. Then there were technical questions about binary trees and data structures. Then I was asked to design a water bottle, and how to perform quality assurance on the product.

the interviewer seemed to love his job and working for Microsoft. He was very personable and at end of interview offered advice on how I could perform better next time.