Microsoft Product Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Product Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Microsoft

3.2

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft in November 2011.

Interview

I was interviewing for a product manager position. The phone interview was straight forward. One question that was surprising was "Tell me how you would design a kitchen." Be ready for a clever question like this!

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft in June 2011.

Interview

HR interview for 30 minutes, followed by interview by hiring manager for 30 mins. The min areas where I stumbled is where do you see yourself in 5 years in this job. Try to be specific and not to vague otherwise they think you are not really interested in the specific position. And that you are only interested in getting a foot into Microsoft then look for something better.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years in this job.   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

One day of interviews, 5 in all, with an as-appropriate at the end.

Interview Questions

• How would you design a new user interface for a bank application   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Interview

The interview process consists of 5 to 6 individuals interviewing you during the course of a day. Generally, you interview with each person in their office. There is also an "As Appropriate (AA)" interview at the end of the day, if it looks like you may be a hire. The AA will have the final decision on whether you should be hired. You generally will not be told who the AA interviewer will be and it will not show up on your schedule. If it looks like you will not be a hire, then you will not be sent to the AA. At the end of each interview, the interviewer is supposed to write up how the interview went, pros & cons, and whether they give you a "Hire" or "No Hire". Generally, if they have doubts they are supposed to say "No Hire". Since each subsequent interviewer can read the prior interviewer(s) comments, it's important to do well on each interview. There are times when an interviewer will not be sure whether to give you a "Hire" or "No Hire" and will look at earlier interviewers to see their comments/opinions. So a "Hire" or "No Hire" rating can snow ball from the first person you interview through any or all subsequent interviews. Note also the AA may not be the hiring manger, i.e. may not be the person you will be directly working for, so it's important to know who the hiring manager is prior to your interview.

Even though Microsoft is a casual work environment, interviewees are generally expected to dress up, e.g. suit & tie, for the interview.

Interview Questions

• If you inherited a car wash and surrounding property, would you keep it, sell it, or do something else with the property? What would make the most business sense?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

first round interview at b-school. usual process. one skills interview and one case interview. second round (final round) at microsoft in redmond. typically four to five interviews with the team. two interviews with peers, which are typically case interviews. one interview with hiring manager which was mostly getting to know you type stuff, and opinions on various related industry topics. One with hiring manage's manager (can be director or general manager), depending on if you've been okayed by the majority so far or not. can have a fifth interview as well, but not in all cases.

Interview Questions

• nothing too out of the blue. as long you are well prepapred for a typicaly marketing interview out of business school.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Was able to negotiate salary a little bit.

Product Manager Interview

Interview

Had an on-campus interview. The interviewer was a senior product manager. He was really friendly and easy to get along with. Shortly after, I was flown to Microsoft headquarters in Redmond, all expenses paid. They chose which group they thought would be the best fit for me. Unfortunately, I do not agree with their decision and I think it affected the outcome a lot. I had 6 interviews in one day. The first interviewer was grumpy, but everyone else was really welcoming and informative.

Interview Questions

• I had a highly technical background so I was surprised when they placed me in a windows third party negotiating product manager role. They asked about negotiating techniques. I tried to answer as best I could, but I didn't have a solid foundation for this question.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

The process is run tight with 4-6 people on the interview loop. Most questions are case questions (similar to consulting)

Interview Questions

• how do you weigh an air plain without using a scale?   1 Answer

Negotiation

very little room for negotiation

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bengaluru (India)) in August 2017.

Interview

Not planned at all. Went for 1, 3 folks interviewed. Then HR was radio silent for 2 weeks without any update. When pinged, they asked me to wait for another 6 weeks.

Completely mismanaged

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

1 interview at Microsoft headquarters
    The interview wasn't cold ,
    The interviewer tried to direct me to the answers he's looking for
    but I didn't make it ,
    overall the process was teachable and made me better

Interview Questions

• The interview wasn't cold ,
      the interviewer tried to direct me to the answers he's looking for
      How to built a FAQ page ?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in January 2013.

Interview

The Interview Process was a long one. Microsoft has a culture of expecting employees to fill-in for roles that are vacant, and thus do not proceed with a sense of urgency to fill the role. They have a much greater focus on selecting the right fit for Microsoft. Each interview was a progression, moving from technical depth of knowledge, to marketing experience, to personal and cultural fit.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a previous Product Launch. Was it successful? What key metrics did you measure? What lessons did you learn? What are the key activities you orchestrated prior to launch? What was your budget?   2 Answers