Microsoft Product Marketing Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 26, 2017

3.4

28 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

I interviewed with 5 people that I would be working with. They all had different approaches to the interview. But each took a working session and discussion approach about the problems and opportunities they face rather than a typical interview. It was very laid back and everyone was very positive. Most of the questions I was asked were to probe deeper into a thought or a solution I presented.

Interview Questions

• I wasn't asked typical interview questions. It was more of a brainstorm session.   2 Answers

Negotiation

Yes, definitely negotiate your total compensation package.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Initial first round interview with single person, followed by second round interview loop with 4-5 people, mix of behavioral and mini-case questions including issues topical to the tech industry, microsoft business, and marketing fundamentals.

Interview Questions

• which product in our portfolio would you divest?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (New York, NY).

Interview

Several round of interviews:
    1. Phone call with HR
    2. Skype with senior manager from the field
    3. Skype interview with 3 senior managers from different field
    4. Skype interview with 2 GM of countries which the role is covering

Interview Questions

• 1. Strengths and weakness and how am I dealing with weakness.
      2. Questions about the situations:
      - Successful project
      - Unsuccessful project
      - Team leadership
      - Cross functional leadership   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied through on campus interview

actually not technically selected for first round, was originally an "alternate" so had to wait until all the first round people picked their times and if any were left then i got to pick my time

First round interview went great: super casual and friendly woman who was an alum from my school. Regular interview questions and then marketing specific ones

Heard back a few weeks later (maybe 2.5), flown out to final round in Redmond, WA
    Was an amazing experience everyone was super happy to see you there. Also tons of other groups e.g. Finance also interviewing that day (was their second biggest Interview day of the year). Everyone in the marketing cohort had 3-4 interviews with senior people directly from the teams who wanted to hire them (e.g. Surface team, Xbox team, windows 10 team). The interviews that say depend on who you get; some interviewers run it like a casual conversation, and others ask marketing specific and brain teaser questions, so prepare for both types

Basically, know why you want to work in tech and particularly at Microsoft, especially if you don't have a tech background. As long as your confident, creative, and prepared, you'll be fine!

Interview Questions

• -Whats something marketed well / poorly
      -Microsoft product that's marketed well
      -Name an object you use every day and how would you market it to your college campus
      -Your resume doesn't look like it should be here. Why Microsoft and why marketing?
      -X company had a revolutionary technology but growth has stagnated for the past 6 months. They surveyed their users and still can't figure out what's going on. What's the problem and how would you fix it?
      -How many ice cubes are in Redmond right now?
      -Whats your favorite design tool and how would you market it?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (New Orleans, LA) in October 2016.

Interview

Good interview process. Well organized. I walked away feeling that in addition to the actual position I was interviewing for, that the interviewers would be "contacts" in the future.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in March 2016.

Interview

Applied through university career page and then contacted by a recruiter via email. Next, we scheduled a forty five minute interview with recruiter. Within two weeks I was invited to the in-person interview in Seattle. There was an optional "happy hour" type event the night before the interview to meet with other candidates and current MS employees. Interview day was a full half day in Redmond or Bellevue (I was in Bellevue). I had four back to back interviews and each was thirty to forty five minutes. Questions were a mix of behavioral and case questions.

Interview Questions

• How would you monetize a free app?
      How would you increase usage of a technology? Who's the target market?
      New product launch, how would you make sure the launch was successful?
      Why Microsoft?
      Do you like Seattle?
      Why tech?   Answer Question

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft in November 2015.

Interview

I applied online and a few weeks later someone from Talent Acquisitions reached out to me for a screen Skype call. A few days later, I was set up on phone interview with four people of the team. The interview was an hour long each and the questions were tough. Good experience.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in September 2015.

Interview

its all about your experience and relation between the previous and the current jobs.i dont have much to say about it.its different for everyone i guess.just be urself and answer carefully the questions you already know

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied for this position in November on a whim - I don't have the best luck with online applications, so I didn't expect anything to happen.

But amazingly enough, in late January, I received an email from a Microsoft recruiter informing me that they wanted to set up an initial phone call. Having had some dismal luck with job hunting, I was overwhelmed and excited.

The 30-minute phone call was set up a couple of weeks later with the same recruiter. She asked me a good mix of questions, including some behavioral questions and a case question. They give you a lot of resources to study from and I took advantage of it, and I think this definitely helped with the phone call.

It took them some time to figure out the headcount for this program, so they were able to get back to me about the on-site interview about a month later.

Microsoft does an amazing job taking care of its candidates. They'll fly you in the day before your interview and you also have the option of either leaving the day of or the day after. They encourage you to get a feel for Seattle, but if you're going to work at Microsoft for a couple of years, you'll need to like where you're living.

The day started at 9 a.m., and one by one, each candidate (half of us were intern candidates, the other half were full-time candidates), was pulled into a separate room by a recruiter. They briefed us about the day, asked us about any other offers we had and sent us on our way.

From what I've heard (and read) on Glassdoor, if you make it past lunchtime, it's usually a good sign. I had two hour-long interviews before lunchtime, had lunch with a recent ACE Marketing hire and had three more hour-long interviews afterwards. I had a great feeling and followed up with each person I interviewed to thank them.

Nearly two week later, I heard back from my onsite interview recruiter saying that I got the job! After I read over their compensation package (which is very generous), I accepted.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about create a campaign for Office 365?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2013.

Interview

The first round was a phone interview with HR, second round was a phone interview with the hiring manager, and then the third round was an interview loop with 3 managers and the GM for the team. The questions were pretty orthodox, they asked about my interest in technology and Microsoft products, my previous experiences, and then they put me through a couple "cases" to test my skills at building and executing marketing strategies