Microsoft Program Manager Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Program Manager Intern Interview Questions

3.4

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 9+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

On campus University Recruiting:
Talked to the recruiter about my experience in web design and the projects I've worked on, he took my resume.

Invited to on campus interning information talk:
Gave me information about each of the positions and made me select which I wanted to apply for - I picked Program Manager.

On University campus round 1 interview:
The interview was heavy on Object Oriented Programming and Data Structures.

On Redmond Campus round 2 interview:
The interview was from 9am until 4pm and I was interview by 4 different people of increasingly higher rank(position) each time.
*Advice - during each break they will ask if you want coffee, always say yes. You need to stay excited and alert. Take this as an opportunity to have a good time and show them how excited you are to be there. Don't let yourself get tired or cranky. They will beat you down at the end, don't give up and don't ever get angry.

Interview Questions

• He asked me if I were to design windows, as in like the file explorer windows and image windows, what data structure would I use.
    He asked me how would clicking windows work.
    He then asked me what if I had countless number of these windows, how would my implementation need to change.
    He then asked me how to measure the Big-O of my data structure and some other efficiency questions.
    *Advice - talk to them through the process, use sudo code (the less time you waste on syntax the better cause they don't care), ask them lots of questions to clarify what they want.
    Answer Question
  • Programming questions: I was asked to make a simple function. Then I was asked to make another function that is not so simple.
    *Advice, use the easier function to solver the larger general problem that also solves the harder function.
    Answer Question
  • Out of the box questions: I was asked to make a calendar out of 2 6 sided cubes.
    *Advice, Think as out of the box as possible, walk them through your ideas and solutions, draw pictures if possible. Ask questions!
    1 Answer
  • Design question (more specific to pm): He talked to me for a bit when the topic of github came up, he then asked me "Come up with 5 ways that you would make github better." Everytime I came up with something he would try to conquer me and make me feel like my idea is ridiculous and that it probably won't work. They will look for holes and they will ry to make you cave in and give up on your ideas.
    *Advice, it is very hard to come up with design ideas but try thinking about Microsoft products and what goals they achieve to see if you can incorporate them in your ideas. DON'T GIVE IN, just cause they are questions you and trying to make you cave in doesn't mean your idea is bad, stand your ground but use reasons to defend your ideas. Draw pictures.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2012.

Interview

I was shortlisted for on-campus interviews after talking to a recruiter at a career fair. They paid for everything for my days out there. The day of the interview I spoke with a recruiter and 3 program managers. The first was over lunch, but do not think the lunch interview is soft. I took about two bites of my lunch before receiving 2 design questions, an estimation question, and an algorithms question in quick succession with the interviewer repeatedly saying "you're out of time we're moving on." I had to run over to my next interview because we ran over during lunch. This was basically a single design question in a room with a giant whiteboard. After that, I had about an hour downtime to walk around before my final interview with a senior guy on the team. This was again in a room with a big whiteboard.

Interview Questions

• We're redesigning McDonald's so that you order at your table (which are now touchscreens). Design the touchscreen.   Answer Question
    • Design a spice rack for the blind.   Answer Question
    • How many Ultimate Frisbee players are there in the United States?   Answer Question
    • Write the algorithm for the paintbucket tool in MS Paint.   Answer Question
    • Design a "share with" tool for Sharepoint to suggest potential recipients.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in April 2010.

Interview

First round was a phone interview through university recruiting (behavioral questions). Got the results within two weeks that I made the cut. Then the long wait began... Months later, I finally got another call for the second round on-site interview in Redmond, WA. In Redmond, they got me a rental car and nice hotel. Very beautiful city... I had a total of 4 interviews. The first was non-technical, but the rest were technical. So be prepared to code. The people working there were nice and they seem to have flexible work schedules.

Interview Questions

• A situation of a technical problem encountered years ago, and figure out a way to solve it.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA) in April 2014.

Interview

My initial interview was at my university's campus and lasted approximately 30 minutes. My interviewer was 20 minutes late.. He asked me two questions: 1) What is the biggest technical challenge that you are proud of overcoming? 2) How many elevators do you need for a building (after asking some questions, the building is 40 floors - first 10 floors are retail, the next 20 are corporate, and the top 10 are residential)? 4 weeks later, I finally heard from an interview scheduler that I've made it to the final round interview in Redmond, WA. I had a pending offer so they worked with me to get up there as quickly as possible. They covered everything including airfare, rental car, food, and lodging so that was nice. On interview day, I first spoke with my recruiter for less than 10 minutes. I was rushed to the Bellevue office because of the time it took to get there. I ended up hanging in the waiting room for 30 minutes before I was called. The first interviewer asked me a few questions about my resume and then two technical-ish questions. First one was how would I improve the elevator and the second was to write a program to find the area of the intersection of two rectangles. I didn't have any breaks in between any of my interviews. The second interviewer asked me detailed questions about a project on my resume. He then gave me a scenario with a manager, a dev team, and a customer group. The manager wants me, the PM, to increase revenue by $1mil however way I can. The customer wants to increase by $2mil but they will provide resources. The dev team says that they can do $1mil but it won't be immediate. How do you handle the situation? I guess the main point was to notice that the $2mil is actually not better than $1mil because they will be providing more workers than the dev team would've. I didn't make that realization so that probably is where I lost the position. The next interviewer was late by about 15 min (so I guess I did get some break). We ate lunch and just talked about what I like about Bing and what I don't like and random stuff like what I do for fun. We then went back to his office and talked about things on my resume. He then asked me how I would improve the elevator there. They seem to really like questions about elevators. He then told me that I was done for the day and could head back to the recruiting building. I knew at that point I didn't get it since I only got 3 interviews. They got back to me the next day via email that I didn't get it. Overall, it was a good experience and I hope to try again for full-time in the future.

Interview Questions

• You are given two rectangles. Write a program to find the area of the intersection.   Answer Question

Program Manager Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Interview

Microsoft was doing a meet and greet with students at my university. I dropped off my application and got an e-mail asking whether I would be interested in an interview about 1-2 weeks after initially dropping off my application. The interview process is two-fold. First is the on-campus interview. They basically asked the university for some rooms in the computer science building for a couple of day so they could interview students. I got interviewed by one of the guys that works in the Visual Studio department. We first started off with why I want to work at Microsoft and which type of products I would be interested working on. Next came the more technical questions (i.e. what programming languages do you know). I mentioned that I was programming in C and C++ at the time (due to doing a course on operating systems). The interviewer than proceeded to ask me to write a function that could spot a palindrome (in C) and also have error detection (i.e. if you input a -1 it returns and error). This part was a bit tricky cause I wasn't used to writing code on paper and I was already nervous which didn't help. But, after initially starting to write, the code started to flow and that part went well. Next, I was asked to design a sort of version control application that coders could use when working on projects. I asked the interviewer questions regarding specs and then just ran with it. I literally did not stop talking about the design until he told me to stop. I honestly think that's what got me through to the second round of interviews. Overall, the experience was really good. I'll be going for the second round of interviews in August.

Interview Questions

• Design a type of application that would allow coders to talk to each other and work on code together.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2014.

Interview

30 mins on campus interview with an engineer, who asked 1 technical question (algorithms) and a product design question. On-site interviews: 4 separate interviews with different program managers within one group, much less scary than I thought it was going to be. The interviews want to see how you think, and they don't expect you to come up with the right answers right away.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2013.

Interview

I attended an information session given by my university's Microsoft recruiter. I met her afterwards, gave her my resume, and was informed a few months later that I was to be scheduled with a preliminary interview. I met with a gentleman for 45 minutes and he asked me fairly easy questions: how would I reverse a string, how would I design a high-level game, and just to talk about my leadership experience. After that, I received an email informing me that I would be flown to Redmond and accommodated for a few days while I had an onsite interview at the Microsoft HQ. The experience was incredible - the campus is gorgeous and the people were brilliant. I was interviewing for the OCS team in Office, and met with three different interviewers throughout the day. Each interview, typically, lasted around 45 minutes and had me answering one design question and a shorter, more abstract algorithm question. The questions weren't too tough, but I could've done better. Just more things to learn!

Interview Questions

• Make a better movie theatre kiosk.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in November 2013.

Interview

Microsoft is very organized and helpful in their hiring process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2012.

Interview

I had a longer review written but glassdoor would not process my request so this one will be shorter.

Submitted by resume to a recruiter who came to my school, had a phone interview, and received an email three days later to fly to Seattle, three weeks after receipt of the email. The recruiter was very helpful in ensuring I had the exact flight I wanted.

The recruits are put into a medium-sized room, with some distracting things (the original MS Surface, the new MS Surface, Xbox 360, etc.). There are four 45 minute interviews with 15 minute breaks in between. The interviewers come out at the same time, call your name, and take you to their interrogation rooms. After the interview, you go back to the room with the other recruits and sit there nervously playing Xbox for 15 minutes until the next interview.

The interview questions weren't particularly difficult, certainly easy enough to do in a proper setting for a programming project. Even though I don't get nervous during interviews, however, it is still difficult to do these questions in front of a whiteboard to the interviewer. It was hard to properly articulate my entire thought process, especially if I noticed I made an error or a broad assumption earlier on.

Overall it was a very good experience. The recruiters were professional, very helpful with travel arrangements, and microsoft pays for the flight, taxi, hotel, and food (submit reimbursement for food later on). I was happy to get to go to Seattle as I had never been out west before, and most importantly I know I can ace the FT interview next year.

Interview Questions

• Given a 4x4 grid of letters, find every possible word.
      Design a doggy door.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

The first interview was at my college. I was brought in to a room. I was asked pretty standard questions:
    Name a piece of software you used and didn't like. How would you change it?
    Redesign a whiteboard.
    Write me a program that tells me if a number if a power of two or not.

I then got a flyout to their Redmond campus. There, I had five interviews. The first focused on my experience on teams and as a leader:
    Tell me about a time you were the leader of a team and succeeded.
    Tell me about a time you were the leader of a team and failed.

My second interview was more technical:
    Tell me about how C# helps you implement a singleton.
    Describe the difference between a deadlock and a race condition.
    Design a class structure for a birthday party.

My third interview was over lunch. My interviewer and I talked a lot about the new Twitter app on the iPhone. He asked me what I liked about it and what I didn't like. When we went back to his office, he asked me:
    Redesign the checked bag experience at an airport.

I forget my fourth interview.

My fifth interviewer asked me about software I like, and drilled my hard about why I liked it. I talked about why I like the Windows Phone interface, and she had me thoroughly analyze why I like it.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were a leader and were unsuccessful.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Offers are non-negotiable. The offer is awesome.