Microsoft Program Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 11, 2017

3.3

444 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2013.

Interview

5 Rounds of interviews, and one last one which was given as appropriate (AS APP) . Word problems and math problems. Get ready to be creative. While very challenging, they were very nice/approachable/positive in the process of it.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

I got 4 back to back interviews and I didn't get the offer. I guess one lunch interview where I got pushed around a lot and it didn't go well. Didn't get any feedback. Normally, if there are 5 interviews, the candidates will have an offer.

Interview Questions

• Explain and teach something I don't know (White Boarding the whole concept)   1 Answer
    • You are a PM for MS developer API , so what are the things you will consider and why? (White Boarding)   1 Answer
    • You are a PM for a solution that will engage waiting customers at the high end restaurant. Come up with
      1) Business Case
      2) Customers Segment
      3) Customers persona
      4) Feature List
      5) Wire Frame diagram
      6) User Stories
      7) Project execution and RoadMap
      (this was my lunch interview, white boarding)   1 Answer
    • Explain your internship project and white board the end to end flow.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Had an on Campus interview that consisted of a single design question.

Next was a Onsite in Redmond which featured a full day (9am till 6pm) with 5 interviews and a multitude of questions.

First interview was design based

Second interview was behavioral and asked a few technical design questions

Third interview was a "lunch" interview in which the interviewer ate and I was grilled on whiteboarding questions and design questions. Looking back I wish I had taken more time to eat as after this interview I really lost steam.

Fourth interview was technical and design based. Asked about data and data trends and asked to design a toolbar.

Next i was informed that I had a 90 minute break before my final interview, gave me time to walk around the campus and get my wits together

Fifth interview was the team manager and was behavioral, technical, and design focused. Ended up going for about an hour and a half and was absolutely exhausting. Looking back I honestly dont even remember some of the answers I gave because I was so exhausted. Figured that i blew it here and was convinced I didnt get the job.

Two days later I got a call from my recruiter and was thrilled to hear that I got the position.

Interview Questions

• Explain an API to your grandmother   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Mountain View, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

The hiring and interview process were top notch. Each interviewer I encountered was very knowledgeable and challenged my abilities. Also, my recruiters were all extremely helpful in providing me with additional resources to help me prepare for the interviews. I cannot say enough positive things about the experience I had.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions that I encountered were out of the ordinary but all were very challenging and required a variety of skills to complete (data structure knowledge, customer apathy, etc.)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2011.

Interview

Interviewed on campus and immediately flew out for onsite interviews

Interview Questions

• Question on battery life and hardware in Windows-OS computers   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2011.

Interview

Five interviews and a final interview with human resources. Questions about the whole Application Life cycle management, manage teams, presentation skills, experience about creating new thinks.

Interview Questions

• Create Hotmail from scratch, since inception to developement   Answer Question

Negotiation

Don't accept the first offer.

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Microsoft in May 2009.

Interview

Microsoft is interesting. There is always a hiring loop that typically consists of at least 4 people. The last person will always be an as-needed and won't be identified until after you've gone through your loop. Sometimes, there are 2-3 loops that you'll need to participate in depending on the job.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2010.

Interview

Talked to a recruiter at a career fair and gave them my resume. They referred me for an on-campus interview, which consisted of 45 minutes of a variety of questions (i.e. How would you design an alarm clock for a blind person? What is the most challenging programming problem you've recently faced? What is one technical product you really like and how would you improve it?), none about my resume. Next step was a 3-day/2-night trip to Seattle, very well arranged, met a lot of employees (new and veteran) who were giving advice and experience about working with the company. Interviews consisted of 4 hours of 1:1 interviews with 4 very bright interviewers, each with different questions, some regarding resume/experience, some regarding design of a software product, some regarding technical concepts.

Interview Questions

• Name one software/computer product that you currently use and how you would improve it.   1 Answer
    • Design an app for an iPad that will order me a Papa John's pizza.   1 Answer
    • 1) What is a product that you think is perfect?
      2) How could you improve it?
      3) Ok, show me specifically what that would mean: design the user interface.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Every intern makes the same salary; it's non-negotiable. It is easily double any other internship pay I've seen/heard of, so negotiation isn't really necessary.
    I'd advise others to seriously consider the offer -- I wasn't that interested in the company until I visited and talked to a lot of people there. MS literally gets 50,000 applications a month, so if you get an offer, it says something about you; think about how it will look on your resume.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in February 2009.

Interview

First round was on campus. Dealt with why I wanted to work at Microsoft. Was too much focussed on technical aspects. Was expected.
    Second round, after 2 months I get to know that there are few vacancies and whether I want 2 continue the interview process. I said yes and I was flown to Seattle for whole day interview. Interviewed with about 6-8 people, 2 teams whole day from 9am to 4 pm. If you make it through 2 rounds then only you get third round.

Within 2 days I was told that I am selected.

Interview Questions

• What would you improve in Windows Vista? It was more focussed towards design since my position was a PM.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2007.

Interview

All details were meticulously planned by the recruitment department. The company also provided 3 day paid stay to check out the city during the on-site.
    There was 1 on-campus interview, followed by one day of intense on-site interviews about 3 weeks later. On site, I had 1 HR interview, 4 behavioral+design interviews, 1 high-level interview with a director, and a wrap up with HR at the end of the day. Advice for PM interviews would be to be structured, methodical and always be prioritizing. Also have a good breakfast, because you would be talking throughout the day. Tips for extra points: think outside-the-box for solutions, and don't be shy to use the whiteboard to illustrate your flow of thought. Also, it would be a good idea to brush up on algorithms and your team project leadership stories.
    Expect a response about a couple of weeks after the on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about designing a better vending machine for coke?   Answer Question
    • What is one functionality you would love to have in a tech device (phone/laptop etc)? How would you design this functionality? What are the considerations you would take into account during this design.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Wanted the job, so I didn't negotiate. There is a bit of wiggle room for entry level positions, especially if you have competing offers. Benefits are usually not negotiable, so you can ask for a better sign-on bonus, or a higher starting salary. Another aspect that can be negotiated is taking $$ instead of moving rembursement.