Microsoft Program Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Program Manager Interview Questions

Updated Apr 26, 2017

3.3

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 10+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

After being referred for a PM internship, I interviewed on my college campus. This was a brief, 30-minute interview, which consisted of a few behavioral questions and one coding question on the whiteboard. It was a relatively simple question about sorting characters in an array. Overall, it wasn't too difficult, but I flubbed the whiteboard question. Fortunately, I realized my mistake and told it to my interviewer (this was when most of the interview time was up, so there was no time to correct it on the board).

A few weeks later, I heard that I had passed the first round, but PM internships for that summer were full. My recruiter encouraged me to contact her the following Fall, when I was interviewing for full-time roles. I did, and I went straight to final rounds in Redmond that Fall.

My onsite was one of the "interview circuit" days, where 70-80 people (all interviewing for different roles) were interviewed at the same time. Most people had 3-4 interviews. It was hectic and nervewracking, but Microsoft took care of all the logistics, and all of the interviewers were very energetic, friendly, and conversational. In fact, I can easily say this was the most fun day of onsite interviews I've ever had. All of my questions for onsites were behavioral / experience and design questions, which was slightly surprising. I expected a coding question or two.

Just before lunch, a recruiter pulled me aside and asked if I was available for a fifth interview. (Make sure you clear your schedule for the whole day for an onsite.) This last one was with a Group Program Manager at Microsoft, and just like the other interviewers, he was friendly, energetic, and conversational. He asked a few experience and behavioral questions, and we ended the day with an interesting design question.

I interviewed on a Friday, and on the following Tuesday I got a phone call from my recruiter, saying that I would receive an offer!

Overall, it was a wonderful, challenging, and fun experience. There was a lot of dead time when my recruiter was waiting to hear back from various departments to schedule a phone screen, hear back from the interviewers from phone screen, submit me for final rounds, schedule final rounds, get airfare for final rounds, etc. Aside from all the waiting, the interview process was extremely smooth, and really, genuinely fun.

Interview Questions

• A few technical questions might come up, but behavioral, experience, and design questions were by far and away more important. I prepared with Cracking the PM Interview, and that worked really well.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

I have met a recruiter at my university's computer science career fair, got a coding interview on campus and then flew to Seattle for a day full of interviews. Some were technical interviews, most of which open-ended questions, some were behavioral interviews, mostly on background and experiences.

Interview Questions

• How would you gather data from a bunch of computers into a common cloud?   1 Answer

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft in November 2016.

Interview

It was a half an hour long face to face interview. Few behavioural questions were asked and a programming question was asked in the end. The interviewer was very humble and nice.

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft in October 2016.

Interview

On-campus interview. No coding questions. The interviewer was nice. Asked a few scenario questions and why Microsoft... helped lead you in the right direction if needed.

Still waiting for a response on the interview...

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Microsoft and why Program Manager?   Answer Question
    • If you have team and two features with the same deadline - for example, the calling feature and the texting feature for the phone. How would you manage the team? He later gave hints to explain that there are also investor meetings every few months etc...   1 Answer
    • If you have to choose between two features, how do you go about it when both of the people have been working on the feature for many months... essentially you don't want to hurt their feelings etc... or more accurately he meant that you might be pushing a feature from your group and another PM will push their own feature, how will you present yours so that yours is selected, etc...   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Cambridge, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

On campus interview. I submitted for a general engineering role my resume and an interest form through my school's online job platform, and was allowed to sign up for an interview. Interviewed with an engineering manager, who asked if I was more interested in PM or SWE. He then slanted the interview towards a more PM role. I haven't heard back since the interview, and it's been a week and a half.

Interview Questions

• As a PM, walk me through the process of designing an alarm clock app   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Boston, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied through my college's application process and interviewed on campus. There was only one interviewer, who was a senior program manager at Microsoft. I was asked about some of the things I had listed on my resume, why I wanted to be a program manager, and some design questions.

Interview Questions

• Why program management? How would you design an alarm clock app?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview process usually takes about one month. Depending on the group culture, it can take longer as the interviewer would like extended team members to interview the candidate. It is best to learn as much as you can from phone interview with the hiring manager before you meet with the immediate and extended teams. Bring samples of work if they are relevant to the role you're applying for.

Interview Questions

• What are strengths and weaknesses   1 Answer

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Process consisted of on-campus interview followed by on-site interview with about 3 managers. On-campus interview consisted of product design questions with on-site interview consisting of product design, technical (coding), and behavioral questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Houston, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

Referral from friend, Microsoft came to my campus and interviewed me and other applicants. Mainly asked behavioral questions about the culture and what interests you. One on one interview, be prepared to draw a diagram of past ui's that you have designed.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral questions, and technical questions about my past projects   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

The Microsoft interviews I I've had were generally 6-8 hours long, with 6-8 different people (and in a few cases, multiple interviewers at once). I found them grueling, but I have little to compare them to in terms of interviews for FTE roles at other companies.

Interview Questions

• I don't recall specific questions, but the pattern was to ask about a time when I had encountered problem X, and how i dealt with it. In order to prepare for the interview I tried to anticipate the various kinds of questions they would ask, and then look back over my experience to identify occasions when those kinds of challenges came up, so that I would have them at hand without too much digging through my memory.   Answer Question

Negotiation

To be honest, I didn't negotiate, I just accepted their offer.