Microsoft Program Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Program Manager Interview Questions

Updated Mar 21, 2017

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2016.

Interview

Met recruiter at on campus career fair. Interviewed on campus. 5 months later heard back and was flown to Redmond. Interviewed with 5 PMs on a team that wasn't too relevant to my interests. Mostly product questions, one technical question.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Program Manager Interview

Interview

Very vague questions about process management, manager was hard to understand, didn't seem to know what they were talking about. I don't know if they were prepared to interview me or not.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2015.

Interview

The interview process began with a screening interview on my college campus. Most questions were designed to gauge your product sense and make sure you had the right CS experience. The second stage was a series of 5 interviews on-site. The first one was a behavioral interview with a very senior person. Interviews 2, 3 and 4 were product questions. The last interview was a long conversation on what it's like to be a PM. All interviewers were very warm people and the questions they had selected were quite fun!

Interview Questions

• Some behavioral questions, and a lot of product questions on Microsoft's products. You don't need to know in advance the in and outs of every Microsoft product but it helps to get a PM mindset beforehand. I prepared mostly with "Decode and Conquer: Answers to Product Management Interviews" by Lewis Lin. I found the book very helpful with lots of practice questions and template answers.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2016.

Interview

Overall the process was very smooth, the lobby was filled with things to keep you busy such as an Xbox one, 3D Printer, a massive touch-screen TV and many more. I did not receive any technical questions. Majority of the questions, if not all, were scenario-based (What would you do in this situation type of questions). I've had about 5-6 interviews which lasted all day, ended up receiving a call the next day with an offer.

Interview Questions

• (After explaining their system's process, end to end) How would you streamline our process in terms of automation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in January 2016.

Interview

First phone call for about 1 hr. Then in person interviews , total of 5 interviews in person each was about 1 hr. No whiteboard questions. Interviewers were friendly and helpful, they provided hints/suggestions to make progress and overall very good experience.
    Results were communicated quickly within few days.

Interview Questions

• Questions were related to typical PM job, tracking features/resources, resolving conflicts, how to prioritize/cut/add features or make product decisions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in January 2016.

Interview

A lot of behavioral questions with a mix of product strategy questions. There were no directly technical questions but understanding a lot of full-stack and security concepts comes in handy. They are really trying to see how you think.

Interview Questions

• How would you make the Amazon checkout process easier without compromising security?   1 Answer

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

5 rounds with technical and pm questions. I was asked to come the next day to meet a senior director. I was questioned about what my interests were and why was I applying for Microsoft and for the PM role.

Interview Questions

• Design a file sharing system.
      Design a airport ticket booking system.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Philadelphia, PA) in November 2015.

Interview

I dropped my resume at an info session in September 2015, then had an on campus interview through my university in November. 30 minute interview, part behavioral, part technical. A lot more technical than I expected, and I couldn't do the coding part. There was a design question, a creative/tech question, and a coding question. I couldn't do the coding question because I'm not a computer programmer, so the interview seemed to be cut short.

Interview Questions

• How would you explain the internet to someone who doesn't use technology/understand it?   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

The interview was on-campus, and I expected a mix of technical and behavioral questions. What ended up happening was that the software engineer who interviewed me started quizzing me almost immediately about how to improve Bing search, which was a little out of one's comfort zone. For another friend's PM interview, he was asked to code instead. Expect to get any type of questions, as interviews vary from individual to individual.

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I met the recruiter at the career fair and told him I was interested in the PM role for the summer. He took my resume and I was reached out to within a few weeks. After the interview they got back to me about the decision within 2 weeks. Not formal attire. Started with what I thought the role was and how I could best fit it. Delved a bit into my resume before technical question. Interviewer was kinda quirky.

Interview Questions

• Disney is trying to make their movies available to the public, you're the lead with all resources, what is your pitch?   Answer Question