Microsoft Program Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 14, 2017

3.3

429 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I got a call from Microsoft's recruiter asking me suitable date and time for a phone interview. Like any other basic phone interview, there were some behavioral questions and a simple riddle. Then I got the call for second round in person interview in Seattle. There were 4 interviews in total including 1 lunch interview. The questions were mixture of simple programming, designing, and testing a software.

Interview Questions

• Design a bingtube (similar to youtube) for videos streaming.   1 Answer
  • Explain a project which you think has helped you the most?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in May 2016.

Interview

Phone screen with hiring manager, then a 4 person panel to review soft-skills. One of the 4 did ask a technical question about data architecture for a wearable. Each panel was 30 minutes in a round-robin with several other candidates.

Interview Questions

• Describe the data flow for the Microsoft Band to the phone (and cloud)   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in May 2016.

Interview

I had four phone screens before getting an on-site invitation. What was strange was I had to bug the staff recruiter to get it actually scheduled, may be that was a sign. Ended up with (7) on-site interviews. Be prepared for a stressful day.

Interview Questions

• Describe a difficult problem that you had to resolve and what steps did you take and how was it communicated to upper management   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

One on campus interview, 4 rounds onsite, was asked questions ranging from technical to describing industry trends. Had lunch interview as well. Overall the process end to end was completed in a month.

Interview Questions

• design elevator algorithm, describe current industry trends, how would you design a 3 button remote for a television   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I was interviewed by a Senior Program Manager at Microsoft. We went over my resume(which you should know inside out). Continuing he asked a couple of behavioral questions. There was no coding.

Interview Questions

• I have a rechargeable portable battery(the ones you use the charge your phone on the go), what would you change it or how would you redesign it.   1 Answer
    • What did you wish you knew before starting a certain project you did?   Answer Question
    • Explain a situation where you were in a team and you had to prove yourself or something.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in March 2016.

Interview

I talked to a campus recruiter and did the interview at my school. The onsite happens in Redmond. There is a group of candidates and you interview with several people all day in rotation. The questions range from product design to technical algorithm questions. You receieve feedback fairly quickly on whether or not you make the cut.

Interview Questions

• Design an elevator algorithm for an office building taking into account usage patterns.   Answer Question
    • Write a program that solves a wordsearch puzzle.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I had an initial interview and then an onsite many months later. Onsite, I had a full day of interviews: morning brief with recruiter + 2 team interviews + lunch interview + 2 other interviews. I was there from 9am-5pm and very exhausted by the end. Everyone was really nice and friendly though.

Interview Questions

• Be prepared for any number of questions ranging from very specific to very broad. 3 questions I was asked:
      Take any production chain, how can you optimize the production process?
      Design a product to monitor the wellbeing of pets while the owner is away.
      You are a PM at a startup that works with big data. Now what?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Berkeley, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I met with some recruiters at the career fair and about a week later, I got an on-campus interview. It was a short 30min one. They asked some behavior questions and a technical question. The interviewer was very nice and helped me through some of the technical components. It's helpful to ask a lot of questions and really demonstrate your thinking process.

Interview Questions

• What's one positive and negative outcome that has occurred when working in a group?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Phone screen, then set up in person with hirining manager. Next the process was a panel interview with several team members and a stakeholder. after the interview it took 2 weeks to get a response either way.

Interview Questions

• how would you handle an upset customer who is ready to move to a competitor service   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2016.

Interview

Met recruiter at on campus career fair. Interviewed on campus. 5 months later heard back and was flown to Redmond. Interviewed with 5 PMs on a team that wasn't too relevant to my interests. Mostly product questions, one technical question.