Microsoft Project Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Project Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Microsoft

3.2

Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Fort Lauderdale, FL).

Interview

Hiring Interview was a pleasant process in General, not too many Steps. One of the things I like about Microsoft is that they push the use of technology in all fronts specially Microsoft products. Therefore two of the 3 Interviews I had were via Skype. A 3rd Interview was in Person, they were very respectful of the experience I had on my resume. At the end don’t expect a lot of Push back if you are interviewing for a contract position because you are very low risk for them. They will be paying half of whatever that same position pays for an FTE, without benefits, plus they can let you go at any time with very little notice.

Interview Questions

• There was no such thing as difficult question; I did notice FTEs are so in to the Microsoft culture that they tend to dismiss a little bit any prior experience on Non Microsoft tools or products. (I.e. If you are a Project Manager, they expect you to have worked with MPM and SharePoint, period) Not much credit will be given to any other tool outside of that. The hiring manager even made a Joke related to my Android Phone..!   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiation was very limited, since I was offered a Contract position, and it was mainly done by my headhunter. Later I learned there is very little room for negotiations when that is the case.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2013.

Interview

Was offered during the career fair a chance to have a complimentary dinner with the recruiters and a select few candidates. I went to the dinner, impressed them, and got another interview two weeks later on my University Campus.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to design a remote control, and tell them the things I would consider when building it. Also they asked me what technology I love most, and why I like it.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2012.

Interview

Signed on through career office. The interviewer was really straight forward and open about Microsoft. It started with soft questions like why do you want to work with us and what are your interest then he got into design questions.

Interview Questions

• Design a virtual voting system. I had limited practice with this and shot the question.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in January 2013.

Interview

Got an on-campus interview, asked me how to improve user experience for airport security. I talked as I went through several possible solutions and he offered alternate suggestions too. Got an email around a week and half later for an interview round in Seattle. Flied out, got in a nice Dodge Avenger with only 600 miles on it. Be sure to sleep good for your day.

Interview Questions

• First asked about what services you are excited about. Then he expands on that... and ask other questions like designing a kitchen. For second interview, we had lunch and chatted about random stuff, then went back to his office and he showed me that app some MSFT employees made, connecting letters to make a word or whatever. He asked me to make a Data Flow Diagram (DFD) of that. I think I went in a different direction than he hoped for. For third interview, a guy with unicorns in his office asked me about projects I did and expanded on that. I probably did the best in this interview, finally asking me questions related to my actual areas of expertise (Database design and C# programming).   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2013.

Interview

It's a first round on campus interview, the invitation was sent 1 week in front, you can select one section (30 minutes) in two days. The recruiter is very nice, discussed the resume and ask some general questions. Also ask you to describe a difficult situation you met before and how did you solve it . After that you can select one position you interested, then you will be asked some related questions. I chose project manager, so only one design question was asked.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you design an elevator.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in January 2012.

Interview

I interviewed for PM position. They asked me about my experiences and told me to design a weather thermometer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2012.

Interview

Had a 30 min on campus interview in which they asked me to design a phone for a 6 year old. The way design problems work is that the candidate is supposed to come up with several ideas and then the interviewer would steer the conversation in a particular direction, at which point you start brainstorming again. For example for the "design a phone for a six year old" i started out with reasons of why the kid would want a phone. Then the interviewer picked one and we continued the discussion on to features the phone would have.

For the 2nd round in Redmond, I had 4 interviews, three of which were an hour long and the lunch interview was 90 mins. They will make you feel extremely comfortable and will be very friendly. The interviewers talk to one another between the interviews so make sure to make a good impression on the first one (not that they are completely biased, but im sure it helps).
    (questions they asked me are listed below)

Be prepared to talk to them about your personal or school projects and how you "solved problems". List your projects on your resume so then they have an idea already and can ask you specific questions. All of my behavioral questions were from my resume - "tell me about the challenges you faced in this project", "tell me what you did in this project", etc

ASK QUESTIONS BEFORE YOU START ANSWERING!! I cannot emphasize this enough. If its a technical question, ask what format the inputs are available in. If its a design question, put yourself in the shoes of the person working on the problem and ask appropriate questions. The interviewer will be vague on purpose, to see if you can ask smart questions and find out details about the project.

Interview Questions

• Find the angle between the hands of a clock..
      (Ask questions like, is the input a spring that i have to parse?, is the output the acute angle?, etc)   Answer Question
    • An airline carrier is losing a lot of bags. You have been assigned to help them out. What would you do?
      (see how vague this is.. you need to ask questions to clarify)   Answer Question
    • You are a startup trying to design a new mobile online music player.
      (startup => you need to differentiate yourself from the existing music players)   Answer Question

Negotiation

No need to negotiate, the offer and benefits are over the top already!

Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Tempe, AZ) in July 2011.

Interview

Current employee submitted my resume. Had 1 hour phone "technical interview". Was then flown to Tempe, AZ for full day of interviews. Had four one hour interviews. Was told at end of day I would be receiving an offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2009.

Interview

Submitted resume through company info session, run by several non-HR and non-technical people. Received a 1:1 interview shortly thereafter,which consisted of several questions about myself, as well as a code writing exercise. The code writing exercise was fairly simplistic, a single question about transforming a roman number in a string into an integer. After I had solved the problem, I had a discussion with the interviewer for 30 minutes discussing the point that I had missed about twos-complement representation of signed integers.

Interview Questions

• Transform a Roman Number stored as an integer into a string representation. Use any language. Provided methods for converting any single digit into it's respective character.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Mountain View, CA) in October 2009.

Interview

Initial contact came from a recruiter at a body shop (this was for a 6 month contract). "We found you on the web". Recruiter conducted a more thorough than usual phone screen, seemed to know her subject matter, and referred me to the hiring manager at Microsoft. The hiring manager called me the next day, but she was really sick - the interview lasted about 20 minutes. She was very friendly, the interview was pleasant, the questions fairly lowball. It quickly became apparent that they wanted in-depth technical experience that I did not have (this wasn't clear from the job description). The next day the recruiter called me and confirmed this.