Microsoft Project Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Project Manager Interview Questions

Updated May 29, 2017

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied via the MSFT careers site, and then was referred by an FTE. Since I had an internal referral, they bypassed the phone interview and I went straight in for a full round of in-person interviews; I interviewed with five people in five separate one-on-one sessions over the course of about seven hours. Interviewers consisted of the hiring manager, the skip-level manager (director), an individual in another group that partners closely with their group, and a couple teammates the successful candidate would work with. Every single individual was very nice, seemingly genuine, obviously smart, and very excited about the company and direction their group was headed. They were clearly focused on ensuring they picked the right person to accomplish their specific goals.

Interview Questions

• All interviews were truly very conversational. Each interviewer started with something like, "Tell me about yourself; describe your background and what you're looking to do next." They also asked, "Why Microsoft? Why this particular role/team?" After that, a question would spark a real back-and-forth conversation with situational/behavioral questions laced in to keep it going. Go in prepared for this type of situation. Be absolutely genuine, and just have meaningful conversations; don't fabricate stories or exaggerate your skills or experience.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft in October 2016.

Interview

They were doing mass interviews in Austin - looking for a variety of students to fill front facing technology roles. I was first interviewed at a career fair which was just a resume interview. Then they flew me to Texas for a series of interviews (3 total) one of which included a presentation on anything you were passionate about.

Interview Questions

• What kind of software would you use for project management?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in September 2016.

Interview

Arrived 15 minutes early
    Waited in the waiting room for about 10 minutes
    He arrived and we began early
    We started with a design question
    Then we moved on to behavioral questions and past experiences
    I asked him a few questions towards the end about his own role and life at Microsoft

Interview Questions

• How would you design a cellphone?

How would this design change depending on the target demographic?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft (Washington, DC).

Interview

I applied online through the company website upon employee referral. I received an email from a corporate recruiter within several hours and we set up time for an initial phone interview the following week. The interview was very basic and informative and the recruiter provided me with a good overview of what the hiring process would entail for this particular role.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Microsoft?   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Well done. Very smooth and great follow up with interviewer. First, there was a phone screen and then a follow up for next steps. Next steps were to come in for an in person interview.

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Had a first round interview on campus where the interviewer thought I was interviewing for Software Engineering and asked coding questions. I was stumped and the interview was extremely frustrating for both of us. At the end of the interview I asked about Project Management and he was not aware that that was what I had applied for and asked if my recruiter knew that my interest was in Project Management. The process was extremely disorganized and I was disappointed in the recruiting team for interviewing me for the wrong position.

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

The interview was setup by my company for the role.
    Interview type:
    Techno functional interview questions.

Interviewer wanted to make sure that he is getting what he wanted or what the project required.

It was a 1:1 session of approx. 30 minutes.

The interview was well paced and all scenarios starting from Project Mgmt. to Technical and process areas were touched during the interview.

They were keen on seeing the approach that is being taken to approach any problem and made sure that I am hands on as well. So that I can contribute as and when assignment demanded.

Interview Questions

• Q: Tell me something about yourself.
      Q: Current project tasks & challenges.
      Q: Any difficult scenario that you faced and how it was handled.
      Q: Further scenario based questions.
      1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Boston, MA) in October 2015.

Interview

Got an email for an on campus interview. Lasted about an hour. Nothing tricky. Heard back about two weeks later that I would not be moving forward in the interview process. Generally nice people to deal with.

Interview Questions

• What is one website that you think does not work well and how would you improve it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Troy, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

Get on-campus interview after about 3 weeks of campus career fair as freshman. Interview includes behavior interview about resume and coding interview. The interviewer first ask some question about my project and discussed some details. He then introduced his position in Microsoft. We then have a coding test.

Interview Questions

• How to combine n sorted array in one sorted array   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

It was a long day, 5 interviews, but very well planned. Employees were very professional and respectful. There didn't seem to be any tricks, just comfortable. They were very upfront about the contenders and the timeline of the process.