Microsoft Project Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Project Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Microsoft

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Troy, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

Get on-campus interview after about 3 weeks of campus career fair as freshman. Interview includes behavior interview about resume and coding interview. The interviewer first ask some question about my project and discussed some details. He then introduced his position in Microsoft. We then have a coding test.

Interview Questions

• How to combine n sorted array in one sorted array   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied via the MSFT careers site, and then was referred by an FTE. Since I had an internal referral, they bypassed the phone interview and I went straight in for a full round of in-person interviews; I interviewed with five people in five separate one-on-one sessions over the course of about seven hours. Interviewers consisted of the hiring manager, the skip-level manager (director), an individual in another group that partners closely with their group, and a couple teammates the successful candidate would work with. Every single individual was very nice, seemingly genuine, obviously smart, and very excited about the company and direction their group was headed. They were clearly focused on ensuring they picked the right person to accomplish their specific goals.

Interview Questions

• All interviews were truly very conversational. Each interviewer started with something like, "Tell me about yourself; describe your background and what you're looking to do next." They also asked, "Why Microsoft? Why this particular role/team?" After that, a question would spark a real back-and-forth conversation with situational/behavioral questions laced in to keep it going. Go in prepared for this type of situation. Be absolutely genuine, and just have meaningful conversations; don't fabricate stories or exaggerate your skills or experience.   2 Answers

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft in October 2016.

Interview

They were doing mass interviews in Austin - looking for a variety of students to fill front facing technology roles. I was first interviewed at a career fair which was just a resume interview. Then they flew me to Texas for a series of interviews (3 total) one of which included a presentation on anything you were passionate about.

Interview Questions

• What kind of software would you use for project management?   2 Answers

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

The first thing they asked me was algorithm question. Can't remember what it was exactly, but it was implied that in order to apply project manager position, you are supposed to be able to handle coding questions.

Interview Questions

• Find a minimum depth of a binary tree   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

On campus interview . I networked with them at a career fair, and was invited to apply online. After 3 weeks, I was offered a 30-minute on-campus interview. There were 5 minutes of behavioral questions, a 20-minute design session, and 5 minutes reserved for any questions that I had.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in June 2018.

Interview

It was an over the phone process, after which I decided not to pursue the opportunity as I received another offer. It was, however, an easy process and is a great company.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your project management experience   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Interview

Recruiter phone screen > peer interview > peer interview > onsite manager interview. The team were friendly, questions were a little dry but comprehensive. Phone screen gave me a good overview of the process and things moved pretty quickly from there. Overall good experience.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when a project was failing and how you responded.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I was nervous but the interviewer appeared to be understanding and didn't make me feel under pressure. There were times I did not know how to answer the question and the interviewer was patient and further explained the question.

Interview Questions

• How would you explain calculus to a 5 year old?   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Interview

1 phone screen with Human Resources, 2 in person interviews at the office location in one day with current employees and benefits overview from HR rep. Well coordinated and overall a great experience

Interview Questions

• How would you describe the internet to your grandparents?   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Application

The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft in May 2018.

Interview

The hiring manager calls and says that when we got your resume it was perfect as we need someone with your background. But I need someone technical. I did tell him I have technical experience in networking (which is what he was looking for) but it’s been very long time and I am out of touch. So he goes like so if I give you a day or two would that be enough to go over the concepts and then I call you again and interview you. I said Yes. He said I will call you next day. I spent who day and night going over all the concepts. The time of the interview comes and he never calls. I called him to which I was told “I cannot talk right now”. An hour passes he calls and says I was stuck in important meeting. And he cannot call me tomorrow as he is on vacation so it has to be Next week. He said he will schedule interview and send me invite via email. Guess what happened next? No invite and no reply for the emails. I sent him 3 or 4 emails asking if he is still interested in interviewing. Nothing!!! Until after few weeks I get automated email of “sorry we will not consider you for the role”. The amount of unprofessionalism I observed was mind boggling.