Microsoft Interview Questions in Reading, England | Glassdoor

3.2

57 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reading, England (UK)) in October 2017.

Interview

The overall impression is negative however there are a few strong positives I will call out, unfortunately balanced by some aspects really disappointing.

Had one brief prep call with the recruiter, then a technical screening, then a detailed prep call with an assigned person from the recruiting team, then got invited at their assessment centre in Reading.

Strong positives:
    - Impressed with the quality of prep work guidance and interview materials sent by e-mail before the interview;
    - Impressed with the proposed format of the interview (three one-hour interviews in front of a panel);
    - Impressed with the level of the detail in the feedback.

Amazing negatives:
    - None of the three interviews were what they were supposed to be; they were one person conversations and I felt like I put one week of effort preparing a presentation which was neither discussed nor seen.
    Only one interviewer in the room meant subjectivity and risk of biased feedback;
    One of the interviewers actually made up most of the findings on which the rejection was founded;
    The feedback given was contradictory to the point of absurdity.

That being said, I fully accept the idea of an employer at will. However, rational and consistent in the decision making process would make two great additions to that...

Placement, PR and Internal Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reading, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

Began with a submission online, then online tests followed by an online interview and then placement centre. The assessment centre was with five other fellow students all being assessed and lasted a whole day with us having to complete a group presentation and a individual presentation as well as a 1 on 1 interview process with 3 different staff members

Interview Questions

• How would i describe cloud computing to someone who had never heard of it before   Answer Question

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reading, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview process was very informal, but the people were lovely. I met with the lady who was currently in the position and the marketing director. I am very entrepreneurial and I was made to feel welcome and comfortable that I was invited in based on merit. That made me feel at ease, I prepared so much for the interview, I was almost thrown by the fact that we had a more casual conversation to find out about me. I wish the XBOX division was in Reading, I am a gamer at heart!

Interview Questions

• How would your colleagues describe you?

Tell me a time when you dealt with conflict in a team?   2 Answers

User Experience Design Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reading, England (UK)).

Interview

First you apply online with questions relating to why you want to apply and how your experiences make you a good candidate. Then there is an online test to gauge how you would react in certain situations followed by a pre recorded interview with similar questions as well as competency. This is then followed by a skype interview aboutt he company, a portfolio review and finally an assessment centre

Interview Questions

• What is your favourite piece of technology   4 Answers

Graduate Technical Stream Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reading, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied Online, a number of tests online and also questions that you had to complete as part of the process.

Then Video Interview (Prerecorded).

Then Skype Interview, it lasted about 30 minutes. The employee actually forgot about my booked slot and so we had to reschedule.

Finally invite to assessment centre. We had to book our own transport, and will apparently be able to claim back for it later (Up to £75). We were given a week to prepare, and had to prepare a 10 minute presentation on "Your thoughts and views on how an individual’s life or business/organisation can be transformed through Microsoft’s products and/or services".
    After a brief meet and greet with all of the assessors for the day, we had to present our presentation to one/two of them, and they gave us questions on this afterwards.
    After this we had a group exercise in which we were given a number of stock photos and had to create a story around them in which a person/business had encountered a problem, and Microsoft had been able to help them fix it.
    Then a technical interview.
    Then two strengths based interviews.

During the day we were also given a tour of their (amazing!) building, and had some free time while others were doing their technical interviews in order to try out the 'Xbox room' - a room with ~20 Xbox' a racing gaming setup with 3 tvs, and floor to ceiling Minecraft style trees with picnic benches and stools.
    The whole building had free drinks machines around, and we were also provided lunch on the day.

Interview Questions

• (Skype Interview): How would you explain to a young person how cloud computing works.   1 Answer
    • (Skype Interview and Interview at Assessment Centre): Who is the Microsoft CEO and what is his mission?   1 Answer

MACH Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reading, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

The process consisted of 4 steps:
    - Online application - upload resume, fill out details about education, experience etc. and answer a couple of questions like "Why Microsoft".
    - Video screening - pre-recorder questions in video and you were given a time limit to answer them. They were scenarios that assessed your soft skills, team spirit, leadership. I found this to be the most difficult part of the process because of its awkward nature to talk in front of the camera by yourself.
    - HR interview - Skype interview with a recruiter who asked questions about my experiences and some scenarios as well
    - Assessment center - full day on campus with travel expenses covered by Microsoft. We were around 12 people, split into groups and did rounds of interviews. Firstly, we had to present to two interviewers a presentation we had prepared from home days before to AC. Second interview was a technical one (since I applied for the technical stream), where we went through some questions which showed basic understanding of technical stuff. They are more interested in the way you think, so don't worry if you don't have a ready-to-spit answer. Third round, we were a group of 5 people and had to create a scenario about a problem which can be overcome using Microsoft technologies and services. Make sure you are involved throughout and have your voice heard because you are being interviewed the whole time by the 4 interviewers in the room, not just the presentation time. Final round, we had two 1-1 interviews with hiring managers and they asked scenario based questions which assessed different skills and strengths.
    Everyone was very friendly throughout and although it was a big day, I can say I had a lot of fun and enjoyed it.

Interview Questions

• Your grandmother tell you her TV doesn't work. What do you do?   1 Answer
    • BST in-order traversal coding question.   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reading, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

-Answer a few questions on first application
    -Tests situational judgement based
    -Video interview
    -Skype Interview
    Overall a quick process, short deadlines for the next interview.
    Questions between the video and skype interview over lapped, be sure to go more in depth and research the company when it comes to the skype interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell us what you know about the culture of Microsoft
      Describe yourself in one word   1 Answer

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reading, England (UK)).

Interview

Applied online. Initial telephone interview with recruiter. He requested a 8 minute video answering 5 specific questions. After I passed this, I had a telephone interview with hiring manager. I then had a telephone interview with a senior member of the team. Finally I had an Assessment day where I presented a case study to a board of directors.

Interview Questions

• Why Microsoft? How would you approach resistance from people?   1 Answer

Graduate Technical Consulting and Project Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reading, England (UK)) in December 2016.

Interview

1- Scenario assessment (online test)
    2- Video-interview (online): 8 questions to answer in 2 minutes (I think) about your behavior in some situations like "having a negative colleague"
    3- Skype Interview: More of the same questions, with some additions like what are the microsoft values, what is its mission, describe the cloud to your grandmother.
    4- Assessment Centre: Presentation, technical interview, group exercise and 2 face-to-face interviews

Interview Questions

• Your grandmother called because she cannot turn on the TV. How do you help her?   1 Answer
    • Define networking.   1 Answer
    • Write a code in a language that you chose that orders the numbers in the nodes of a binary tree.   1 Answer
    • In a group create a presentation about a costumer with a problem and talk about the Microsoft solution for it.   1 Answer

Graduate Technical Stream Interview

Application

Interview

1. Online questions and tests
    2. Video interview - consists of situational questions.
    3. Telephone interview - short 30 minute interview to gauge your interest in Microsoft. It's not a technical interview.
    4. Assessment Centre - Consisted of a 1 on 1 presentation that you had prepared the week before.
    Multiple interviews with hiring managers which were fairly informal discussions about Microsoft and technology and your skills. A team exercise in which the group had to design a presentation within 20 minutes and then present it. Also a technical interview which covered things like polymorphism and binary trees.

Interview Questions

• A lot of the questions are about why you want to work in the technology industry and specifically Microsoft. They want to see your passion for Microsoft.   1 Answer