Microsoft Interview Questions in Reading, UK | Glassdoor

Interviews at Microsoft

3.2

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England (UK)

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reading, England (UK)) in August 2010.

Interview

After HR screening interview, which is really nothing to worry about, was emailed a questionnaire containing a few usual sort of HR questions regarding working in a team, showing initiative etc. plus a few programming specific questions regarding project you have undertaken. It finishes with a couple of C++/C tests fr with you have to time yourself.

Phone interview with a manager was arranged with real time online programming tests.

Finally an onsite day of interviews assessments in Reading.

Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reading, England (UK)) in October 2017.

Interview

The overall impression is negative however there are a few strong positives I will call out, unfortunately balanced by some aspects really disappointing.

Had one brief prep call with the recruiter, then a technical screening, then a detailed prep call with an assigned person from the recruiting team, then got invited at their assessment centre in Reading.

Strong positives:
    - Impressed with the quality of prep work guidance and interview materials sent by e-mail before the interview;
    - Impressed with the proposed format of the interview (three one-hour interviews in front of a panel);
    - Impressed with the level of the detail in the feedback.

Amazing negatives:
    - None of the three interviews were what they were supposed to be; they were one person conversations and I felt like I put one week of effort preparing a presentation which was neither discussed nor seen.
    Only one interviewer in the room meant subjectivity and risk of biased feedback;
    One of the interviewers actually made up most of the findings on which the rejection was founded;
    The feedback given was contradictory to the point of absurdity.

That being said, I fully accept the idea of an employer at will. However, rational and consistent in the decision making process would make two great additions to that...

Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reading, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

The interview process was 2 rounds of technical phone interviews followed by 3 back-to-back on site interviews over an afternoon (1 on personal skills, 1 on business acumen, 1 in depth technical presentation). From initial approach to job offer took 10 days. Slickest recruitment process I've ever had. Face to face session were tough but pleasant - no one was trying to trip me up or throw curve balls at me to see how I responded.

Interview Questions

• Wasn't like that. The interviews were a conversation not a Q and A session.   1 Answer

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reading, England (UK)) in January 2016.

Interview

First there was the application process online and then they sent me the links to do the test. I then got invited to do a video interview which was followed by a Skype interview. The last stage was the assessment centre in which there were many activities to do on the day. Although there was a big gap between the Skype interview and the assessment centre, I would say that their recruitment process is very smooth and they are very quick to get back to you.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between good customer service and great customer service?   Answer Question

Project Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reading, England (UK)) in January 2015.

Interview

Quite in depth and well rounded questions around project management. They asked about my strengths and weaknesses and throughout, it was carried out in an environment I felt comfortable in, including a friendly interviewee.

Interview Questions

• Explain when a project didn't go the way I wanted and how did I react to it?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reading, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

-Answer a few questions on first application
    -Tests situational judgement based
    -Video interview
    -Skype Interview
    Overall a quick process, short deadlines for the next interview.
    Questions between the video and skype interview over lapped, be sure to go more in depth and research the company when it comes to the skype interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell us what you know about the culture of Microsoft
      Describe yourself in one word   1 Answer

Premier Field Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reading, England (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

First there was a technical telephone interview which was followed a week later with a standard phone interview.

I was then invited to come to the office where I had 3 face-to-face interviews. They were a 1 hour technical interview, 1 hour standard interview and a 1 hour role play exercise for which I had to prepare a presentation.

Interview Questions

• How you demonstrate leadership in a non-managerial role.   1 Answer

Premier Field Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reading, England (UK)) in November 2015.

Interview

The interview process started with an initial screening by a recruiter who then put me in touch with a member of the existing team for the telephone interview this lasted around 30/45 minutes and had questions but was very much a flowing conversation as well, mostly based around the technology I was applying for.

Waited about 2 days for feedback to proceed onto the next stage.

The second was a Skype Video interview with the line manager of the team who basically gave their vision for the person he was going to hire and some more professional based questions in terms of how I would conduct myself in certain situations rather than wanting to know technical it was to ensure I understood the commercials of presenting myself as a PFE.

You then receive a pack of information including a case study and an agenda of your assessment day (should your feedback be good that is) this takes about 2 days again to hear about.

Third part was the hardest, initially a tech grilling session with a Senior PFE in the team for the 1st hour, 2nd hour was a presentation with 2 PFEs in the same team (they pre-warn you they are going to act like the most awkward customer in the world and they truly are!), then you have about 20 minutes just with your line manager just like any normal interview with a line manager and then it moves into a panel interview which mine had a PM and the other manager in a mirror team.

Overall it was difficult but amazing while I didn't get the job the feedback that I got was excellent and has really helped me focus on what I need to be doing to ensure I get the job next time, very detailed got about 5 page PDF of all the feedback notes throughout the process.

Interview Questions

• Given the case study how would you save money and prove the value of Microsoft software to the customer.   1 Answer

Sales Operations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reading, England (UK)) in February 2016.

Interview

Very friendly interview. Good preparation is mandatory as there were some questions about the latest trends in tech industry and Microsoft itself. Overall, I really good experience and heard from the recruiter fairly quickly.

Interview Questions

• Name one of the Microsoft products that you think made a big impact.   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reading, England (UK)).

Interview

Applied online. Initial telephone interview with recruiter. He requested a 8 minute video answering 5 specific questions. After I passed this, I had a telephone interview with hiring manager. I then had a telephone interview with a senior member of the team. Finally I had an Assessment day where I presented a case study to a board of directors.

Interview Questions

• Why Microsoft? How would you approach resistance from people?   1 Answer