Microsoft Interview Questions in Reading, UK | Glassdoor

Interviews at Microsoft

3.2

Business Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reading, England (UK)) in February 2010.

Interview

Telephone Interview with HR, then telephone interview with hiring manager. Long gap to next interview (4months) and then 3 face to face interviews back to back, including the out going BM. Offer made within 7 days with an expectation to start within 30 days.

Interview Questions

• No one question was difficult but most questions were reasonably ambiguous with no right or wrong answer. Scenario driven questions highlighted an overly product oriented approach.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiation was very fast. A little room for salary, no room on benefits. Key to negotiating at MSFT is to understand the band of the role.

Graduate Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reading, England (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

The process consists of submitting a very detailed application form. If that form is accepted then there is a selection of face to face and skype interviews. As you progress through each round the process becomes less about written skill and more about face to face.

Business Services Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reading, England (UK)) in November 2015.

Interview

Got through to the video interview stage. Speaking to a camera and watching yourself on the screen was stressful. The questions were quite straight forward and surprisingly I got through to the Skype interview. This was a pleasant experience and a lot more comfortable than the video interview. Questions were quite straight forward, but make sure to do some proper research of the company! They asked me about Cloud Systems, as well as the CEO.

Interview Questions

• - Why do you want to work in Microsoft?
      - Someone more experienced than you challenges your view. How do you react?
      - If nobody takes the lead in a project, what do you do?
      - If you work together with someone who's negative, what do you do?
      - Do you find it difficult to get to know people who are less like you?
      - How would you explain clouding systems?
      - As a graduate you will start working on the bottom. How do you feel about this?   1 Answer

Technical MACH Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England (UK)

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reading, England (UK)) in December 2010.

Interview

First of all, each candidate must submit their CV on the recruitment website. They must answer a few standard competency based questions. I.e. "Tell me about a time you have demonstrated..."

If you make it passed the first stage, they arrange for you to do a phone interview. This was conducted by a recruitment agent who does not work in Microsoft. Again, it is competency based.

The final stage is an assessment centre, which consists of a couple of 1-on-1 competency based interviews, a technical case-study/presentation and a group exercise. There is also a technical interview gauge the level of your technical skill (may include a simple programming exercise). This technical interview does not contribute to the final decision to hire you (it was one of the best interviews I'd ever had, and I still did not get the offer).

The reason for why I did not get the offer -- apparently my answers in the competency interviews were not structured enough. This is a poor way to dismiss a candidate, as you can basically do well if you're good at talking (and worse if you're not). Most of the other candidates at the assessment centre were not Science graduates... Some had very little knowledge of the ins and outs of modern technology. It was very surprising for me (as I studied a computing related degree) that they had even got to the final stage of the hiring process.

The MACH hiring managers are not looking for technologically apt people, but more business minded people, EVEN for a technical position!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Microsoft?   1 Answer

MACH Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reading, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

The process consisted of 4 steps:
    - Online application - upload resume, fill out details about education, experience etc. and answer a couple of questions like "Why Microsoft".
    - Video screening - pre-recorder questions in video and you were given a time limit to answer them. They were scenarios that assessed your soft skills, team spirit, leadership. I found this to be the most difficult part of the process because of its awkward nature to talk in front of the camera by yourself.
    - HR interview - Skype interview with a recruiter who asked questions about my experiences and some scenarios as well
    - Assessment center - full day on campus with travel expenses covered by Microsoft. We were around 12 people, split into groups and did rounds of interviews. Firstly, we had to present to two interviewers a presentation we had prepared from home days before to AC. Second interview was a technical one (since I applied for the technical stream), where we went through some questions which showed basic understanding of technical stuff. They are more interested in the way you think, so don't worry if you don't have a ready-to-spit answer. Third round, we were a group of 5 people and had to create a scenario about a problem which can be overcome using Microsoft technologies and services. Make sure you are involved throughout and have your voice heard because you are being interviewed the whole time by the 4 interviewers in the room, not just the presentation time. Final round, we had two 1-1 interviews with hiring managers and they asked scenario based questions which assessed different skills and strengths.
    Everyone was very friendly throughout and although it was a big day, I can say I had a lot of fun and enjoyed it.

Interview Questions

• BST in-order traversal coding question.   1 Answer
    • Your grandmother tell you her TV doesn't work. What do you do?   1 Answer

MACH Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reading, England (UK)) in January 2013.

Interview

submitted online cv (standard questions like why do you want to work for microsoft)
    took online non verbal reasoning tests (very easy make sure that you do every single one of the practise papers before you even consider starting.
    had a phone interview the call quality was really bad and i couldnt understand the interviewer

Interview Questions

• why do you want to work for microsoft   1 Answer

Placement Trainee/Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reading, England (UK)) in February 2016.

Interview

The process was quite long, as it consisted of six different stages. Overall, it was a very well-rounded one, and included many types of activities which let candidates' abilities surface all along

Interview Questions

• How would you describe cloud computing to a 10 year-old?   Answer Question

Microsoft Intern Scheme Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reading, England (UK)) in February 2013.

Interview

Initial standard online application, online aptitude tests, competancy phone interview, (unexpected/unlisted) technical phone interview.
    Final stage is the assessment centre which consists of a competancy interview followed by a technical one.

Interview Questions

• (Whiteboard exercise) Implement strcmp using any language of your choice.   1 Answer

Human Resources Placement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reading, England (UK)) in February 2018.

Interview

Video interview. Standard competency questions, took about half an hour. As with all video interviews they are uncomfortable. Microsoft provided no feedback on the interview which I feel they could have done so applicants have an understanding of mistakes so they can rectify them for future prospects.

Interview Questions

• Explain a way you have solved a problem as part of a group   Answer Question

MACH Technical Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reading, England (UK)) in November 2013.

Interview

Applied online. Submitted CV and completed three competency based questions.

Next step was to pass an online, inductive reasoning test. This is a standard sequence test where you have to predict what comes next.

Next step was a video interview which consisted of 8 questions. You have thirty seconds to prepare for each one, and 2 minutes to answer them. You do not have to use all of the time allocated and can stop the recording and move on to the next recording when you are finished.
    The questions were around these subject areas:
    - Vision and impact on customers.
    - Managing a cross-functional team.
    - Making the most of international contacts.
    - Presenting results to peers.
    - Working in a structured environment.
    - Your results and how they make you stand out.
    - Personal goals and how you achieved them.
    - Criticism of an idea and how you would handle it.

Tips: make sure you have specific examples for each of the cases above. Research the company, it's vision and it's products. Appear confident and look directly at the camera instead of yourself on screen. Dress in business attire.

If you pass this stage there is a competency-based Skype interview, but I didn't get this far. After that there is an assessment centre.

Interview Questions

• How would you communicate results differently to your peers vs. senior management?   Answer Question