Microsoft Interview Questions in Redmond, WA | Glassdoor

3.3

1,357 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all Interviews

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

5 to 6 interviews single day 1 hour each. Coding-based. You have to code on the whiteboard. Prepare data structures, algorithms, writing code. The first 3-4 decide if the hiring manager is going to interview you. Out of the first 3-4, you need to try to nail them all.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

Was invited for a coding test for a Bing hiring event. Passed that and was invited to fly to Seattle for an onsite.
    I cannot even begin to explain the pathetic nature of the interviews. 16 candidates are brought in from all over and given rooms, and the interviewers go around interviewing each one of them.
    I had a horrible experience with the first interviewer. He was laughing in a mocking way when I was on the wrong track for a particular question. He cut me off in the middle when I was giving the answers and when I was on the wrong track for a question and when said oh I could have done it that way, he said not you could have .. u should have... you can't work in Microsoft if you can't come up with solutions. And when his phone rang loudly in the middle of the interview, he didn't even bother to apologize and let it ring for sometime. He also wished me and said "I hope your other interviews go better than this one" ;)
    The 4th interviewer seemed super dis-interested too. He kept chatting with someone while I was whiteboarding.
    The entire experience was really off for me, I cannot imagine Microsoft allows such unprofessional interviewers to interview candidates who have flown many miles to come attend their interviews.

Will definitely never interview with Microsoft ever again.

Research Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

First, one of the team members called me on the phone and we had a short chat about what the role requires and my resume. Then I had a standard phone call with an HR person who set up the technical phone interview as the next step. After this step, I got invited to go onsite. After five rounds of interview we called it a day, and within a week I received an offer.

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

I was flown to Seattle/Redmond (from Europe) for a few days. The interview took almost a full day, and I got to speak with around 5 teams. Each team asked a variety of questions and reviewed my portfolio and a presentation I had prepared. It was very interesting.

Interview Questions

• Design problem: How might you solve or improve this situation?
      There are various scenarios/problems.
      1 Answer

Business Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Interviewed over the phone first then interviewed with 4 people, 2 of them were the managers I would support and 1 was another admin and the last was a manager on the team.

Interview Questions

• What are 3 of your weaknesses?   1 Answer

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

Found a great position online and had a referral put me in touch with the hiring manager. 1 phone interview and was then called for a loop on-site. The recruiters and logistic coordinators were awesome and were in touch throughout the process. The loop comprised of 6 interviewers - the final one being an as-app one with an executive. The first interview was a technical design one with a lot of white boarding and back and forth QnA. The next few ones focused more on product design and behavioral. There was also a 90 minute lunch interview with the hiring manager which was probably the toughest of the lot -- A lot of probing and testing to see how I could handle ambiguity and managing confidential information. The final few interviews of the day were more relaxed and focused more on my experience and how my skills were transferable to the position. I was contacted by the recruiter by the time I reached my hotel and was told the team was excited to have me on board. Overall a very smooth process and I was very motivated to accept the offer as soon as it came.

Interview Questions

• What would your advice be for junior product managers?   Answer Question

Business Administrator Interview

Application

Interview

Everything is setup by recruiter. The interview was half a day adventure. After each person interviewed you they would talk to see if you passed or that was the last person you saw and the interview was over. I saw all people on the panel.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with difficult people   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

The interview process started with an HR person reaching out and doing a phone screening. They asked mostly personality questions but ended the interview with a puzzle.
    The onsite interview lasted from 9 am to 4 pm on the Redmond campus. During that time I had meetings with 5 different people and was ask 7 different white boarding questions. My advice to anyone preparing for the interview would be to buy a coding interview prep book, for example 'Cracking the Coding Interview', and memorizing all the answers.

Interview Questions

• If you have a 2-d array representing islands (with 1's) and ocean (with 0's). How do you count the number of islands. Note two adjacent 1's make a single island   Answer Question
    • Implement find and replace.   Answer Question
    • Print out a 2-d matrix in a spiral. This is similar to a more common problem, rotate a matrix 90 degrees.   Answer Question
    • Find the median of an unsorted list of integers in O(n) time.   Answer Question

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied via employee referral process. After phone call with Dev Lead I managed to fly to Redmond. It was 3 round interview loop in one day, second day I received offer.

Interview Questions

• coding on white table (data structures), solution architecture related questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

This was a telephonic interview. I was not asked anything related to the technologies that I had applied for (C#, SQL, XAML) but the questions were very generic (data structure and algorithms).

Interview Questions

• Was asked about different kinds of tree traversals. And was asked to write down the 8 queens problem algorithm.   Answer Question