Microsoft Interview Questions in Redmond, WA | Glassdoor

3.3

1,324 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all Interviews

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

5 to 6 interviews single day 1 hour each. Coding-based. You have to code on the whiteboard. Prepare data structures, algorithms, writing code. The first 3-4 decide if the hiring manager is going to interview you. Out of the first 3-4, you need to try to nail them all.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Had an on Campus interview that consisted of a single design question.

Next was a Onsite in Redmond which featured a full day (9am till 6pm) with 5 interviews and a multitude of questions.

First interview was design based

Second interview was behavioral and asked a few technical design questions

Third interview was a "lunch" interview in which the interviewer ate and I was grilled on whiteboarding questions and design questions. Looking back I wish I had taken more time to eat as after this interview I really lost steam.

Fourth interview was technical and design based. Asked about data and data trends and asked to design a toolbar.

Next i was informed that I had a 90 minute break before my final interview, gave me time to walk around the campus and get my wits together

Fifth interview was the team manager and was behavioral, technical, and design focused. Ended up going for about an hour and a half and was absolutely exhausting. Looking back I honestly dont even remember some of the answers I gave because I was so exhausted. Figured that i blew it here and was convinced I didnt get the job.

Two days later I got a call from my recruiter and was thrilled to hear that I got the position.

Program Manager II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

5 rounds of interviews starting at 9am. 4 interviews were 1 hour each, there was a 1.5 hours lunch interview with 2 people. It was rather relaxed and focused. Many of the questions had to do with decision making in stressful and ambiguous situations.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself   1 Answer
    • Technical questions regarding knowledge of the industry and current trends (malware role)   1 Answer

Negotiation

Very difficult to negotiate. I ended up taking what they offered.

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

I interviewed with 5 people that I would be working with. They all had different approaches to the interview. But each took a working session and discussion approach about the problems and opportunities they face rather than a typical interview. It was very laid back and everyone was very positive. Most of the questions I was asked were to probe deeper into a thought or a solution I presented.

Interview Questions

• I wasn't asked typical interview questions. It was more of a brainstorm session.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Yes, definitely negotiate your total compensation package.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

I was referred by a friend of mine currently working at Microsoft. I first did a 45 minute on-campus interview which consisted of one easy question plus some behaviorals. Unfortunately, Microsoft had fulfilled their hiring quota for the year, but a spot opened up in mid-December and I scheduled my on-site to be in January.

The on-site consisted of five interviews about an hour long each, with some standard data structures/algorithm questions plus one system design question. The fifth interviewer also asked some behaviorals. The algorithm questions were probably around LeetCode Medium level.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of n unsorted key-value tuples which are too large to fit in memory, return the k tuples with the greatest value where n is several orders of magnitude greater than k. This list may be dispersed across multiple machines.   1 Answer
    • Given a tree of order n which is neither complete or a search tree, write a function to construct a new tree of order m in-place. Memory usage is bound to 2 times the size of the tree. The new tree must be complete, and a node A cannot be a child of another node B in the new tree if A was an ancestor of B in the old tree.   1 Answer
    • Given a list of movement commands (up, down, left, right, undo previous action), write a function that returns the final (x,y) coordinate. Followup: how would you handle other kinds of commands and undoing them? What kind of design pattern is this?   1 Answer
    • Given two very large timestamped sorted log files that do not fit in memory (possibly on different machines), merge them in timestamp order. Provide some test cases.   1 Answer
    • Describe how you would design a data experimentation platform.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

Two phone interviews and final round interview in Redmond, Washington. Both interviews in the final round were about 45 minutes to a hour. The first interview was a standard behavioral interview. The second interview I gave a 10 minute presentation to two employees. After that they asked me strategic and behavioral questions.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

I was messaged by Microsoft recruiters from Linkedin. They sent me an online assesment which you have to complete in 60 minutes. If you pass that you will be able to go on-site. I interviewed at Microsoft on campus in Redmond for a full day loop of 6 people. Everyone was super friendly and super excited about future of Microsoft under new CEO leadership.

Interview Questions

• Signed NDA Contract. Algorithmic and Design Architecture Problems. They drill you deep on multi threading and distributed systems.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

I interviewed with Microsoft as a Ph.D. graduate.
    Initial on campus screening. After that I am invited to onsite.
    Onsite Interview:
    It was a nice experience. I interviewed with managers and with a director. I got 3 technical questions and one Ph.D. research discussion (after lunch with lunch interviewer) and one resume/background/personality interview. It was unique to meet people with 10 to over 30 years of experience. Interviewing with experienced/expert engineers is a plus I guess. They know what to ask and what to look for in answers. The questions were easy but vague sometimes. Asking questions and verifying your understanding seemed to me a big plus. Overall it was one of the best interview experiences I had.

User Experience Design Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

1:1 45 minute phone call.
    took more than 3 months to get an on-site interview.
    Onsite interview was very relaxed and conversational. Mine was from 9am - 5pm.
    1 group portfolio presentation. 3 or 4 (depends each individual) 1:1 interview.

TAM/PFE Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

I was going through the process as part of a military program that partners with Microsoft known as MSSA. The process itself was mentally draining we sat in a holding area and had to wait for our interviewer to call our name then we were brought to a small interview room which had enough room for a small table two chairs and a white board. Total of 4 interviews throughout the day.

Interview Questions

• Why Microsoft?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time you failed at something and how you handled it?   1 Answer
    • Taking a clock that has a minute hand and an hour hand write code that will tell you the angle between the two.   1 Answer