Microsoft Interview Questions in Redmond, WA | Glassdoor

3.3

1,469 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

5 to 6 interviews single day 1 hour each. Coding-based. You have to code on the whiteboard. Prepare data structures, algorithms, writing code. The first 3-4 decide if the hiring manager is going to interview you. Out of the first 3-4, you need to try to nail them all.

MIcrosoft Explorer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Applied through campus recruiter, was contacted September for phone screening, got final rounds notice around October. Onsite was scheduled for January where there were three 45 min interviews. Usually they’re mixed between PM and tech questions but mine were all technical.

Senior Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Multiple one on one conversations. One group interview. One phoner with employee overseas. Included interviews with team members and two interviews with members from a different business group. Was asked to come into the office twice.

Service Deliv Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Pretty standard - HR screen, hiring manager screen, interview loop. Usually there is an 'as appropriate' interview with a 'big cheese' to check for cultural fit. the employee referral thing is helpful but not great unless the employee knows the hiring manager and can go advocate personally.

Interview Questions

• How do you keep vendors on their toes?   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Got a phone interview through a referral. I was contacted by a recruiter to schedule a phone interview, which I had a few days later. The on-site interview was much more difficult.

Interview Questions

• Please delete a given node from a sorted singly-linked list.   1 Answer

Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Sort of fluky process. I received an email for an initial phone interview which lasted 30 minutes and was very casual. I didn't hear back for approximately three weeks and was eventually invited to fliy to Seattle three days before the actual event.

Software Engineer-II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2017.

Interview

I applied online , HR contacted me and explained about the team and requirement .
    first they asked for online test with 3 questions .
    Than they asked to come at MSFT HQ in Redmond .
    All arrangement was flawless and smooth .
    Than onsight , with 4 interview , 45 min each.

Interview Questions

• online test :
      1. Check if parentheses are balanced in an expression .
      2. Delete alternate node in link list.
      3. implement stack .

Onsight :

1. Find longest palindrome sub-string in a given string .

2. Find k-largest number from a huge amount of data which can not be fit in memory .

3. Find duplicate in a huge amount of data which can not fir in memory .

4. Generate permutation of a string .

5. Write program to print out path in NxN maze with obstacle inside it .   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2017.

Interview

I applied online in early September 2017. I also had a referral from an employee. After about a week I received an e-mail from my school's recruiter to schedule a phone interview for later that month.

I got the impression that my phone interviewer did not work directly at Microsoft. This was not strictly a bad thing but I felt like I was being judged more on my communication skills than my abilities. She asked me some basic general and behavioral questions, including why I wanted to work at Microsoft and to go over a project I had worked on. She asked some followup questions about my project, like how I tested it, but it felt like she was reading the questions off of a list. Finally she asked me a logic problem. She actually cut me off after I gave the right answer to the problem when I was trying to make sure it was correct (she wasn't rude; she just seemed like she was content hearing the right answer).

One thing I want to point out is that my project was in Python, and this interviewer really wanted to make sure that I could program in a C-style language. She said I would need to program in a C-style language for the on-site if I moved on. Maybe this is their official policy, but I knew from talking to other people that it wasn't true. I assured her I could program in C++, which was the truth. I bring this up because I got the feeling that if I had been more modest about my C++ abilities, she actually wouldn't have passed me.

I didn't hear anything for a few weeks. Then I received an e-mail from my school's recruiter that I had done "well" on the phone screen but that they were full on interview spots at the moment and that I would hear back sometime in the next 2-8 (!!) weeks. I finally heard back in late November when I got an e-mail telling me they had on-site spots in January, and if I was still available I could schedule. I responded immediately saying I was available and then I was given a link to schedule on one of 4 or 5 dates, but one of the dates was in early December, so I chose that. They arranged and paid for my airfare and hotel, and gave me a ridiculous reimbursable food budget for each day.

The on-site interviews began at 8am. They interviewed a whole group of people at the same time. We were given a light breakfast buffet and told by a recruiter how the interviews would work. Interviews were 45 minutes each, with a 10-15 minute break between each one. Every single interview followed the same format: they asked me to tell them about myself, and then they asked some questions about the projects I'd been working on. I was honestly surprised that they had all read my resume, and one of them had even checked my github and was familiar with one of my projects. (This really impressed me, to be honest.) Then we spent 20-30 minutes on a whiteboard problem.

The whiteboard problems were all medium or medium-easy in difficulty, but dressed up a little bit so they weren't just literally ripped from some book/website. None of the interviewers cared what language I used and they seemed much more interested in the approach to the problem rather than the code's correctness. Every interviewer was very nice.

(Also, I had a bit of a break at one point and someone from HR sat down and talked to me. This was just a coincidence, NOT an interview, but they were still super nice and honestly it was my favorite conversation of the day.)

When the interviews were over at noon we were taken over as a group to the commons building and given a free lunch. After that we went back to our hotels.

I got my offer 2 days later, but that's because I had a deadline for another company.

Overall my only complaint was how long the whole process took. Near the end there was a real danger that I'd have to accept another offer before finishing up with Microsoft. The process itself was very pleasant and my interviewers were all nice. I would also have liked a bit of a tour of some buildings or working areas but that's not a huge deal.

Interview Questions

• The on-site questions were all about implementing basic algorithms/data structures (DFS, HashMaps, etc.) but dressed up as real world problems so you had to think about what to use.   Answer Question

Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2017.

Interview

First, I participated in an hour-long Skype interview with a member of the team I was applying to. Then I visited Microsoft's Redmond campus for an on-site interview, which took most of the day and consisted of five interview sessions with different members of aforementioned team. Most sessions involved at least one coding question on a whiteboard; coding questions were mainly domain-specific, with a few concerning basic algorithms and data structures. In addition to coding, some of the questions posed by the interviewers were behavioral (for example, I was asked to describe how I would resolve a difference of opinion with a team member before a deadline). I was also given plenty of opportunities to ask questions of the employees.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that reverses an array.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2017.

Interview

Applied on campus where I had an initial interview. Afterwards, they flew me out to Redmond where I had a series of 5 interviews (4 coding and 1 lunch interview). Strange thing was that I applied for a role in Mountain View, CA but halfway through my day, I got an email from my recruiter telling me that the role that I was applying for was actually not available. So I'm not really sure why I was there but I continued with the interview anyways. Ended up not getting an offer because the role I applied for was actually not available. At least I had a lot of fun in Seattle since Microsoft covers most of your expenses!

Interview Questions

• Write a function that takes the produce of two given inputs without using the multiplication operation. Try to do this as fast as you can (O(log(n) or better)   1 Answer
    • Given a binary tree, print the tree in counter-clockwise direction (print the left side of the tree top-to-bottom, print all the leaves left-to-right, print right side of the tree bottom-to-top).   1 Answer