Microsoft Interview Questions in Redmond, WA | Glassdoor

3.3

1,452 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Explorer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2017.

Interview

They reached out to me on LinkedIn to schedule a first round interview. I interviewed on campus for the first round interview. They then flew me out to Seattle, to do 2 technical interviews and 1 managerial interview.

Interview Questions

• Given a matrix representing a tic tac toe board, find the winner.   Answer Question

MIcrosoft Explorer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Submitted my resume late August to my campus recruiter, which led to a 30 min interview over the phone about two weeks later - mostly behavioral and design questions. I was informed that I made it to the second/final round about a week later. Microsoft generously flew us out to their campus in Redmond for the final interview and covered nearly all expenses (travel, food, sightseeing) - had three 45 minute interviews on campus covering a mix of questions from PM, SDET, and SD fields. Interviewers clearly wanted us to succeed-- were helpful and friendly across interviews. Heard back from recruiters less than a week after the final interview.

Interview Questions

• Knowledge of data structures and arrays was super helpful. However, interviewers mostly look at your thought process and how you approach a problem rather than expecting you to be a programming expert.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2017.

Interview

Did an on-campus interview at my college then flown out to Redmond for on-site. Met with on-site recruiter at 9 AM and started interview at 10 AM. I tried getting water at Building 28 (where my interview was) but the receptionist was unhelpful and irritated with answering questions. She then started complaining about how the posters about giving on her building was crooked. Generally not a good vibe. Technical interviews started at 10 AM. I had a total of 4 technical interviews.

I noticed all the engineers had their own room and not an open floor plan. This shows me Microsoft isn’t very open. All the interviewers worked at Microsoft for at least 10 years and were unenthusiastic about their job. The way they talked about their job and presented themselves seems like their career only revolves around Microsoft and they have no plan to go somewhere else. They probably figured their career is stagnant and staying at Microsoft is the safest option. All interviewers didn't ask me about why Microsoft probably because they don't value a candidate's excitement to work at Microsoft. Instead, they asked why I chose computer science as a major. Overall experience was negative because interviewers weren't excited about their job. The reason interviewers worked there was because they needed a job. Even my recruiter didn't seem happy. I like to see people excited about their projects. I believe in Microsoft's mission but the people their are not very motivated.

Interview Questions

• Given root node to a binary tree, reconstruct it and return its root node   1 Answer
    • Given 2d matrix and a string. Write a function to check if string is contained in the 2d matrix   1 Answer
    • Run length encoding, write compression function given input array and output array of bytes   1 Answer
    • - Design an API for searching for contact information.
      - Choose a data structure for search function
      - Implement search function   1 Answer

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2017.

Interview

The on campus interview was just a conversation about my experience and my resume, followed by a technical coding question.

The on site interview was 4 back to back interviews with members from the Cloud and Azure team. When you schedule your on site interview you will either get the first or second half of the day for interviews. In my opinion if you can get the first half of the day, it is much better because the interviewers are still fresh and after you finish interviews at lunch time you can go explore Seattle for the rest of the day.

Tips:
    1. Read through Cracking the PM interview, and solve some example problems
    2. Practice your coding skills (data structures and algorithms), PMs at Microsoft are expected to have strong technical skills
    3. Know why people want to work as a PM at Microsoft instead of Google or other major tech companies

Timeline:
    Recruiter contacted through LinkedIn
    On campus interview 1 week later.
    Heard back next day.
    Scheduled on site for two weeks away.
    I heard back within 2 days of interview that I had an offer.
    Negotiation took 1 week.

Interview Questions

• Design the technical architecture for Spotify. How do you prevent people from creating multiple accounts and taking advantage of promotional periods?   Answer Question
    • What do you find frustrating about windows?   Answer Question
    • What is one thing you would change about windows and how would you change it?   Answer Question
    • Who is a role model that is not related to you?   Answer Question
    • Why Microsoft instead of Google or Facebook?   Answer Question
    • If you had a million dollars for a startup what would your idea be?   Answer Question

MIcrosoft Explorer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2017.

Interview

Submitted my resumé to an on campus event. A few days later they set up a phone interview and a couple weeks after that I was invited to fly out to Seattle. It was very nice, they pay for everything.

The final interviews are done in 3, 45 minute rounds. I thought I did really well but a week later I got an email telling me I would not be getting an offer. Do not expect feedback on the interviews, I am still wondering why I didn’t make it.

Interview Questions

• What is Your favorite piece of technology? How would you improve it?   Answer Question
    • Given an NxM matrix, iterate through it in a spiral direction.   1 Answer
    • How much does a Boeing 737 weigh?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2017.

Interview

One on campus screen in February. Flew me out for 4x45Minute on-site interviews at Redmond in October. We ate lunch first, then proceeded to the interview rounds. Interviewers would come out to grab us one on one.

Interview Questions

• 15 minutes of resume talk/experience, 25 minutes of coding, 5 minutes of questions

2 Leetcode Mediums/Hards per interview.   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2017.

Interview

After an employee referral, I was flown to Redmond for on-site interviews. I had four 1:1 interviews back-to-back. The process felt very rushed and impersonal, and I don't feel like I got a good sense of what exactly I was interviewing for. Most interviewers asked me to discuss a project I had worked on, and then asked 1-2 technical questions. There were a couple of probability questions and a couple of coding questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe one data science project that you've worked on.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2017.

Interview

Had an on campus interview, was pretty straightforward, resume review and a coding question.
    Was then invited to Redmond for final round interviews. They were 4 interviews back to back, 45 min each. They mostly started off with basic behavioral questions then to coding questions. Depending on the interviewer, there may be other coding questions or other questions related to how you would approach workplace problems.

Interview Questions

• All of the interviewers always started off with, "tell me about yourself"   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2017.

Interview

Handed resume to recruiter at career fair, was contacted for on-campus a few weeks later. Afterwards, was contacted for on-site in Redmond, WA. Four 45 minute questions & heard results after 1 week.

Software Engineer - New Grad Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2017.

Interview

Met at Career Fair. Phone screen with HR and was invited onsite. Logistics was taken care by Microsoft. People were super nice and the campus is amazing! It was a university hiring event - around 50 students were present.

Interview Questions

• Interview was pretty simple.. Leetcode easy-medium questions. Arrays. Linked Lists. Trees. String. One of the interview (Eugene) was very rude and was totally NOT interested and didn't communicate well. Interview isn't super hard and should be easy to crack.   Answer Question