Microsoft Interview Questions in Redmond, WA | Glassdoor

3.3

1,339 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all Interviews

Explore Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

I received a phone interview a month or so back. While other applicants received prior notice of the interview to allow for preperation, I was not. I must have done well enough, though, and I was flown out to Redmond, Washington for onsite interviews. There, interviewees were divided into two groups for morning and afternoon interviews, and each person was given between 2 and 3 interviews (any of which may be coding, project management, there is no set number).

Note: my interview was recent and I am currently waiting on an offer. There is no "waiting on offer" button, so I just clicked a random button for the outcome.

Interview Questions

• PM Interviewer:
      You have a new bookstore, and demand is very high surrounding the holiday season. You are trying to get everything out on time, but the customers are frustrated because they don't know where their books are or when they will arrive. How would you optimize the website/employee team to be able to handle and respond to their concerns? How would you train employees to respond? etc.
    • Coding Interview #1:
      Write a function that takes in a string and returns whether the string follows the "i before e except after c" rule.
    • Coding Interview #2:
      Create a basic minesweeper game that allows for board creation with custom height, width and number of mines. Create a <click> function that will take in a board location and return whether the user has won, lost, or the number of surrounding mines.

MACH Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

Interviewed in October over the phone for 30 minutes about my experience and resume. As well as other behavioral situations. Was notified a few days later that I would be flown up to Redmond for a final round interview. They had a pre interview dinner with other candidates and interviewers. The following day we had two 45 minute interviews: 1) 1 on 1 employee asking various situational questions and experience questions and learning about your interests. 2) interview with 2 employees with a 10 minute presentation and the rest being questions about the presentation and your experience. The whole process was friendly and professional. Each candidate was there to sell themselves for who they are, not stepping on the toes / competing with the other interviewees. This was the most enjoyable interview experience I have ever had.

Microsoft Explore Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

Interviewed on-campus with a previous SWE intern for an initial screening in April 2016, I passed but had to wait until summer when the program officially opened to apply. Flew to Redmond for the on-site interview, where I had 3 technical interviews. Was asked about linked lists, array manipulation, queues and stacks (based on your experience, I believe freshman are asked only up to a first semester CS course). I was very nervous, but the interviewers very friendly and conversational. Coded on a white board using Java (they asked which language you preferred, pseudocode is an option). Got an offer about a week after.

Interview Questions

• On-campus: designing a remote control, interest in technology.
      On-site: sorting an array, stack and queues in arrays and linked lists

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

First round phone interview with basic questions about my experience and a logic question. Second and final round interviews were on-site, 4 interviews an hour each with a short break in between. Simple coding problems just designed to see how you think, nothing to trip you up just take your time and think through it. Also asked some PM related questions from things on my resume

Interview Questions

• Discussed how hash maps and stacks work in Java   Answer Question
    • Graph theory problem (building a simple web crawler)   Answer Question
    • Find the column number on an excel sheet given its alphabetic label (A - 1, B - 2, AA - 27, BA - 55)   1 Answer
    • Questions about my resume, what team would I work on if I could work with anyone,   Answer Question

Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

Was referred to a senior level recruiter - phone screen with the recruiter, hiring manager (on-site or virtual interview - mostly talk about your work and your objective as a designer) then the loop (full day - presentation and meet with different members of the team).

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

The recruiter was very distracted and took several other calls (from other people) while on calls with me placing me on hold several times through the two week process. The interview process was classic old school Microsoft, too long, too many people and it confusing since no one could answer questions about the hiring manager and the role itself except to say many comments about a would-be peer who is a rockstar. The biggest challenge with this interview is that it was not focused on the role itself, it was more about my past and future rather than what it took to perform in the current opportunity, which was not well described verbally nor did the interview really focus on the written job description.

Interview Questions

• Describe a ideal/dream day at work, describe a time when you were and were not successful at driving feedback into the product group, do you think social media should be considered for gathering feature related feedback, have you ever been a feature PM in your past work experience.   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

Interview

On-campus interview + on-site interview at Redmond
    Contacted by recruiter for an on-campus interview opportunity. It was a short screening interview with some behavior questions and a coding question, only pseudo code needed.
    On-site interview consists of 4 rounds with each one 45 mins long. Both behavior and coding questions were asked in each round. It's a great experience.

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

Got referenced by a friend from MS. A recruiter quickly reached me with online screening test. After passing the test got an invite onsite. Had 5 interviews 1h each onsite. All of them were 1:1 with different engineers and managers. Whole process took 2 month, but could be faster, since I went for 2w vacation in the middle.

Interview Questions

• Basically all interviewers asked a generic question to design some generic system/service with further drilling down into particular details of the design and implementation of certain algorithms. Some examples are: Dijkstra shortest path; working with hashtables, unit testing.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

After an online coding test was flown out to Redmond, WA for a "recruiting event". Showed up on the day of the interview to a jam packed arena of almost exclusively foreign candidates. We were subsequently stuffed into awkward waiting rooms. As we stared each other down in suspense I wondered what I had gotten myself into. Was placed in a room and interviewed by four people back to back. Overall interviewers were nice with the exception of one who didn't seem to like my face. Questions were very difficult and similar to what can be found in Cracking the Coding Interview.

I would have given the overall experience a neutral rating except for being repeatedly ignored by the recruiters after the interview. Had I really been hoping for the job it would have been an excruciating wait and for that reason I have to give a negative.

Having been in the industry for a decade I'm not prepared to ace questions based around what I learned in school, not sure what else to say.

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

1. Submit your application via MS career website.

2. A recruiter will contact you to schedule the first phone interview.

3. 30min phone interview - You will chat with the recruiter to hear more about the position and share your background. If the recruiter feel confident about you, then he or she will ask about your schedule for the second interview.

4. 1hr phone interview - You will chat with a design manager from the team. You will present your projects, process, and answer questions. The atmosphere is very casual and tension-free. So as long as you are prepared, you should be fine :)

5. Onsite interview - If everything goes well so far, the recruiter will invite you to the site. The company will pay for tickets, hotel, and rental car. Below is how the onsite interview is structured.

5-1. Portfolio presentation - You will present your portfolio to everyone in a conference room. Expect 15-20ish audience size. They are very welcoming and friendly. So no pressure!

5-2. 1 on 1 - In person interview with a senior team member.

5-3. 1 on 1 - In person interview with a design manager.

5-4. Lunch talk with 2 senior members.

5-5. Design challenge exercise - You will get an hour to solve a very open ended design prompt and then to present to all interviewers you have met so far for 30mins. Use the whiteboard to show your thought process.

5-6. 1 on 1 - In person interview with a senior division leader.

6. Follow up and offer.

Interview Questions

• It depends on your experience and background. They really want to know who you are.   1 Answer