Microsoft Sales Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Sales Interview Questions

Interviews at Microsoft

3.2

Sales Interview

Interview

Straight forward...clearly defined process. Recruiters work diligently to keep you up to date and meeting times are always respected.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Sales Interview

Interview

I went through my interviews at Microsoft during my senior year in college. The first interview was on campus, and the interviewers wanted to know that you had a passion for technology and were smart. It was not too intensive or challenging, as long as you had enough to experience to be able to talk to a few of their questions.

The second interview was on the Microsoft campus. It consisted of five, hour-long interviews and I was asked a series of questions about Microsoft products, past work experiences, and improvements that Microsoft could make.

Interview Questions

• We had an evening event the night before the interviews, giving us all the opportunity with the 5-10 people we may be interviewing with the next day. One of the questions I had was, "What were the names of everybody in the room yesterday, and describe them in one word." I luckily remembered all the names, but was expecting more technical questions. Props to the question, given it was for a sales position.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Irvine, CA) in May 2010.

Interview

Interviewing at Microsoft requires a commitment to the process which can include multiple interviews and a "finals day" involiving interviews with multiple panelists. In some cases, you'll be required to deliver a presentation or engage in a problem solving session. Role plays may be involved for customer facing roles. The culture at Microsoft is results-oriented and the interview process is designed to determine if people have the necessary job skills and are also a cultural fit. Onboarding and training can be somewhat informal in some groups and the organization rewards "self starters" that can transition quickly into their jobs while relying primarily on peer mentoring through that process.

Interview Questions

• Define accountability and explain how you would demonstrate accountability in your work.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

I applied online for the position and was contacted by the hiring manager. We had a telephone interview discussing my qualifications and I was invited to meet with him for a 1:1 onsite. Our 1:1 interview lasted one hour, and it was very clear during our conversation that my professional qualifications exceeded his own work experience. I was also surprised that the manager disclosed that he had received HR training in how to interview and hire the "right candidate" (A good indication of a lack of his management experience).

I left the interview knowing that my time and expenses spent were basically a loss. I heard nothing further from this individual. I really expected more of Microsoft. Certainly this is not their normal process in hiring talent .

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Washington, DC) in May 2008.

Interview

I declined to continue interview process because I received a better job. I thought they were also somewhat arrogant but after all they are Microsoft. They had me wait over an hour to meet with hiring manager while he went out to get coffee at that point I just gave up as I already close to accepting a different position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in July 2015.

Interview

Had to go through 10 interviews but did not get an offer. Very tough questions. They ask you to put together a 90 day business plan and present in a group format. They ask you about your biggest sales win from previous job and ask for 10 referrals from previous supervisors. They also call each of these previous supervisors. They ask for a written sales proposal and ask you to do it during an interview.

Interview Questions

• Why should we hire you ? What is your biggest sales win thru far ?   1 Answer

Sales Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Did not apply directly/specifically, but a friend sent my resume through internally and I was brought in to speak with people about an open role.

Really odd and inconvenient interview process. There are three people involved pre interview - two separate recruiters and a staffing company. All 3 got their wires crossed a couple of times leading up to the interview, but they were nice, responsive and helpful. Scheduling process was messy, though.

Interview lasted 6 hours - 3 interviews in the morning then a useless two hour break, then one more interview. Could not leave the premises so had to sit alone in a tiny room/wander around an empty lobby for 2 hours. Lunch was provided but no one told me it was there until I asked.

Was interviewing for a senior position with mostly very junior folks. They asked silly questions that were irrelevant to the job, and seemed visibly thrown when I started asking them specific questions about the job I was interviewing for. The type of interview where they talk and talk and talk about themselves but are not sure how to react to questions. Probably okay for a lot of people, I didn't like it. You definitely need to go into the room with an insanely eager attitude - at my career level, I'm looking for an educated conversation - not so much the dog and pony show type of interview. This was definitely the latter.

Office was dreary and dismal and they stuck me in a tiny room, almost like an interrogation room, for 6 hours. Really uncomfortable, created an uneasy vibe.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Atlanta, GA) in January 2017.

Interview

Was great. I had an awesome time learning about the company and who works there and the employees. I think if i went to school I would be more prepared and such.

Sales Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Reached out to by an internal sourcer CC who seemed to be too busy at all times to do his job. Took a week for him to get back to me to set up an initial call, somehow couldn't answer any emails in that time to let me know he was too busy. After our initial call he then seemed to not be able to answer any calls and only returned emails after 10pm which does nobody any good. The day of our prep call which was the day before my job interview he all of a sudden had phone problems and kept disconnecting on me. Which I understand that stuff like that happens but after the second disconnection he didn't even have the professional decency to email me to tell me he would call me when his phone was back to working. Instead I had emailed him a few times seeing if we could finish the prep and he didn't respond at all. Hands down the worst experience I have had with any corporate recruiter. This recruiter also told me 2 days after the interview I would have an answer and that was not the case either. A week later I had to send out a few emails asking what was going on in which all I got was a generic email from a different recruiter. This sourcer should really evaluate the way they do their job. They preached a great candidate experience but from this end it was the most unprofessional experience ever.

However the hiring managers I interviewed with were extremely good people and made their part of the process pleasant.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Pittsburgh, PA) in October 2018.

Interview

Applied directly through the school recruiting website. 1 on-campus interview. Afterwards, submit the preference and function for the full time job. The on-site interview will be based on your preference, could be at Chicago, New York, Seattle.