Microsoft Sales Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 19, 2017

3.2

31 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reston, VA) in April 2017.

Interview

Overall the process at Microsoft is like a well oiled machine. Call from a recruiter that finds you a fit, phone interview to screen you, one on one with the hiring manager if you are a high level candidate, then to the interview rounds. Do not be fooled by the "final rounds" interviews. This is just one day that all candidates are brought in to interview at one time. While you have been the "finalists" chosen, there is probably a 50% chance they have already chosen an internal Microsoft candidate to fill the role and they just need to fulfill their EEOC requirements. That is my honest opinion.
They begged me to hold off an offer from another competitor company which I did while they are aligning up the team that would be interviewing.
The day of the final rounds was nothing short of impressive.
Sign in, go to your room and managers come to you one at a time for hour long interviews. Exhausting day, Overall, expect 7-10 meetings from the Recruiter to the final rounds to get an offer.
My other job offer that is now frozen in an internal reorg right now.
Microsoft chose internal candidate which I realized was the case when I met for my final round day.
Tone was 100% different than on the phone when he was literally begging me to come in.

2. The other problem with Microsoft is that if you have one final round of interviews for one job and they refer you as a great Microsoft employee the other recruiters and HMs can see your interviewers comments from your day there which can negatively impact the next position you apply for.

I'd say overall Microsoft is lower level than most competitors I've worked for.
Not polished or impressive overall in my opinion.
Nicest people in the world that you would definitely want to work with, but I'd say be weary of applying for jobs at Microsoft, you have a 10% chance of getting an offer unless you're already there OR unless you have a big hookup, which I actually had but decided I wanted to get the job on my own, which didn't happen.
What the interviewing panel did not know is that I personally know the Executive who could've made one phone call to get me the job. Instead I went after this putting my trust in the managers promises.
In the end, I lost out on my job offer in hand (which may get unfrozen) and the job with Microsoft which would have been my number one choice.

Both jobs had terrible patches to sell in or issues that were nearly insurmountable, but I was willing to give it a shot.
Overall despite my comments I would say this is a very positive interview process with the recruiters, schedulers and managers who show up prepared on the final rounds day.
But Microsoft is definitely not forthcoming with visibility into an internal candidate already basically who has the job and the 80 hours you put into preparing technically for these discussions.
Disappointing, unprofessional and a complete waste of time.

Interview Questions

• All the ones listed on Glass Doors, also client related and sales related questions.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

Three people interviews for 30 minutes. The interviews were first over the phone and then in their office. They were friendly and on time. The interviews were for a sales position. It was not direct sales since they sell through partners. They asked about contract experience and large deals. Questions were about knowledge of Microsoft products, terms, how to structure large ELA and other related items.

Interview Questions

• Expand on your previous experience. Education. Ability to work with people   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in July 2015.

Interview

Had to go through 10 interviews but did not get an offer. Very tough questions. They ask you to put together a 90 day business plan and present in a group format. They ask you about your biggest sales win from previous job and ask for 10 referrals from previous supervisors. They also call each of these previous supervisors. They ask for a written sales proposal and ask you to do it during an interview.

Interview Questions

• Why should we hire you ? What is your biggest sales win thru far ?   1 Answer

Sales Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Did not apply directly/specifically, but a friend sent my resume through internally and I was brought in to speak with people about an open role.

Really odd and inconvenient interview process. There are three people involved pre interview - two separate recruiters and a staffing company. All 3 got their wires crossed a couple of times leading up to the interview, but they were nice, responsive and helpful. Scheduling process was messy, though.

Interview lasted 6 hours - 3 interviews in the morning then a useless two hour break, then one more interview. Could not leave the premises so had to sit alone in a tiny room/wander around an empty lobby for 2 hours. Lunch was provided but no one told me it was there until I asked.

Was interviewing for a senior position with mostly very junior folks. They asked silly questions that were irrelevant to the job, and seemed visibly thrown when I started asking them specific questions about the job I was interviewing for. The type of interview where they talk and talk and talk about themselves but are not sure how to react to questions. Probably okay for a lot of people, I didn't like it. You definitely need to go into the room with an insanely eager attitude - at my career level, I'm looking for an educated conversation - not so much the dog and pony show type of interview. This was definitely the latter.

Office was dreary and dismal and they stuck me in a tiny room, almost like an interrogation room, for 6 hours. Really uncomfortable, created an uneasy vibe.

Sales Interview

Interview

Straight forward...clearly defined process. Recruiters work diligently to keep you up to date and meeting times are always respected.

Sales Interview

Interview

I went through my interviews at Microsoft during my senior year in college. The first interview was on campus, and the interviewers wanted to know that you had a passion for technology and were smart. It was not too intensive or challenging, as long as you had enough to experience to be able to talk to a few of their questions.

The second interview was on the Microsoft campus. It consisted of five, hour-long interviews and I was asked a series of questions about Microsoft products, past work experiences, and improvements that Microsoft could make.

Interview Questions

• We had an evening event the night before the interviews, giving us all the opportunity with the 5-10 people we may be interviewing with the next day. One of the questions I had was, "What were the names of everybody in the room yesterday, and describe them in one word." I luckily remembered all the names, but was expecting more technical questions. Props to the question, given it was for a sales position.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

I applied online for the position and was contacted by the hiring manager. We had a telephone interview discussing my qualifications and I was invited to meet with him for a 1:1 onsite. Our 1:1 interview lasted one hour, and it was very clear during our conversation that my professional qualifications exceeded his own work experience. I was also surprised that the manager disclosed that he had received HR training in how to interview and hire the "right candidate" (A good indication of a lack of his management experience).

I left the interview knowing that my time and expenses spent were basically a loss. I heard nothing further from this individual. I really expected more of Microsoft. Certainly this is not their normal process in hiring talent .

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Irvine, CA) in May 2010.

Interview

Interviewing at Microsoft requires a commitment to the process which can include multiple interviews and a "finals day" involiving interviews with multiple panelists. In some cases, you'll be required to deliver a presentation or engage in a problem solving session. Role plays may be involved for customer facing roles. The culture at Microsoft is results-oriented and the interview process is designed to determine if people have the necessary job skills and are also a cultural fit. Onboarding and training can be somewhat informal in some groups and the organization rewards "self starters" that can transition quickly into their jobs while relying primarily on peer mentoring through that process.

Interview Questions

• Define accountability and explain how you would demonstrate accountability in your work.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Washington, DC) in May 2008.

Interview

I declined to continue interview process because I received a better job. I thought they were also somewhat arrogant but after all they are Microsoft. They had me wait over an hour to meet with hiring manager while he went out to get coffee at that point I just gave up as I already close to accepting a different position.

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview process was very interesting in that you were allowed to connect with the interviewer but a level of formality. Very comfortable. It came the of game like fame to write is may do to so row my boat like a chicken rice paper goat mouse five four ALAS for more than one.

Interview Questions

• What are some traits that you have that will help the company?   Answer Question