Microsoft Interview Questions in Seattle, WA | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 12, 2017

3.2

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA).

Interview

The interview process lasted 4 months. I had 4 phone interviews and an in person all day interview with 4 people in their Seattle office. I was asked typical interview questions in all occasions. After this process, I wished the interview phase was quite shorter and more communication to the candidate

Search Engine Marketing (SEM) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter via LinkedIn and invited for a phone screen.

The phone screen was very typical, but slightly more technical than most with a few questions about tools and and campaign/example-based examples.

When it came down to discussion of compensation at the end of the discussion, it turned out it was a contract role and that they were looking to pay half of what I was looking for--and it was also an amount far below the market rate for my skill set. I politely declined to talk further and wished them luck in their search.

Interview Questions

• Describe your level of experience with X tool.   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by the Hiring manager after seeing my resume that was submitted fora different opening. Had a phone screen with a principal engineer in the same project. No coding questions were asked but had a great conversation on network management, latency and my work in general. Was scheduled for an onsite interview after 2 weeks. Had a short phone call with the recruiter the day before the interview on what to expect during the day. I was told that 3 rounds of 1:1 interviews were scheduled with a potential for that to be extended to two more rounds. Was specifically told that more than 3 interviews is considered a good sign. The recruiter also promised to get back within 48 hours with the result.
    First round of interviews was with a principal engineer. He let me use his development system to code. Along with the main coding question, was given two additional code snippets to find bugs/issues. All three problems were not overly had but had plenty of areas which lead to software design discussions. The next was a lunch interview with was very pleasant. Had an opportunity to talk about both work and life in Seattle. The last 30 mins were dedicated to a system design/requirements gathering question and was also asked to pseudo code the algorithm at the end. Third round was with the hiring manager. Was asked to go deep into a mutual exclusion problem that i had coded around 5 years ago. I had forgotten a lot of finer details of it and was finding it hard to recollect. He let that pass and asked me a coding question that i was able to code. The 4th round was with one of his peers. The hour was mostly spend on OS fundamentals with a coding problem at the end.
    Had a good experience overall and i was happy with my performance. Waited 3 days for the recruiter to let me know the result but all i got was radio silence. Had to convince myself that i didn't make it after waiting for a week. I guess their hiring standards are really high. One advice for other folks is to brush up on their past work to as much detail as possible. I felt i had missed out on the interview with the Hiring manager where i couldn't go deep into my past work. Another helpful tip is to ask as many clarifying questions as possible to their coding problems. Every one in the interview including the Hiring manager are able to device a problem on the spot and leave the details to us. It really helps to nail down the details before staring to code. Also beware that they can stop you at any time and pose a specific assumption for the problem that makes you change your approach and re-think all over again.

Interview Questions

• Cant share questions Signed NDA.   2 Answers

Product Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

Got an email from a Microsoft recruiter based on my LinkedIn profile. She asked if I would like to talk. I emailed her a reply saying yes, and then heard nothing.

About two weeks later I received an email saying my reply got lost in her junk mail folder. Helloooo! This is Microsoft, right? You guys devloped Exchange and Outlook. Whatever... so we scheduled a call which did occur.

We had a nice conversation and the recruiter told me that she would email me specifics on a number of potential roles. Never heard another word.

Quite possibly the most unprofessional interview I have ever experienced. I wasted no time, and will never waste any time, talking to this company.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time your drove revenue for a product or program.   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

The recruiter sent me an invitation for an on-campus technical interview. I was asked to schedule the onsite the next day. I asked for three weeks to prepare. The onsite process is pretty standard as many other companies. I had four interviews all of them with senior developers/managers in the respective teams. I was asked questions related to DP and Backtracking. CTCI along with decent practice from Leetcode is enough to crack the interview. We need to be careful testing the code we write.

Interview Questions

• On-campus - related to a data-structure design
      onsite - DP, Backtracking and a question on palindromes.
      Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Applied via the careers website, then reached out to the recruiter at my college. Ultimately I was brought onsite for a formal interview. Whole process took 6 weeks. The recruiters were very helpful and made sure I was getting all the necessary information throughout the process.

Interview Questions

• Here's a list a numbers. Write code to put it in a binary tree   1 Answer

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

Apply online... HR phone screen then onsite interviews in Washington.

Onsites:
    Arrive in the morning, have lunch with interviewer then being loop of interviews.
    All interviews contained whiteboard coding covering DS&Algos, System Design, and Big O analysis.

Interview Questions

• Standard data structure, system design questions.   2 Answers

Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

I secured a technical phone screen for the position through a recruiting agency and was told it would take a maximum of 30 minutes. It ended up being a 15 minute conversation in which I was asked questions about the languages / technologies involved with the role. At the end of the call I was offered the position.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience with NodeJS and C#.   1 Answer

Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

Pretty professional interview process, they flew me over to seattle and gave me coffee inside the office during the interview. It started fast and ended fast. After of which they called me really soon.

Interview Questions

• Write a program to determine the change when theres a change of X value and coins are the common coins.   1 Answer

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

I apply on microsoft jobs website and a recruiter called me and ask me general question. It was only a phone screen call but they were looking for a person with more experience.

Interview Questions

• General question about my old job, a description of my old role in the company and how many years of experience I have in this role.   1 Answer