Microsoft Interview Questions in Seattle, WA | Glassdoor

3.3

2,060 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

5 to 6 interviews single day 1 hour each. Coding-based. You have to code on the whiteboard. Prepare data structures, algorithms, writing code. The first 3-4 decide if the hiring manager is going to interview you. Out of the first 3-4, you need to try to nail them all.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA).

Interview

During the phone interview, first of all, the interviewer did some self-introduction and then asked me why I choose Microsoft, what do you know about Microsoft.Then I was asked some questions about my projects and some algorithm questions.

Interview Questions

• What is the most valuable quality that you have to bring to our company?   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA).

Interview

Series of 1:1 interviews at different office locations throughout the day. Some very friendly conversations, others were more challenging and definitely felt like a test. Was a little confusing trying to figure out my next location without a chaperone.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about estimating the number of gas stations in the USA?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2017.

Interview

Did an on-campus interview at my college then flown out to Redmond for on-site. Met with on-site recruiter at 9 AM and started interview at 10 AM. I tried getting water at Building 28 (where my interview was) but the receptionist was unhelpful and irritated with answering questions. She then started complaining about how the posters about giving on her building was crooked. Generally not a good vibe. Technical interviews started at 10 AM. I had a total of 4 technical interviews.

I noticed all the engineers had their own room and not an open floor plan. This shows me Microsoft isn’t very open. All the interviewers worked at Microsoft for at least 10 years and were unenthusiastic about their job. The way they talked about their job and presented themselves seems like their career only revolves around Microsoft and they have no plan to go somewhere else. They probably figured their career is stagnant and staying at Microsoft is the safest option. All interviewers didn't ask me about why Microsoft probably because they don't value a candidate's excitement to work at Microsoft. Instead, they asked why I chose computer science as a major. Overall experience was negative because interviewers weren't excited about their job. The reason interviewers worked there was because they needed a job. Even my recruiter didn't seem happy. I like to see people excited about their projects. I believe in Microsoft's mission but the people their are not very motivated.

Interview Questions

• Given root node to a binary tree, reconstruct it and return its root node   1 Answer
    • Given 2d matrix and a string. Write a function to check if string is contained in the 2d matrix   Answer Question
    • Run length encoding, write compression function given input array and output array of bytes   Answer Question
    • - Design an API for searching for contact information.
      - Choose a data structure for search function
      - Implement search function   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2017.

Interview

Handed resume to recruiter at career fair, was contacted for on-campus a few weeks later. Afterwards, was contacted for on-site in Redmond, WA. Four 45 minute questions & heard results after 1 week.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2017.

Interview

Had an on campus interview, was pretty straightforward, resume review and a coding question.
    Was then invited to Redmond for final round interviews. They were 4 interviews back to back, 45 min each. They mostly started off with basic behavioral questions then to coding questions. Depending on the interviewer, there may be other coding questions or other questions related to how you would approach workplace problems.

Interview Questions

• All of the interviewers always started off with, "tell me about yourself"   Answer Question

Software Engineer - New Grad Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2017.

Interview

Met at Career Fair. Phone screen with HR and was invited onsite. Logistics was taken care by Microsoft. People were super nice and the campus is amazing! It was a university hiring event - around 50 students were present.

Interview Questions

• Interview was pretty simple.. Leetcode easy-medium questions. Arrays. Linked Lists. Trees. String. One of the interview (Eugene) was very rude and was totally NOT interested and didn't communicate well. Interview isn't super hard and should be easy to crack.   Answer Question

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2017.

Interview

Got contacted for an early screening which was a 30 minute phone call. 2 Months later I was flown to Redmond for four back to back 45 minute interviews. On the second day after the interview, I was contacted by phone and received an offer.

Interview Questions

• A brainteaser and some basic behavioral questions in the phone call.   Answer Question
    • 1 algorithm question and 3 questions that were a mix of algorithms, scalability and system design.   Answer Question

MIcrosoft Explorer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2017.

Interview

Submitted my resumé to an on campus event. A few days later they set up a phone interview and a couple weeks after that I was invited to fly out to Seattle. It was very nice, they pay for everything.

The final interviews are done in 3, 45 minute rounds. I thought I did really well but a week later I got an email telling me I would not be getting an offer. Do not expect feedback on the interviews, I am still wondering why I didn’t make it.

Interview Questions

• What is Your favorite piece of technology? How would you improve it?   Answer Question
    • Given an NxM matrix, iterate through it in a spiral direction.   1 Answer
    • How much does a Boeing 737 weigh?   1 Answer

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in September 2017.

Interview

Had a phone call for 30 minutes in March. Largely behavioral, but I was asked brain teasers at the end.

I was flown out in September to interview in Redmond. The experience was amazing, they really treated you well by paying for all necessary expenses and any sightseeing. On the day of the interview, I got to meet the other candidates in the morning and got lunch. Then we had 4 back to back rounds. These interviews were focused largely on Algorithms and thought process. I was asked 1 recursion/DP question, 1 graph question, 1 System Design, 2 Brain teasers, and 2 basic Data Structures questions overall. The interviewers did a good job at keeping you calm and focused during the interviews. It was a great experience overall!