Microsoft Senior Marketing Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 12, 2017

3.7

18 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Pre-screen series of calls with HR
Face-to-face interview day (9 back-to-back interviews) from 45min to 1 hour each
Mostly discussions about solving existing problems within their team or on their projects ("In this situation what would you do?")
Final interview is the key decision maker and will only be used if all the other interviewers approve

Interview Questions

• How would you solve....then they used specifics from their current situation, very much like a consultant question.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Unfocused and disjointed. Interviewers did not show up or were late. Conversation ranged from industry trends to complaining about their roles. Interviews happen at different buildings on campus which is nice as you see more of the organization. Same questions were asked repeatedly. Was left with feeling that group did not really know what role would produce. People were genuinely nice. Know your business and relate it to Microsoft's as much as possible.

Phone call from recruiter led to phone call from hiring manager led to one day interview loop on campus, but since people did not show up, there were several follow-up calls.

Interview Questions

• What do you think Microsoft should do to better compete in the marketplace?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in March 2014.

Interview

A Very formal and structural interview, including slightly touch of technical aspect to drill your knowledge. Some questions are very creative, and they wanted to understand how you interact with the problem solving skills

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft in June 2013.

Interview

Great set-up and follow-up. I went through three 1-hour long interviews and then a 2 hour long interview with a GM. Interviewers were professional, personal, interested and asked good questions.

Interview Questions

• Mostly we talked through my experiences and resume.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I negotiated a $5K bonus.

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Very typical MS interview loop. Each interviewer has assigned questions. The more people you meet, the better, since the loop works like a set of hurdles. If you miss a hurdle, you get an early lunch.

Interview Questions

• What startup would you build if you could?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2013.

Interview

Long process - 8 hours on campus followed by several phone interviews. Met with four managers for 1 on 1, met with three peers, met with various members of product technology teams for panel discussion.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in April 2012.

Interview

I was referred by an employee to the hiring manager who is in the process of creating a new group at Microsoft. He seemed very unprepared, was more concerned about the presentation he was about to make to other internal employees who were interested in the position. We spoke for about 45 minutes and he did most of the talking. He asked me to put together a one-pager on why I would be a good fit for the role, which I did, and then didn't hear back from him.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your marketing experience.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2011.

Interview

After two phone screenings I had a full day of four interviews. The first was from a HR person looking for a 'fit'. The second was with the hiring manager for a chat about the role and to get a feel of me. Finally I was brought in and interviewed with a one person from the organization that I was joining and three from other groups. They asked the normal: how would you do in this role, describe other roles with failure or success. What kind of person are you - the normal stuff. Some good questions about my background experience though.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about something you tried to do in one of your teams but the rest of the team totally disagreed with you.   1 Answer
    • If you were to start tomorrow, what would you do to make an immediate impact?   1 Answer
    • How do you work in a matrix organization?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate everything but starting level - salary, bonus, starting date. I was told that there wasn't much room and my friends at Microsoft said two different things - one said 'don't try to negotiate' while the others said 'negotiate'. I think if they really want you, they will negotiate but understand that it takes management approval for much more than they offer so be conservative.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in August 2011.

Interview

I had 5 one-hour long interviews in the same day. Two weeks later I was contacted by the hiring manager, that told me I got selected for the job and the HR would schedule one additional interview with the General Manager of the department.
    For all 6 interviews the HR person asked me for 4 options of days that I could be available. Then, they returned with the date I should block. One day before the interview I received the name of the interviewer, time and place (building/room number). I had to walk towards each Office where the interviews were conducted.
    All interviewers were very cordial and gave me their full attention during the interview. I felt very well treated by them. The first interview was more about my personal preferences of communication, working environment and working style. The second interview was with a "future" peer that asked me technically questions aiming to verify my knowledge. The third and forth interviewers were with very Senior persons that talked about many things and I can't say what they were trying to check. My 5th interview in that day was with the hiring manager and it happened at 4 pm. At that time I was completely exhausted. The hiring manager was a fantastic character and he manage to make the interview very relaxed and enjoyable. At that time he already had received feedback from the other interviewers and he double checked some of my answers. He also asked me to say one or two sentences about each person I had the chance to talk with. He finished the interview with just 40 minutes rather than 1 hour. Initially, that bothered me because I concluded that I could be of no more interest to him. But, before I left his office he made clear that he was empathetic with my full day of interviews, with all the tension it generates and that I had showed to be a very good candidate, hence there were no need for prolonging the stress. He also told me to wait for 1 or 2 weeks while they would be interviewing two other candidates.
    The last interview happened about 2 weeks later and it was just 30 minutes. The General manager was very friendly and had a very impressive resume. She walked along her department aisles introducing me to other employees and also showed off 4 very cool special offices dedicated for special tasks performed by her team.

Interview Questions

• Suppose that you are working in a very political environment, where people keep hidden agendas, they have no formal reasons to help you and your project depend on them. What do you do to move forward a project that you are responsible for considering that you have no authority over the people you depend upon?   1 Answer

I decided to accept another offer I got from a different company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA) in March 2011.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter who completed an initial phone screen. A week or so later, a phone interview was set up with the hiring manager, which went well. Then another week or so later, the recruiter called to schedule an in-person interview and begin travel arrangements.

Travel was rescheduled once due to a scheduling conflict with the hiring manager.

I flew out the day before and arrived at the office in the morning. The on-site interview began with the recruiter and then a series of peers to the role, a key customer to the role and finally the hiring manager. I was there for almost the entire day and pretty wiped out by the time I met the hiring manager... a little jet lagged too.

I thought everything went swimmingly, even the "bad cop" interviewer which MS is know to use in their interviewing process, until the end of the day... Questions throughout were focused and challenging. Conversations were engaging and friendly.

Ultimately, I was not made an offer but given good feedback as to why. Communication throughout was good. Travel coordination was simple and expense reimbursement was all automated and painless.

Their online systems used to manage the process were a bit tricky but usable.

Interview Questions

• How would you develop a strategy to market this product?   1 Answer