Microsoft Senior Product Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Senior Product Manager Interview Questions

3.6

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in September 2014.

Interview

At Microsoft, as a throwback to the good old days there is a draconian approach to interviews. They last a day and you meet with 5-6 people for an hour apiece. Those people get together and vote. The hiring manager then decides whether to move forward. If you do, you meet with the hiring manager, and then, if you pass, you often meet with their manager. The process takes all day. It can take months to get an interview and many more months to hear anything back if you are accepted. If you aren't accepted, you don't hear anything back. Not a really great experience. HR/recruiting is spread too thin to really be able to offer any insights or value.

Interview Questions

• For this role, the days of "trick" interview questions are over. The questions focus on your experience and value and seeing if you are fit for the team.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

First, a third party recruiter contacted me and we talked for about 45 minutes. Then a Microsoft employee recruiter interviewed me for about 30 minutes. Then the hiring manager interviewed me. Then they flew both me and my spouse out for a two-day interview process.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions were experienced based (tell me about a time when .....) or behavioral based (what would you do if...) Toughest question was when one of the interviewers started out the interview by telling me that he didn't think I was right for the job.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate, the package was more than I asked for.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2014.

Interview

Very well organized team arranging the whole process from end to end. Very open to questions around how things work and very detailed description of the role and responsibilities and how I would be measured.

Interview Questions

• What would be the first four new initiatives you would do based on your knowledge of the product?   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

met with 5 different people - some peers in team, others peers in different teams. If you get through these, you will meet a senior level person (the 'as appropriate') who will evaluate you for overall fit for Microsoft.

Interview Questions

• None difficult per se, just very behavioral in nature: "how would you size this market?", for example.   Answer Question

Negotiation

difficult to negotiate a lot on salary as they put you into a level band - but worth effort. Much more flexibility around 1-time expenditures, like signing bonus.

Senior Product Manager Interview

Interview

Sent resume through campus career fair, scheduled a on campus interview.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2013.

Interview

I had submitted a resume online back in December 2012, but was first contacted by a recruiter in early February. She emailed me, and we set up a conference call for the next day. After chatting with her about the position and my resume, she had indicated that the hiring manager (a Director) was interested in my background, and we set up a call for two days later between myself and the hiring manager.

That phone conversation went well also. Talked with the hiring manager about the position, his expectations, their products, the corporate structure of their team and how they are organized by product line. At the end of the call, the manager indicated that he wanted me to fly up to Redmond for face-to-face interviews, and he was interested in me due to the fact that I was currently working with a competitor, involved in the same type of software licensing realm this his team is involved with.

The on-site interviews went very well. It was a long day (5 one hour interviews), but it felt like they went by very quickly. I interviewed with the hiring manager again, a Sr. Product Manager who would be one of my peers, and other product managers and directors from other teams. Most of the interviews were very relaxed, get-to-know-you type conversations. The peer asked more business case questions, where there was not really a correct answer, but testing to see how you think through the problem. I thought I was a little shaky on this part, trying to get a feel if I was answering the question in the manner that he was seeking.

I flew back home, and was informed that the General Manager (the hiring manager's boss) was out of town while I was there, and they would make a decision on the 3 final candidates who would get to do a final phone conversation with the GM. Fortunately, I was selected, and was set up for a phone call with him the following week. I think this is the "final stamp of approval" type scenario. The phone conversation went very well with the GM, just like the others. He was doing more of the selling Microsoft and living in Seattle, telling me about his life experiences and how he ended up with Microsoft. He then did a little testing on my passion for technology, which is very important at Microsoft. We talked about different products (not related to what the role would be involved with), asking me questions about how I would approach competitively positioning the products. At the end of the call, we discussed salary expectations, and it ended with him letting me know that they would get back to me soon with a decision.

Two days later, I received an email from the recruiter with their offer. Based on the salary averages for the position that I saw here on Glassdoor, it was pretty much on that mark. I negotiated for a little more, and they met my counter-offer the next day. At this point, I accepted the job.

Overall, a very pleasant experience. And the recruiter and others who organized the interview process were always quick to respond to questions and informed me of all details throughout.

Interview Questions

• How would you position the Microsoft Surface to the market, and what other considerations should be taken into account (in relation to other Microsoft products)?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I countered their initial offer with a figure $6k higher. They accepted my counter.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2012.

Interview

Abstract questions to understand thought process.
    Push the candidates to see their tolerance for roadblocks
    Dealing with ambiguity

Interview Questions

• Dealing with Ambiguity - what if this doesn't work? what if budget is cut? What if you have a new manager every 6 months?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2011.

Interview

Some of the interviewers were fair and wanted to see the positive, some were trying to trip you up and wanted to see how you would react to stressful situations.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in March 2011.

Interview

They flew me to Seattle, and introduced me to 8 people over a full day. We went from office to office, white boarding problems. Most of the questions were not about my accomplishments but more test of my ability a to use logic to solve problems. It's important to review the number of people in various demographics because they will ask you to extrapolate.

Interview Questions

• Given the world population how many people are using Word?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in June 2009.

Interview

Having previously worked at MSFT, I knew exactly what to expect. I do feel sorry for those unfamiliar with the company. The logistics and details of the interview process were haphazard and last minute. The position I interviewed for was cut from their budget days later and it took them OVER 1 MONTH to get back with me to tell me that they were still trying to figure out the headcount situation. Poor HR experience at what is otherwise a good company.

Interview Questions

• What can Microsoft do to better compete with Apple in the mobile device space?   1 Answer