Microsoft Senior Program Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Senior Program Manager Interview Questions

Updated Apr 18, 2017

3.5

Senior Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

First HR phone screen with standard questions. Then hiring manager phone interview for 40 minutes. Onsite interview was arranged with 5 people. The hiring manager was the last one in the process and interviewed me for more than one hour.

Interview Questions

• General program/project management questions, and behavior questions.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

Referred by the hiring manager for role as a SPM on a BI team, leading the platform integration effort across the company. 1 day to apply, 1 day to phone screen, 2 days to in person interview.
    During the day long loop (5 1 hour interviews), it was decided that I was a better fit for another open role. Several weeks later, a half day loop (2 1 hour interviews), I met with the skip manager.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

The recruiter was very distracted and took several other calls (from other people) while on calls with me placing me on hold several times through the two week process. The interview process was classic old school Microsoft, too long, too many people and it confusing since no one could answer questions about the hiring manager and the role itself except to say many comments about a would-be peer who is a rockstar. The biggest challenge with this interview is that it was not focused on the role itself, it was more about my past and future rather than what it took to perform in the current opportunity, which was not well described verbally nor did the interview really focus on the written job description.

Interview Questions

• Describe a ideal/dream day at work, describe a time when you were and were not successful at driving feedback into the product group, do you think social media should be considered for gathering feature related feedback, have you ever been a feature PM in your past work experience.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Two days across multiple Windows Core teams. Questions were based on previous questions or a spin on the original problem proposed. They provided feedback on my presentation approach and body language with regards to future interviewers. Although some information was for MS eyes only, they told me about the feedback. Some asked why I was going for PM and not Dev position.
    They actually followed my interview guidelines. No silly logic whiteboard problems but real world problems were to be used. They followed this guideline which did surprise me

Interview Questions

• Very technical and problem solving. They looked for solutions that worked not specific solutions   1 Answer
    • They asked about setting up a kiosk where a connection to a remote database was lost   1 Answer

Negotiation

Yes and very easy. They made the MS argument that they are a benefits company and not just salary

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Washington, DC) in March 2016.

Interview

Typical process, separate interview gating with prospective group lead, then that person's business lead, then a day of team interviews. Team interview day was only a half day of interviews, as it was only part of the team. They had flown into my locale for an internal conference and were fitting me into the schedule. I was scheduled for 3 rounds, the first 2 consisting of pairs of team members and the last one was my prospective group lead's counterpart. When I showed up I was presented a small stack of papers to read and sign, one of which was an NDA to protect Microsoft from any proprietary information that might be shared with me during the interviews. It turned out to be ironic, as the senior interviewer in round 1 asked me how I would solve a certain problem they were facing, as I had been doing the exact same work on my current program, albeit at a much smaller scale. He was very unhappy with my vague answers, but I was not about to explain exactly how my team solved the problem, as it was proprietary to my current company. Strike one.

The second round consisted of 2 junior to mid-level team members who were new to the team within the last 2 years. Very energetic, asked typical and some odd questions. When I asked them to describe the job, they spent a lot of time detailing the long hours and hard work they were doing, but not much time about the actual problems or tasks. Strike two.

The last round consisted of normal interview questions until half way through. The interviewer slid a few sheets of paper across the table and explained it was a set of questions he used to give to candidates he interviewed when he ran a consulting company. He told me I had 20 minutes to answer the questions and then left the room. The HR recruiter from Redmond specifically told me that no tests would be given in any interviews, as that was an issue they had previously dealt with in their culture, but I found it annoying because I was interviewing for a PM position vice technical. Despite answering the questions to what appeared to be satisfactory when the interviewer returned and reviewed, I was no longer willing to be interviewing. Strike three.

Unexpectedly, the junior team member from the first round returned and asked if he could spend some time with me, as the senior member from his round monopolized the time (trying to pry proprietary info from me). This was the only normal and relevant conversation I had all day, but unfortunately by this point, I was acutely aware I was not a good fit for the culture. As I walked out, I saw the signs on the various conference room doors and discovered that the focus area of the questions I had been asked in all of the interviews was the topic of the conference. Enlightening.

Interview Questions

• What would you tell the group lead's business manager if he asked you how to fix Microsoft?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2016.

Interview

I had a phone screen via Skype and then a whole day of interviewing with principal program managers. I received a lot of technical questions on payment processing from 4 principal program managers. The problem was that I lacked technical experience and the role was too senior for me, they said that I would be a good fit for the company though this position was not a good fit for my skill set.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2015.

Interview

There were several recruiters in the process which made it quite cumbersome. The face to face interview in Redmond was very impressive. I'm still not sure which position I received an offer for. I had an offer call yesterday, but I have not yet received the offer email.

Interview Questions

• They were mostly questions regarding fit - based on experience   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

All day interview loop consisted of a total of 5 people from various teams including Development, Quality Assurance, Management, Partner teams, and Management. The loop is timed, spending no more than 30 - 45 minutes with each person. Some of the questions were technical in nature, others are more scenario-based.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in August 2015.

Interview

There were two 30-minute screens with recruiters. They were followed by four 45-minute interviews on 1:1 basis with a team of Directors, Senior Directors, and a GM. All questions were behavioral or situational. There were no case or critical thinking questions. Also, there were no exams or assessments. The interviewers were coordinated with their questions to develop holistic perspective.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in August 2015.

Interview

Very slow to set up, had 7 people in the interview loop all asking the same questions about prioritization and how to mitigate. Performed initial phone screen with an individual then came in and had one hour 1:1's with 6 other individuals that were part of the same team.

Interview Questions

• How would you mitigate having 2 immediate deliverable's.   1 Answer