Microsoft Senior Program Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 26, 2017

3.5

69 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

Found a great position online and had a referral put me in touch with the hiring manager. 1 phone interview and was then called for a loop on-site. The recruiters and logistic coordinators were awesome and were in touch throughout the process. The loop comprised of 6 interviewers - the final one being an as-app one with an executive. The first interview was a technical design one with a lot of white boarding and back and forth QnA. The next few ones focused more on product design and behavioral. There was also a 90 minute lunch interview with the hiring manager which was probably the toughest of the lot -- A lot of probing and testing to see how I could handle ambiguity and managing confidential information. The final few interviews of the day were more relaxed and focused more on my experience and how my skills were transferable to the position. I was contacted by the recruiter by the time I reached my hotel and was told the team was excited to have me on board. Overall a very smooth process and I was very motivated to accept the offer as soon as it came.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Senior Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

First HR phone screen with standard questions. Then hiring manager phone interview for 40 minutes. Onsite interview was arranged with 5 people. The hiring manager was the last one in the process and interviewed me for more than one hour.

Interview Questions

• General program/project management questions, and behavior questions.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

Referred by the hiring manager for role as a SPM on a BI team, leading the platform integration effort across the company. 1 day to apply, 1 day to phone screen, 2 days to in person interview.
    During the day long loop (5 1 hour interviews), it was decided that I was a better fit for another open role. Several weeks later, a half day loop (2 1 hour interviews), I met with the skip manager.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the time you had the greatest impact   1 Answer

Application

Interview

I had two different phone interviews with higher-ranking employees before having an on-campus interview loop. The day started by meeting with HR to discuss who I would be meeting with, and I was provided the one tip that I should ask clarifying questions. I then met with 3 team members and the hiring manager. Each of the individual interviews seemed to go very well, and the questions were more about my background/interests rather than technical questions with correct answers. I made it to lunch time and then it casually ended. Rumor is that MS has a second half of the day for interviewers if you make it that far, but I did not.

Interview Questions

• If we gave you locomotion to own as a program manager, what would you do?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

The recruiter was very distracted and took several other calls (from other people) while on calls with me placing me on hold several times through the two week process. The interview process was classic old school Microsoft, too long, too many people and it confusing since no one could answer questions about the hiring manager and the role itself except to say many comments about a would-be peer who is a rockstar. The biggest challenge with this interview is that it was not focused on the role itself, it was more about my past and future rather than what it took to perform in the current opportunity, which was not well described verbally nor did the interview really focus on the written job description.

Interview Questions

• Describe a ideal/dream day at work, describe a time when you were and were not successful at driving feedback into the product group, do you think social media should be considered for gathering feature related feedback, have you ever been a feature PM in your past work experience.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Two days across multiple Windows Core teams. Questions were based on previous questions or a spin on the original problem proposed. They provided feedback on my presentation approach and body language with regards to future interviewers. Although some information was for MS eyes only, they told me about the feedback. Some asked why I was going for PM and not Dev position.
    They actually followed my interview guidelines. No silly logic whiteboard problems but real world problems were to be used. They followed this guideline which did surprise me

Interview Questions

• Very technical and problem solving. They looked for solutions that worked not specific solutions   1 Answer
    • They asked about setting up a kiosk where a connection to a remote database was lost   1 Answer

Negotiation

Yes and very easy. They made the MS argument that they are a benefits company and not just salary

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2016.

Interview

I had a phone screen via Skype and then a whole day of interviewing with principal program managers. I received a lot of technical questions on payment processing from 4 principal program managers. The problem was that I lacked technical experience and the role was too senior for me, they said that I would be a good fit for the company though this position was not a good fit for my skill set.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2015.

Interview

There were several recruiters in the process which made it quite cumbersome. The face to face interview in Redmond was very impressive. I'm still not sure which position I received an offer for. I had an offer call yesterday, but I have not yet received the offer email.

Interview Questions

• They were mostly questions regarding fit - based on experience   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

All day interview loop consisted of a total of 5 people from various teams including Development, Quality Assurance, Management, Partner teams, and Management. The loop is timed, spending no more than 30 - 45 minutes with each person. Some of the questions were technical in nature, others are more scenario-based.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in August 2015.

Interview

There were two 30-minute screens with recruiters. They were followed by four 45-minute interviews on 1:1 basis with a team of Directors, Senior Directors, and a GM. All questions were behavioral or situational. There were no case or critical thinking questions. Also, there were no exams or assessments. The interviewers were coordinated with their questions to develop holistic perspective.