Microsoft Senior Program Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Senior Program Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Microsoft

3.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2018.

Interview

1 phone screen and 5 interviews over the course of two weeks. Met with 3 the first day who were more senior employees than the role interviewing for; met with 2 additional employees second day which included the As Appropriate as the final interviewer. Having been a former MS employee I understood the culture. After having left years ago, I was less than impressed with how many of the interviewers showed more arrogance than other companies I was considering (why should we hire you mentality). Additionally, with this particular group there was lack of appreciation for think big and out of the box ideas and more focus on technical abilities. A few in the loop were great, don’t get me wrong but it felt like those few were exceptions and not the norm. Didn’t feel energized to work there.

Interview Questions

• What do you do to gain the trust of your devs?   3 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Senior Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft in March 2018.

Interview

Was referred and had a phone screening with one of the Sr PMs in the team. Was invited to have an on-site. All went well, until one interviewer asked me tech stuff that had no relevance to what I had done. Got dinged after four rounds.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2015.

Interview

overall relatively straightforward job interview process. The effectiveness of interviewers completely depends on the individual interviewer. Oftentimes, because they have to fill the roster with diverse candidates you might not know if they are really considering you or if you are filling a quota, This is not always the case though.

Interview Questions

• Lots of scenario based questions "name a time when you had to X" as related to the role.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Two days across multiple Windows Core teams. Questions were based on previous questions or a spin on the original problem proposed. They provided feedback on my presentation approach and body language with regards to future interviewers. Although some information was for MS eyes only, they told me about the feedback. Some asked why I was going for PM and not Dev position.
    They actually followed my interview guidelines. No silly logic whiteboard problems but real world problems were to be used. They followed this guideline which did surprise me

Interview Questions

• Very technical and problem solving. They looked for solutions that worked not specific solutions   1 Answer
    • They asked about setting up a kiosk where a connection to a remote database was lost   4 Answers

Negotiation

Yes and very easy. They made the MS argument that they are a benefits company and not just salary

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in May 2013.

Interview

The interview process was streamlined. Referral through an existing Microsoft employee lead to a Microsoft recruiter reaching out on linked in. Followed by a phone screening interview and then an onsite interview loop which had 4 sessions. The onsite loop interview was getting more difficult as you pass one interview and move on to the next. The last interview session will only happen if all of your previous 3 interviewers gave you a recommendation to hire. The lunch interview is meant to be less formal, but have a healthy and hearty breakfast since you wouldn't be able to eat while the interviewer continues to ask questions.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The recruiter asked me an expected salary upfront and my offer matched what I put down as my expectation so there was not any negotiation involved, however the offers are pretty competitive and seldom need negotiation in general.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in January 2014.

Interview

The hiring process is haphazard. If your resume gets selected, you'll get a call from the recruiter. The recruiter will try to qualify you based on some canned questions. Your answers will be 'supposedly' reviewed by the hiring manager ( you'll never know unless you get a call for a phone interview with the hiring manager). The hiring manager will ask enough questions to see if it is worth to have you fly for an onsite. The onsite interview is the most comical process I've ever seen. You will be put through several rounds of interview with each round qualifying for the next. Everyone will input 'thumbs up or thumbs down' in the system. Consider yourself lucky if a senior person interviews you first and gives you a thumbs up because the rest of the buffoons will likely follow suit. Final interview with the executive is check the box type.

Interview Questions

• Why you want to work for Microsoft?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in April 2012.

Interview

good interview, total 2 informationals (1 telephonic and 1 in-person) and final on site interview with 5 people. It took a while to get all paperwork. The onsite interview was good, but tiring as it went on for entire day. You need to prepare well as you can expect questions from different fields. Overall, interview experience was good, got an offer very next day. The hiring manager was very keen on hiring.

Interview Questions

• Describe your relevant work experience.   1 Answer
    • Very specific technical questions wrt prior work experience.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

The recruiter was very distracted and took several other calls (from other people) while on calls with me placing me on hold several times through the two week process. The interview process was classic old school Microsoft, too long, too many people and it confusing since no one could answer questions about the hiring manager and the role itself except to say many comments about a would-be peer who is a rockstar. The biggest challenge with this interview is that it was not focused on the role itself, it was more about my past and future rather than what it took to perform in the current opportunity, which was not well described verbally nor did the interview really focus on the written job description.

Interview Questions

• Describe a ideal/dream day at work, describe a time when you were and were not successful at driving feedback into the product group, do you think social media should be considered for gathering feature related feedback, have you ever been a feature PM in your past work experience.   4 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

I had two different phone interviews with higher-ranking employees before having an on-campus interview loop. The day started by meeting with HR to discuss who I would be meeting with, and I was provided the one tip that I should ask clarifying questions. I then met with 3 team members and the hiring manager. Each of the individual interviews seemed to go very well, and the questions were more about my background/interests rather than technical questions with correct answers. I made it to lunch time and then it casually ended. Rumor is that MS has a second half of the day for interviewers if you make it that far, but I did not.

Interview Questions

• If we gave you locomotion to own as a program manager, what would you do?   4 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2013.

Interview

Multiple rounds of interview (6 in total). Last interview will be with what's called an 'As App' (As Appropriate). If you make it to this last person, the chances of you receiving an offer is high.

Interview Questions

• Lots of situational/behavioral questions.
      Technical questions around what is outlined in resume.   1 Answer