Microsoft Senior Program Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 17, 2017

3.4

68 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2013.

Interview

Multiple rounds of interview (6 in total). Last interview will be with what's called an 'As App' (As Appropriate). If you make it to this last person, the chances of you receiving an offer is high.

Interview Questions

• Lots of situational/behavioral questions.
    Technical questions around what is outlined in resume.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

I had two different phone interviews with higher-ranking employees before having an on-campus interview loop. The day started by meeting with HR to discuss who I would be meeting with, and I was provided the one tip that I should ask clarifying questions. I then met with 3 team members and the hiring manager. Each of the individual interviews seemed to go very well, and the questions were more about my background/interests rather than technical questions with correct answers. I made it to lunch time and then it casually ended. Rumor is that MS has a second half of the day for interviewers if you make it that far, but I did not.

Interview Questions

• If we gave you locomotion to own as a program manager, what would you do?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

Found a great position online and had a referral put me in touch with the hiring manager. 1 phone interview and was then called for a loop on-site. The recruiters and logistic coordinators were awesome and were in touch throughout the process. The loop comprised of 6 interviewers - the final one being an as-app one with an executive. The first interview was a technical design one with a lot of white boarding and back and forth QnA. The next few ones focused more on product design and behavioral. There was also a 90 minute lunch interview with the hiring manager which was probably the toughest of the lot -- A lot of probing and testing to see how I could handle ambiguity and managing confidential information. The final few interviews of the day were more relaxed and focused more on my experience and how my skills were transferable to the position. I was contacted by the recruiter by the time I reached my hotel and was told the team was excited to have me on board. Overall a very smooth process and I was very motivated to accept the offer as soon as it came.

Application

Interview

Referred by the hiring manager for role as a SPM on a BI team, leading the platform integration effort across the company. 1 day to apply, 1 day to phone screen, 2 days to in person interview.
    During the day long loop (5 1 hour interviews), it was decided that I was a better fit for another open role. Several weeks later, a half day loop (2 1 hour interviews), I met with the skip manager.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the time you had the greatest impact   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

I went through a full day of interviews with the team, each lasting approx 1 hour. The questions ran the gamut of technical and business knowledge. At the end of it, I felt exhausted.

Interview Questions

• How would you design and test a toaster?   1 Answer

Senior Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

First HR phone screen with standard questions. Then hiring manager phone interview for 40 minutes. Onsite interview was arranged with 5 people. The hiring manager was the last one in the process and interviewed me for more than one hour.

Interview Questions

• General program/project management questions, and behavior questions.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

The recruiter was very distracted and took several other calls (from other people) while on calls with me placing me on hold several times through the two week process. The interview process was classic old school Microsoft, too long, too many people and it confusing since no one could answer questions about the hiring manager and the role itself except to say many comments about a would-be peer who is a rockstar. The biggest challenge with this interview is that it was not focused on the role itself, it was more about my past and future rather than what it took to perform in the current opportunity, which was not well described verbally nor did the interview really focus on the written job description.

Interview Questions

• Describe a ideal/dream day at work, describe a time when you were and were not successful at driving feedback into the product group, do you think social media should be considered for gathering feature related feedback, have you ever been a feature PM in your past work experience.   2 Answers

Senior Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft in November 2016.

Interview

It's an on phone interview, 4 times on different sessions scheduled. Overall Interviews took 4 round, with 4 different interviewers, from different function and level. 2 x Technical, 2 x Theory / Concept

Interview Questions

• What is yours understanding of Intellectual Property ?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in April 2012.

Interview

good interview, total 2 informationals (1 telephonic and 1 in-person) and final on site interview with 5 people. It took a while to get all paperwork. The onsite interview was good, but tiring as it went on for entire day. You need to prepare well as you can expect questions from different fields. Overall, interview experience was good, got an offer very next day. The hiring manager was very keen on hiring.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Two days across multiple Windows Core teams. Questions were based on previous questions or a spin on the original problem proposed. They provided feedback on my presentation approach and body language with regards to future interviewers. Although some information was for MS eyes only, they told me about the feedback. Some asked why I was going for PM and not Dev position.
    They actually followed my interview guidelines. No silly logic whiteboard problems but real world problems were to be used. They followed this guideline which did surprise me

Interview Questions

• Very technical and problem solving. They looked for solutions that worked not specific solutions   1 Answer
    • They asked about setting up a kiosk where a connection to a remote database was lost   1 Answer

Negotiation

Yes and very easy. They made the MS argument that they are a benefits company and not just salary