Microsoft Senior Program Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 17, 2017

3.4

68 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in May 2013.

Interview

The interview process was streamlined. Referral through an existing Microsoft employee lead to a Microsoft recruiter reaching out on linked in. Followed by a phone screening interview and then an onsite interview loop which had 4 sessions. The onsite loop interview was getting more difficult as you pass one interview and move on to the next. The last interview session will only happen if all of your previous 3 interviewers gave you a recommendation to hire. The lunch interview is meant to be less formal, but have a healthy and hearty breakfast since you wouldn't be able to eat while the interviewer continues to ask questions.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The recruiter asked me an expected salary upfront and my offer matched what I put down as my expectation so there was not any negotiation involved, however the offers are pretty competitive and seldom need negotiation in general.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

1. Submit dozens (or maybe hundreds?) of applications over several months
    2. Contacted for phone screens for maybe 5 applications
    3. Two phone screens led to in-person interviews
    4. In-person interviews are most of a full day, meeting with 4-6 people for an hour each.
    5. They have one last interviewer held in reserve at the end of the day, not on your schedule. If the other interviewers judge you to be good enough, this "as appropriate" person (generally the most senior person, probably the final decision maker) will take time to interview you as well. If you don't meet with this "as appropriate" interviewer, you probably were judged to be not good enough to take time with & won't be getting the job. I imagine there are occasional instances where the "as appropriate" person has a last-minute conflict.

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate a little bit on the amount of stock included in the hiring incentives.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in April 2013.

Interview

I had first round of phone interview with the HR contact. On the phone, she asked me general questions about my experience. She asked me why I am leaving my current job and then also asked why I wanted to work for Microsoft. Once I cleared that, I was called for an in-person interview or the "loop" as they call it. The loop was set up with 4 people and then the last interview was as-needed one. During the loop i interviewed with Group program managers and the engineering manager. I was told if there is a need for as-needed interview it will scheduled for the next day.

My first 4 interviews went well. Each ran over an hour with detailed questions on my job experience. They gave me specific scenarios/situations. A couple of technical questions.
    By the time all 4 interviews were done i was exhausted. Be prepared it can be a very long day..

My last interviewer (4th one in the loop) told me i have the final interview the next day. That meant i had done well so far or they wouldnt have let me go ahead.

the next day interview was with a principal engineering manager and that lasted for 45 mins.

I heard from the HR back in 3 business days and I got the job.

Interview Questions

• Unexpected questions were more like what will you change in Microsoft if you were the CEO and why?
      What you dont like about Microsoft?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didnt need negotiation because the offer was matching my expectations. They are pretty generous and match the competitors.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in April 2013.

Interview

Overall very smooth and streamlined hiring and interview process. The recruiter that setup the hiring process was on top of everything. I had two phone screens followed by a full loop.

Interview Questions

• Design a scalable system to collect all feedback for the Office product system.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in April 2013.

Interview

As an external applicant, you will first have 1 or 2 phone interviews. If those interviews go well, then you will be invited to the company for an interview loop. This involves 5-6 hour long interviews over the course of a day, and can be quite exhausting. You must be on top of your game all day.

Senior Program Manager Interview

Interview

Phone Interview
    All Day Interviews (including "as applicable" at the end)

Interview Questions

• Word Problems that have nothing to do with the position so you can't predict what they will ask.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation required

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in March 2013.

Interview

full day, each person focused on a specific area (technical, work history, creative\inventive ability, etc). lunch included on campus. I enjoyed it. I felt the people were easy to talk to and did a good job of using the time with me to assess what they needed to - they talked about the right amount so we had a lot of interaction but I was definitely the one doing most of the talking.

Interview Questions

• One interviewer asked me to design a service for helping people book restaurants, walk through all the details to consider - basically seeing if I could go into depth and explain my thought process clearly. Another interviewer had me design a new feature for mobile - asking what telemetry we would need to drive the feature and how to represent this data it to customers.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in March 2013.

Interview

Was contacted for the Windows Team program management job, the role was very vague, passed the phone screen and went on site for an interview. Lasted all the way to the end 9AM to 5PM with no break, bumped in other candidates for the same role multiple times. The interview process is exhausting, everyone ask similar questions in different way. Was left hanging for over 3 weeks without an answer and with an HR guy that didn't really answer email or phone calls.

Interview Questions

• Tell me something I don't know for exactly 5 minutes   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2013.

Interview

Expect at least 4 to 5 interviews. Interviewers are knowledgable, so don't try to make up your answers. Just be honest with your answers, and if you don't know just say so. Some positions are harder to get than others, so do your homework before applying. :)
    By the way, better be prepared to answer some Fermi problem type of questions.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2013.

Interview

Multiple rounds of interview (6 in total). Last interview will be with what's called an 'As App' (As Appropriate). If you make it to this last person, the chances of you receiving an offer is high.

Interview Questions

• Lots of situational/behavioral questions.
      Technical questions around what is outlined in resume.   Answer Question