Microsoft Senior Service Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Senior Service Engineer Interview Questions

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in September 2015.

Interview

First was a written test , it was a subjective test , one has to explain his/her ideas/solutions.

4 rounds of face to face interview , at the Microsoft office.

The face to face interviews were very well organised and each of the interview was on time.
The good thing, I liked about the process was before the interviews started, we had a 15 minute introduction to the department and the roles for the current position.

After the 4th round, the final interviewer will escort you out of the building.

The interviewee has to sit in a conference room ( for all the rounds) and the interviewers will come find you. Each round for times for 45 minutes and a break of 15 minutes between them.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions were based on various topics ( all that I had on my resume), however on each of the question, the main focus was on problem handling, reaction and solution (even though you are not able to hit the right solution, please speak up with your ideas. In my case, I did and the interviewers did help me move forward).

The interviewers were cordial and made sure I was comfortable and could think in a calm manner. The emphasis was more on problem solving and thinking in the right direction ( rather than language or specifics of a code).

For example -
    1) Design a web based application ( emphasis was on load balancing, failures etc).
    2) Construct your own linked list
    3 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

Interview

Microsoft recruiter sent in a linked In invite for the service engineer role.

First was written test , not a objective one instead a detailed one for example explain IaaS, PaaS etc.

4 rounds of In-person interview at MS office.

Before the interviews started we had a 15 minute introduction about the role and the department. ( appreciate that, it gave a sense of what was the department and job like)

Each round was 45 minutes ( timed) and a break of 15 minutes between each round.

The main focus of the interviewee(s) was to gauge the interviewers response/solution for a given situation and analysis behind the approach.

It was well organised and the interviews were on time. The interviewee had to be in one room and the interviewers will find the room.

Interview Questions

• Majorly on my professional experience , tools technologies, latest technologies.

Data structures , typical questions - Write your own Data structure implementation.

Emphasis was on real-time support bugs/resolutions.Tools that will help the support/debug issues.

My suggestion for the service engineer roles is to not get too carried away with data structures, algorithms ( these are necessary for the software developer role), instead concentrate on overall application , support, scenarios to debug large scale apps, tools and technologies, DevOp and Design.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Got contacted by HR and took the telephonic few days later, was flown into Seattle(all expenses paid) for face to face. This is the lengthiest face to face you will find, some repetitive questions, for some reason I think Microsoft interviewers really want you to follow their chain of thought, there are 10 ways to solve a problem and would like to hear till you get to their way, the interview as such was not difficult but tedious because after 2 different hourly technical interviews your brain needs a break but it goes on and on followed by lunch interview and few more technical and hiring manager etc etc. If you really want to judge the technical skills an hour is just enough or may be two at max, no point in leaving someone brain-dead and still follow up with more interviews.

Interview Questions

• There was nothing difficult as such they really are not doing any rocket science, but if they are picky on some technology they will grill you on it, ex. f5 load balancers, if its on your resume better know it in and out and i dont mean load balancing methods, much beyond that. Questions such as application slowness issues through F5.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in May 2012.

Interview

The hiring process began through LinkedIn. Initial contact was with a Microsoft FTE recruiter. We eventually had what I felt was a non-technical phone screen (though post being hired I know FTE recruiters take questions from the team for initial screening). About a week or so later I was asked to come onsite for an interview loop.

The interview loop is a flexible one and fluctuates based on how you're doing. You always start with the recruiter. This interview is where your day's agenda is set. You'll be handed a sheet of paper with times and names. The morning interviews are the technical ones (and it's nearly unheard of not to make it to lunch).

If you make it past lunch, you're normally doing pretty well. Some interviews in the afternoon may be marked "As Appropriate". In general, post lunch interviews are with your direct manager and a skip level manager (depending on the org, you might interview with the manager at that skipped level as well).

Anyways, you normally interview with 3 folks before lunch, one during, and two after ... again depending on how you're doing.

Interviews last 45 minutes. You should not expect your interviewer to always be on time --> this is a cultural thing at Microsoft. Most interviewers will be casually dressed. Again, it's a Microsoft/Pacific NW thing.

In regards to technical depth in the technical interviews, you'll run the gamut. I found out after I was hired that I was, unbeknownst to me, interviewing for two positions while on campus, so my interviews encompassed two services. My interviews were technical and I definitely made use of a whiteboard in all of my morning interviews. The afternoon interviews were definitely a "fit" thing.

In regards to an offer, I flew home immediately following my interview loop. The next day was right before a holiday weekend so I didn't expect to hear anything before Tuesday at the earliest. To my surprise, my recruiter called me with an offer, including relocation package, that Friday.

Interview Questions

• Microsoft doesn't try to trick people during interviews. They ask technical questions that are sometimes open-ended so that they may better understand how you think and solve problems.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiations are commonplace in regards to compensation and, in my experience, were nothing but pleasant. If they've gone so far as to make you an offer, they want to actually hire you.