Microsoft Senior Software Development Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 20, 2017

3.3

58 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied for the Sr. Software Engineer position in azure group and got a call within a month. The recruiter arranged for a phone interview which consisted of couple of technical questions which I answered perfectly within an hour. Everything went well from my end but to my disappointment I did not hear back neither from the recruiter nor the interviewer. I have interviewed for more than 5 times and did really good in almost all of them but no response whatsoever. I just don't get how things roll in this company! No communication or feedback, an absolute disrespect for candidates time. What kind of insecure people are interviewing candidates here? I hope the manager or a shadow person was present with the interview so as to minimize such bias. I hope this actually is taken up by the HR and good talent is not lost due to some insecure people at the company.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me via LinkedIn. Setup a phone interview with 3 different groups and 2 groups wanted to bring me on site for a final interview.

On-Site Interview with Group # 1:
    Hiring manager expressed his desire openly to hire me at the end of an interview and he asked to meet the director (he was not on my interview schedule). It was a clear sign that they will extend me an offer based on hiring manager's feedback. But they disappeared completely after an on-site interview. Recruiter did not even bother to email me saying I am rejected. Totally unprofessional behavior after the interview.

Group # 2
    Hiring manager was totally unprofessional. After each interview with his team members, he asked me to wait outside conference room and checked with the interviewer how I performed. One of the interviewer did not even book a conference room for an interview, instead he walked me over their entire building to find a break room where we can sit and discuss. Eventually he found an open floor white board where tons of ppl walk by every minute and he asked me to write a code on that white board while other ppl walking by looking at what I am doing. Really? I work in Fortune 100 company but never seen this type of unprofessional interview. I totally hate the hiring manager and the group, so I was not expecting to get a positive response from this group.

Overall Microsoft has a tendency to interview tons of ppl but that does not necessarily mean they are actively looking to hire someone right away. So don't go with a feeling that you will get an offer if you are prepared. I think I did exceptionally well with Group # 1 (technically, behavior, leadership and management discussions) but they disappeared completely.

I had a totally unprofessional on-site interview experience.

Interview Questions

• Resume, Technical, Behavioral, Leadership and Management   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied via employee referral process. After phone call with Dev Lead I managed to fly to Redmond. It was 3 round interview loop in one day, second day I received offer.

Interview Questions

• coding on white table (data structures), solution architecture related questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in June 2016.

Interview

I am posting and rating this interview experience as negative only because of one person(Sr SDE) that was involved in the process, I will get back to her behavior later. First thing first,Hiring manager and product manager were really nice persons, they were very professional. My first interview was with product manager, which went for 45 min and I was asked some ethical, behavioral and product related questions. My 2nd interview was a technical loop with Sr SDE, about which I will discuss later in a separate paragraph. My 3rd interview was with Hiring manager, which lasted beyond time limit of 60 min, I was asked some tough questions but we both were enjoying conversation and he seemed impressed with my talk and experience. After the interview I was told by hiring manager that he will take hiring decision by eod tom only as he will meet everyone today evening or tom morning. After the interview I had the gut feeling that I nailed it, as I aced all 3 interviews. Though I can't comment on how my answers to behavioral and ethical questions were taken, but for some questions,I was told on the spot by product manager that what I answered was a correct answer and this was to test core values. My only concern was technical interview even though I nailed every question asked, because of behavior and conduct of interviewer, now lets jump to what happened in technical round.

I was introduced to Sr SDE( who was a tester for most of her career at MS, I think she was made SDE because of last year's changes in MS) by Product Manager. It was supposed to be a lunch interview for about 90 min, with lunch from 12:00 to 12:30 and from 12:30 to 1:30 continue interview in conference room. I greeted this lady but I was not given any response. She ignored the schedule and directly took me to conference room for interview. She didn't had copy of my Resume, I had 4/5 copies of my resume with me, so I shared one with her. She asked me a TSQL question on white board, which I resolved in like 5 sec, she then got surprised and tried to made it complicated, I resolved that too quickly, then she asked me what if each of these intervals are dynamic in nature, I resolved that too, she told me it will not work, I told her lets test to check and it worked. She accepted that it will work. Then she asked me ranking function related TSQL question, which again I resolved in 10 sec, she then asked me how you will test it. I told her about 7/8 test cases and how you can write all these in VS DB unit testing project. My resume has lot of other stuff like Big data, Machine learning, Python, Java and data science. It was very clear that she didn't had any experience with any of these as she completely ignored asking any question related to these. She then asked me how you will predict sales amount for our product, which is very open ended question, I talked about it for like 10 min(discussed different feature selection, model selection and validation tech and challenges around curse of dimensionality and how to take care of it) and it became clear that she didn't understood what I am talking and also she didn't asked me a single follow up question. Only question she asked me, how much out of these I have implemented. With her facial expression and postures I became sure that she didn't came prepared for interview and she also don't know much about ML/data science/Datawarehouse/Big Data/MPP and analytical technologies, for which she was supposed to interview me. She then asked me do you know .NET(not listed on my resume). I said no I don't , but then she replied, oh you know Java( I said yes as it was on my resume, expecting some follow up algorithm question or oop question), but she didn't asked me any question related to algorithm or OOP. She then ended interview asking if I have any questions. After the interview she took me to lunch area in Microsoft and though it was a lunch interview sponsored by MS, I PAID FROM MY POCKET FOR THE LUNCH as she pointed me to pay! After that she just wanted to leave me unattended(Though my MS issued ID said, I should be escorted all times for security reasons), I asked her can I sit in the conference room till start of my next interview, she replied yes and then she asked me to walk myself to hiring manager room after 15 min and she left me unescorted for next 15 min. I greeted her before she left, she didn't replied back and just left. Only idea I got at the end of this interview with her was that she didn't liked me at all from the very go. Later it took me 5 min to search for hiring manager room.

Though I am none to comment on the competencies and professional behavior of any individual. But this is the last thing I was expecting from a Microsoft Senior Software Developer. I would definitely like Microsoft HR to look into this issue.

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft in June 2016.

Interview

This is the first telephonic round of microsoft's interview procedure. The round was for 1 hour, and was completely technical. Interviewer spent half time on my work, and half time on a programming problem. For my work part, he discussed about the kind of work I did, design issues, architecture and debugging issues, etc.

Interview Questions

• Take all leaf nodes of a binary tree in order, and put them into a linked list.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Applied through Microsoft Careers. A couple of weeks later was contacted by Hiring Manager via e-mail who suggested to have a phone conversation. During phone talk we discussed my past experience, my approaches to solve problems and I was asked to solve one algorithmic problem. Soon after that I was contacted by HR team who invited me for on-site interview in Redmond. Trip to on-site was perfectly organized and I really enjoyed it. I had whole day on-site interview. I was pleasantly surprised that besides algorithmic and design problems interviewers also discussed my past experience, asked for the examples how I solve problems at work and overall they definitely read my resume :-) A couple of weeks after my on-site interview I was contacted by recruiter who told me that I've got the offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. Offer was very good.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in August 2015.

Interview

There were overall 3 interviews as I am an internal candidate. First two were focused on data structures, the third one is about a design. Total 3 hours for interviews. The questions were related to Graph theory and dynamic programming in data structures area. The design question was related to building scalable notification system. Interviewers asked for recent experiences and challenges and also the reason for looking for change. The questions were closely related to the problems the teams are working on.

Interview Questions

• The technical questions are:1. How do you find if a directed graph is a tree and code for it?
      2. Dynamic programming - 5 Painters to paint homes at the least cost - given different cost for painting with different colors(3 choice colors). Conditon: No adjacent homes in the 5 houses that are in a row can't have same color.
      3. Design a scalable notification system.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Usually there are six rounds of interviews. First round is kind of technical screening and next two rounds of technical problem solving questions. Two more rounds for design questions and finally a discussion with the manager or skip level.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

Had an initial interview with a recruiter. Then had a tech screen (phone interview), followed by an on-site interview with 3 engineering leads followed by an interview by the manager. Happened on Friday, got the offer on following Monday.
    Incredibly professional, engaging and challenging. Learnt quite a bit about myself in the process. Got to give it to Microsoft!
    From the arrangements (Flight/Hotel etc.) to the actual interviews, it was a genuine pleasure. Highly recommend the experience.

Interview Questions

• Questions on design patterns. Design system for a hypothetical e-commerce store...entities...design it to be distributed.   1 Answer
    • Print a matrix in spiral fashion...so
      Matrix input example (Arrows indicate how the spiral happens...start at first arrow go in circle and move to next arrow...etc.)
      ->1 1 1 1 1
         1 -> 2 2 2 1
         1 2 2 2 1
         1 1 1 1 1

Output: 11111111111111222222   1 Answer
    • Clone a linked list that has a cycle (do not fix the cycle). Is there a way to uniquely identify a node without relying on a hash code?   1 Answer
    • a) Develop a XML parser (rules: Node closures and single root node..i.e. root node cannot be duplicated in structure).
      b) Count occurrences of words in a string (with string too large to be processed in memory).   1 Answer
    • a) Develop LRU cache
      b) Design distribute file storage system with load balancing and fail-safes (machine taken offline or new machine/node added)   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

A recruiter called me to schedule a phone screen technical interview with a developer team lead. The technical interview was supposed to be an hour but lasted an hour and a half; the team lead was very interested in my project work, and the overall impression was very positive, even though no coding was tested during the phone screen. Before I stepped into the office, I got the e-mail request for me to fly to Seattle and meet the team the following week. Scheduling was very easy to work with and I had no issues getting to Seattle; a rental car was even booked for me, and meals and parking can be expensed. The first interview was with the recruiter, who was very friendly and provided some insightful information on how the interviews work and a schedule with the people I would meet. She also mentioned that there were multiple teams monitoring these interviews and that if I did well in the interviews there would be additional interviews that were not on the schedule. While there was a lunch interview that was a bit more casual (no whiteboard = no coding), I didn't let my guard down; all other interviews were highly technical and required coding or analyzing code. I eventually met double the number of people I was scheduled for and the interviews lasted 7 hours. It was a gruelling day, and one interviewer asked me questions outside of my knowledge zone, but it was extremely insightful as to the difficulty level of a first-tier software tech company interview, and I learned a lot of what was being expected at Microsoft.