Microsoft Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Microsoft

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in May 2016.

Interview

This was for Clod and Applications, powerBI gateway team.Phone screen , 3 technical rounds. Pure Computer Science and Data Structure. All White boards. NO Azure, No Database, no REST, no WCF. just Plain CS.

Interview Questions

• Phone interview : 1. Design elevator [How many elevators do you need for n storied building]   Answer Question
  • Phone Interview:2 2. Figure out whether the given Tree is BST or not.   Answer Question
  • First technical round 1. Write function to get Fibonacci number both iteration and recursion.   1 Answer
  • 3. in a given 2 D plane, how will you find that given co-ordinate lies in within a rectangle in 2D plane.   Answer Question
  • Second Round: Design Elevator - The interviewer was same as phone person so kept same questions.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Raleigh, NC) in July 2016.

Interview

First step was an interview with the group manager, informal meet and greet type of thing.

Second step was a tech screen consisting of some basic "fit" questions and a code test on data structures and algorithms.

Third step would be the in person round.

These guys are very bright and professional, it was a great overall experience.

Interview Questions

• Describe some work you're proud of ...   Answer Question
    • How do you envision team members having a voice in the direction of the product?   Answer Question
    • Create a linkedlist structure and write a method to reverse it in place   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in March 2016.

Interview

3 rounds of interview followed by offer. Interview questions were very basic nothing as hard as Google or Facebook. met with 3 people 1:1 they submitted the feedback and i got the offer afterwards.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in April 2014.

Interview

Interviews with current staff members, some managers. Interview consisted of meeting with key executive for the first round, discussing job and the reason it came open (a senior engineer had taken another position and was within a week of leaving). After this meeting came a roundtable meeting with the software development team, who asked numerous questions about my background and answered a few of my questions.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

It was with Bing API team in Seattle onsite Interview. There was one telephonic interview offsite and they asked me linked list problem. Intersection of linked list. total 4 rounds of Interview and overall it was a good experience.

Interview Questions

• Question: 1) Javascript 2) BST 3) String 4) Array   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by the Hiring manager after seeing my resume that was submitted fora different opening. Had a phone screen with a principal engineer in the same project. No coding questions were asked but had a great conversation on network management, latency and my work in general. Was scheduled for an onsite interview after 2 weeks. Had a short phone call with the recruiter the day before the interview on what to expect during the day. I was told that 3 rounds of 1:1 interviews were scheduled with a potential for that to be extended to two more rounds. Was specifically told that more than 3 interviews is considered a good sign. The recruiter also promised to get back within 48 hours with the result.
    First round of interviews was with a principal engineer. He let me use his development system to code. Along with the main coding question, was given two additional code snippets to find bugs/issues. All three problems were not overly had but had plenty of areas which lead to software design discussions. The next was a lunch interview with was very pleasant. Had an opportunity to talk about both work and life in Seattle. The last 30 mins were dedicated to a system design/requirements gathering question and was also asked to pseudo code the algorithm at the end. Third round was with the hiring manager. Was asked to go deep into a mutual exclusion problem that i had coded around 5 years ago. I had forgotten a lot of finer details of it and was finding it hard to recollect. He let that pass and asked me a coding question that i was able to code. The 4th round was with one of his peers. The hour was mostly spend on OS fundamentals with a coding problem at the end.
    Had a good experience overall and i was happy with my performance. Waited 3 days for the recruiter to let me know the result but all i got was radio silence. Had to convince myself that i didn't make it after waiting for a week. I guess their hiring standards are really high. One advice for other folks is to brush up on their past work to as much detail as possible. I felt i had missed out on the interview with the Hiring manager where i couldn't go deep into my past work. Another helpful tip is to ask as many clarifying questions as possible to their coding problems. Every one in the interview including the Hiring manager are able to device a problem on the spot and leave the details to us. It really helps to nail down the details before staring to code. Also beware that they can stop you at any time and pose a specific assumption for the problem that makes you change your approach and re-think all over again.

Interview Questions

• Cant share questions Signed NDA.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Applied through a referral. Was flown to Seattle for a day. Four interviews, 2 technical, 2 more of behavioral. Microsoft is a decisive company, one side of it is the vibrant company trying to zoom into the next gen world, another side is a lagging huge dinosaur and you can see both of those all the way from interview to on boarding.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

Online test then in person interview in Redmond, WA. All travel expenses including air ticket, hotel, meals every day were covered by employer. Nice and big campus, met friendly people there

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Mountain View, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Very professional and well organized interview system. Every interviewer treated me with respect and made me comfortable. Interviews range from problem solving, coding, and design questions. One round covered the testing in depth.

Interview Questions

• Design and implement the photo gallery app on Android or iOS   2 Answers

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft in February 2015.

Interview

5 interviews - all coding questions. Good interviews and people. they do all interviews at same day and location and place. Overall good experience with interview and process. I would recommend this.