Microsoft Service Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Service Engineer Interview Questions

3.4

19 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in January 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter on Linkedin , Then had a telephonic interview technical sort off, Resume interview which was also on phone. Then I was called in the Seattle head quarters for the final round. There were three interviews in all . Each 45 minutes long and had a break of 15 minutes between interviews.

Interview Questions

• Design and maintain a video streaming service website, What are your challenges how will you over come them.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

I had the first round over phone with a senior member of the cloud team. I was invited onsite to Redmond after that for final round of interviews. There were 4 back to back interviews with 4 members from the service engineering team of varying seniority levels. The interviews were intellectually challenging and focused more on troubleshooting, design and trying to ascertain the cultural fit. Each round lasted for about 45 minutes. Technical questions with a sprinkling of questions on business aspects of the case were asked.

Service Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft in October 2015.

Interview

Applied online then was contacted for a 30 minute phone screening: mostly behavioral and couple questions testing your technical logic. Was then contacted by a travel agency for an on-site interview at headquarters in Redmond. Put in a very nice hotel and arrived half a day early to do some exploring. The interview process took a large part of the day, left hotel at 10am & finished around 5pm. Had 4 back-to-back 45 minute 1:1 interviews with engineers of various management levels. They definitely catered the interviews to your resume/expertise and wanted you to succeed. It was a great interview experience with very professional and experienced HR all along the way. Very excited to be returning to work for them this summer!

Interview Questions

• How would you describe what a web browser is to someone who doesn't use technology?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation for interns.

Service Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

The internship interview process is pretty simple. THere was one phone interview. I cleared it and was called to Seattle for their on site rounds. There were 4 onsite interviews. interview run through out the day, testing not only technical skills but your patience as well ..

Interview Questions

• on site interview was open ended situational questions. Scenario based questions. which situation is more serious and which will you handle first. Questions on project.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview process consists of a phone screen after which they invite you to Redmond for 4 back-to-back interview. Service Engineer position is mainly associated with their cloud platform and most of the questions were related to that. I was also asked to code in white boards and write test cases for each problem. They also asked questions on Networks and Operating Systems.

Service Engineer Interview

Interview

Applied at school fair, got a call/email 2 months later
    Scheduled phone interview.
    Standard behavioral questions. with thought questions. "how would you build a computer?" "how would you set up a home router?"

Received an email a few days later, telling me i did well, and they were flying me out.
    Plans and everything is done through email. they pay for flights and expenses.

depending on the department interviewing for, you will get 3-7 interviews by the department you applied for. at least 1 technical interview, 1 manager interview, and 1 character interview (social lunch interview).

Interview Questions

• the character interview is hard, just because its just social interactions. thinking up conversation topics on the fly was pretty difficult. you have to fit microsoft's social atmosphere.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in March 2014.

Interview

One phone interview. 4 on-site interviews. Interviews mostly didn't involve any coding, and were mostly about diagnosing service problems and creating theoretical web services.One question was about taking an Android app that I had made and making it a cloud-connected app across many devices, including utilizing a CDN, etc. One question was about designing an online payments service. Then, designing a cloud service similar to Azure that would run it. One question was about finding and diagnosing a problem in a Microsoft service, whether it be at the user end, somewhere in the network, or at a MSFT datacenter.

Interview Questions

• How would you use social media tracking to determine if there is a problem with a Microsoft service?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Intern position. There actually is some leeway in negotiations for interns, and I have talked to some interns who were able to negotiate their pay up, but I didn't myself.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in March 2014.

Interview

First, phone screen. If you meet the bar, you're on-site, company paid.
    Second, round of four interviews with software service and data center questions.
    If you meet the second bar, the partner group manager will let you in their office.
    PGM has the final say, turn-around is fast, generally within a few days. Don't expect feedback if you miss.

Interview Questions

• General Intro.
      Describe how ARP works.
      Design a HA service stack using modern data center designs. Know your terms!
      Explain comfort relocating / why Microsoft.
      -If you meet the bar-
      Personality Interview with Partner Group Manager

...had to pass a background check. US citizenship is a huge plus because of Federal customers.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate since the sheer number of zeros boiled my puny college brain. "No more ramen for lunch!!? NO WAI." As a tip, don't __ever__ take the first offer. Should shoot for 10% base salary sign-on bonus and 10 - 15% stock award.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Dallas, TX) in February 2014.

Interview

Got selected for phone interview from career expo resume drop.30 min telephonic interview. Questions about past jobs and projects. Some behavioral questions.
    Non technical profile. Prepare your resume well. Mostly resume based questions will be asked.

Interview Questions

• Which project work you felt challenging in your past work ex and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2014.

Interview

Phone screen for 40 minutes. I was then invited for an OnSite meeting. There were four rounds of 45 minutes each. Each of these were 1:1 interviews and were very very intense. I was tested on my tech skills, logical reasoning, problem solving abilities, abstract reasoning. Alongside I was also informed a lot about Microsoft engineering. Looking back I realize the tone of the interview was very very informal, although the content of the interview was very intense.

Interview Questions

• How many pair of shoes in Boston right now?   1 Answer