Microsoft Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 28, 2017

3.1

Software Development Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft in October 2016.

Interview

My resume was somehow given to a Microsoft representative. I'm still not sure how. I was emailed and called to ask to interview in the next few days. There was only one technical question with about 15-20 minutes to solve it. Overall I was very thankful for the process and the experience.

Interview Questions

• Given a graph, how would you visit every node only once (without visiting any previous nodes)?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

It was an on campus interview asking basic algorithm and data structure questions. I think the Difficulty level was medium. You need to speak about your experience and past projects and code on paper or white board. It was my first tech interview so I did not have much practice. Could have gone better if I was more confident and experienced

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Austin, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me after coming across my resume. Had an interview on campus and it was entirely technical. He asked me to solve a question based on recursion on a white board. Was helpful in guiding me in the right direction. Interviewer had a very thick oriental accent and communication was definitely an issue. Had to ask him to repeat himself on multiple occasions.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in August 2016.

Interview

I had a phone interview with them over Skype. They called me on time and the interviewer was very pleasant. So, I could relax and talk about my experiences, enjoying the conversation. Not too difficult, not too easy.

Interview Questions

• Brain teasing question. Behavioural questions. Previous experience questions.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I applied for a job on the Microsoft careers site for a job in the Microsoft New York office (I need to stay in New York), and they gave me a programming test to do. After taking the programming test, I got contacted for an in person interview in Redmond, not in New York. After thanking them and explaining that I can't relocate, they contacted me again for a phone interview for a job in Washington DC. After explaining again that I'm not able to relocate and that the job I was applying for is in the New York office, they told me someone else would contact me. Then, I got another message stating that I should have applied for a job in New York if I was unable to relocate, which is what I did in the first place. Microsoft's HR department is pretty disorganized.

Interview Questions

• Are you able to relocate for this job?   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft in February 2016.

Interview

Dropped resume at career fair and was contacted for on-campus interview a few days later. Only a 30 minute scheduled interview. First question was straightforward. Second question was purely conceptual and my explanation wasn't as smooth so that's what probably did it for me. Otherwise the interviewer was laid back and nice to talk with.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of objects, each with a unique hashcode, how would you find a duplicate? What if the list was so large that it didn't fit on one computer?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in February 2016.

Interview

[TLDR: The worst interview experience of my life. The Microsoft recruitment team did a terrible job.]

I met with a recruiter on my university's campus in October 2015 and gave her my resume. I told her I was interested in a hardware intern position but she set me up with an interview for the software internship instead. I asked her about it in an email response and she told me that if I could get a job in software, I could just switch to hardware once I got there for the summer. I had an on-campus interview which seemed to go well. Mostly behavioral and experiential questions with one coding question. The interviewer kept cutting my responses off which was unsettling.

I followed up with a thank you and my recruiter told me I would hear back in 3 weeks. 3 weeks goes by and I still haven't heard a response so I send a follow up. The recruiter gets back to me and tells me to wait two more weeks. I don't get a response in two weeks so I send a follow up. The recruiter tells me I move on to the next round of interviews and connects me to a new recruiter. The new recruiter tells me that I will be interviewing in person and that I should be in contact with a scheduler within the next two weeks to set up an interview time. I told her about my situation about wanting to work in hardware and she said that it should be fine. The scheduler sends me an email asking for three dates that I could make it during which she tells me I will be interviewing in Raleigh, NC. I give the three dates and she responds with a form for me to fill out with the final date. This is beginning/mid January 2016 at this point). I don't hear any confirmation on my flight or hotel within two weeks (end of January 2016). I send a follow up and the scheduler responds saying she had been sending to the wrong email address (I'm very frustrated at this point). She also says that there are no more positions in Raleigh so I will be interviewing in Seattle....

I finally get flight confirmation and I'm in Seattle and have confirmation for my first interview at 11am the next morning. I wake up early around 8am and luckily so because around 8:25am I get a call from my scheduler saying she told me the wrong time and location of my interview. I was actually supposed to meet with a recruiter at 8:30am at a location that was 30min away from my hotel. I have two and a half heart attacks and tell her I don't have transportation and she tells me to grab a Microsoft shuttle. She also reassures me that this won't count against me and she has alerted my interviewers of the mistake. I quickly get ready and make it to the first interview by 9:20am. I unfortunately never got to meet with a recruiter so I didn't even know what team I was interviewing with when I got there. I found out I am meeting with CDM (load management) from my first interviewer because I had to ask and I felt unprepared and unprofessional about that. Before I had been told that I was just interviewing for Microsoft in general and not a specific team, but my interviewer tells me up front I am interviewing for an internship with the CDM team (remember that I wanted to be in hardware in the first place and was told I could switch if I got the job). He gave me a schedule for the rest of the day and the interviews seemed to go well from there. I had three 50-min interviews back to back, and lunch was right after my second interview. The questions were all iterating through arrays in some way or another. Pretty standard questions, but considering I am a computer engineering student with a focus in computer architecture, I felt out of my comfort zone (remember that I wanted a hardware position in the first place). All three interviewers were nice, but they didn't ask any behavioral questions and one or two experiential questions which tells me that they are just ultimately looking for code monkeys instead of collaborators and innovators.

At the end of the day, I was told to go meet the recruiter that I was originally supposed to meet with in the morning back at the recruitment building. When I get there and check in, I am told he is too busy and to send him an email with my thoughts of how it went. He sends a quick response telling me I will hear back within a week. Two days later I get a formal no from him saying that I should wait a year to apply before reapply for a position at Microsoft.

Overall, this was the most horrible interviewing experience that I have ever had, and probably anyone will ever have at Microsoft. I see this case as an anomaly for the company, but I feel obligated to share my feedback. I felt like they weren't even going to hire me and they were just hoping that along the way I would give up and not follow up. What a waste of my time and energy and a waste of the interviewers' time as well considering I didn't even want the position they were interviewing me for.

Interview Questions

• All stuff you can find in CTCI. Mostly iterating over arrays.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in February 2016.

Interview

Lots of candidates, lots of rounds. The managers did a good job of shepherding around the candidates but it was easy to feel lost in a room of 100 people. In addition, it was frustrating that not a lot of the people who you talk to say anything more about their job than "I work on the Bing team" and general stuff like that.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I had an on-campus interview. They asked me sign up online and pick a time slot that worked for me. The interview lasted exactly 30 min - 15 min behavior and 15 min technical, and the interviewer was easy to talk to. He helped me through the question when I got stuck.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Met with college recruiter at campus career fair and also at a dinner held for cs students. I had a first round on campus and got flown out to Seattle for on site interviews. All expenses were covered by Microsoft, which was very nice and the trip was a fun experience.