Microsoft Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Software Developer Interview Questions

Interviews at Microsoft

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2013.

Interview

I reached out to the interviewer assigned to my region September, during my penultimate semester at college. We have scheduled a phone interview for a month later. The phone interview was similar to described by others, testing your knowledge about Microsoft, asking you to describe their favourite product, also checking your motivation behind applying to MSFT. Avoid cliche answers like: "I want to work for MSFT because of stability". Make sure you study what they do, especially stuff unrelated to the technical field like their community service, donations etc.

Once that was done, I received an invitation to onsite interviews. This was the moment crap hit the fan because despite applying for Hardware ENgineering position and insisting I want to do hardware/system level software I was assigned to interview with the MS Office division for cloud services position where my experiences and programming languages were a little inapplicable. But I was not aware of that until the very last interview.

Anyway, they flew me to Redmond for the technical interviews. The technical questions were related to data structures and recursion: 4 interveiwers asked me to code a solution to a problem on a white board. If your solution is not the best (90% of the time it wont) they will ask you how would you improve it.

The last interviewer finally told me that the whole time I was interviewing for a wrong position. SO I spoke with the coordinator and they told me they will try to fix it. They directed me to the recruiter who assigned me to that particular division. That interviewer promised to call me to speak about it. I scheduled the phone call but nobody ever called me. Then I had enough.

Interview Questions

• Recursive fibonacci, make a lookup table to speed it up;
    Remove duplicated letters in a string
    Given a linked list where every node points to two different nodes, make a duplicate of it.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Developer Interview

Interview

telephone interview

Interview Questions

• how many lines of code do you write in your entire projects   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Interview

Applied online. Got email that I will have technical interview over the phone. Was asked questions about resume and background.

Interview Questions

• "There are 9 jars. 8 jars contain marbles which each marble weights 1 gram, and 1 jar contains marbles weight 1.1 gram. With a scale display number, how can define which jar contain 1.1 gram marble with only 1 scale."   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in June 2013.

Interview

Send my resume to a manager, got a one hour phone interview with him and he wanted to see me onsite. At that point he transmitted to a recruiter to schedule the trip.

Had 3 interview, lunch, and two more. Questions ranging from linked-list to graph. Overall questions were simple but you have to take great care about the coding on the whiteboard, I was not prepared to.

Interview Questions

• It was a compiler team, I had to design an alias analysis.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft in December 2013.

Interview

First Round of Interview

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell us about yourself and your work experience.
      2. What was the longest and the most complicated code you have ever written.
      3. If there are 3 baskets, having contents: Apples, Oranges and Apples + Oranges. All the baskets are mislabelled and not transparent. How many minimum baskets do you need to open to know the contents of all.   2 Answers

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I applied through campus services and got an on-campus interview I went in expecting a technical interview for a software developer internship, ended up discussing user experience because I listed it as an interest. Therefore I wasn't prepared. Interviewer was standoffish and kept fishing for words and terms that weren't really necessary.

Interview Questions

• What Microsoft products do you like or dislike?   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

career fair in school, just been fooled

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Saint Louis, MO) in September 2013.

Interview

I got a on campus interview. Failed in the 2nd round. Asked me some basic algorithm questions. Easy but need to figure out different solutions.

Interview Questions

• how to combine 2 sorted arrays together. Like 1357, 2468, the result should be 12345678   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Had interned while in school, so was invited straight for onsite

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations, just took the offer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft in September 2013.

Interview

I posted resume on career site and they recruiter contacted by email. I had one small discussion with recruiter over phone and then 1st phone interview was scheduled. Interview went well but i didn't got selected.