Microsoft Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Software Developer Interview Questions

Interviews at Microsoft

3.1

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

The first round was HR. Then they arranged a technical interview

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in May 2009.

Interview

Hiring process was full day event starting from 8 am. I had 8 interviews in a row & that includes lunch meeting. During the lunch meeting / interview, I was asked to write a code on the paper napkin while eating. Overall, the interviews were quite intense & technical.

Interview Questions

• What would you do with unsatisfied boss (aside from leaving) ?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Austin, TX) in September 2012.

Interview

Contacted through campus event.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Microsoft in August 2013.

Interview

Recruiter did not call as scheduled and confirmed time two times in a row. When they asked about another time spot I just gave up. The interview did not even happen.

Interview Questions

• when should thay call next time   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Tempe, AZ) in November 2012.

Interview

It is first on-campus interview.
    The interviewer asked me two behavior questions and one coding question.
    The first question is why I am pursuing a Ph. D degree while I am planning to work as a SDE.
    The second question is to tell about a tough experience.
    Finally, I was asked to write a piece of code to count how many a's before the first b in a char array.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in July 2008.

Interview

CV submitted. Interview requested by HR. HR and development manager interviewed. Asked usual interview questions (what is best attribute , worst etc. why do you want to work here). Asked simple questions about previous jobs and described what they were looking for. Did not have to take any tests.
    At end they said they would get back to me assumed others being interviewed. Response was positive by email.

Interview Questions

Salary and not what I wante to do long-term

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in July 2012.

Interview

Phone screen with HR regarding previous jobs and behavior questions. Technical phone screening (over Skype).

Interview Questions

• Basic OS questions (threading/process), basic SQL question (joins), one code question (reverse words on a string, with memory limitations - no use of complex object types), in C.   1 Answer

Stressful environment.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Interview

Met the MS guys on school's career, and got the on-campus interview a month later. It was quite simple. The question is to remove duplicates in a sorted linked list, and some behavioral questions. And about a week later got the on-site interview. There are four rounds. Questions I remember are: (1) turn a string "sdasd..." into all possible strings where each char can be replaced by its corresponding upper letter; (2) write a singleton class which should be fine to used in a multi-thread environment, and also asked some brain teaser problems; (3) a sorted array with all elements appear twice except one, find that element (the best solution should be O(logn)); (4) this round the interviewer is terrible, asked some meaningless problem.

Interview Questions

• a sorted array with all elements appear twice except one, find that element (the best solution should be O(logn))   2 Answers

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I applied both online and on the career fair. Only got a mock interview on the career. It has only been 2 weeks so I don't know if I should wait longer. Anyway, during the mock interview, there were several classic questions like what was the biggest technical difficulty you every met and tell me something about you and technology. Then there was one easy technical problem. You're given an array of Boolean values (it was a 2D array but packed in 1D) and you also have the width and height of the 2D array. Write a function that take these as parameters as well as a coordinate of a specific point of the 2D array and then enable it.

Interview Questions

• I made some mistake when trying to convert the x,y coordinate to the corresponding location of the same point in the 1D array. I was kind of nervous since this was my first interview in my life.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft in November 2012.

Interview

Got this on campus through the on campus career fair. Interview by an experienced software/hardware engineer. His impression of me was that my background didn't quite fit the software position. I didn't get the next level interview.