Microsoft Software Development Engineer I Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Software Development Engineer I Interview Questions

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft (Tucson, AZ).

Interview

Applied through University recruiting

Just a puzzle regarding marbles (find jar having the marble with extra weight)
How to implement malloc and free in memory heaps
Given radio stations find the top 6 ones with the highest strengths

Havent heard back yet...dunno why thats not an option

Waiting on the result.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in October 2011.

Interview

First got an interview on school campus, then scheduled an on-site test on Seattle one week later. The first interview on campus is extremely easy, questions like:"why do you want this position", "Write a program to reverse a string". The on-site interview is scheduled for 2-3days, which they gathered all the interviewer together and have a dinner and talk about what the interview process will be and how is the live in Seattle. The interview takes all day with 4 1-1 interviews. Each with different person interviewing you and last for 30min. The questions included data structures, algo, logo, and simulation. They decided to give the result RIGHT AFTER the interviews, which makes ppl really excited, however, I didnt get the offer.

Interview Questions

• there is an array with 99 length long, each spot will have number from 1-100, number will never repeat on the array. Give as many way as possible to find the missing number.   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in January 2010.

Interview

Had one on campus interview.
    Then 4 rounds of 1-1 interviews in Seattle, Redomond office.

It was for SDE and all were programming questions.

i)doubly linked list pairwise swap
    iii) a. N length integer array. numbers in the range 1-K. (K < N). Find the numbers that are present w/o using extra memory and should not change the array.
     b. code Graph coloring problem.
    iv) one easy question on cards ranking in poker. some additions to it as the coding was done.

Interview Questions

• i)doubly linked list pairwise swap   Answer Question
    • ii) 2D matrix with nums increasing in right direction and downwards direction. Search for a target number.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer-I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kolkata (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft (Kolkata (India)) in August 2016.

Interview

Had 5 rounds of interview , 1 online round and 1 group fly round. Took 60-80 minutes for each interview round..Overall , it was being part of the interviewing process.

Interview Questions

• Questions covering topics of data structures and algorithms.   Answer Question
    • 1 puzzle question, but basically , it was a divide-n-conquer which I had to convert into.   Answer Question
    • 1 ques on serialization and deserialization of n-ary tree   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

Interview

I submitted my resume via an on-campus recruiting event for summer internships (and full time) and got an email to schedule a 30 minute interview within ~2 weeks. The next step is on-site interviews at Seattle.

Interview Questions

• There was only one technical question: Insert a node, say x, into a sorted circular linked list given only any random node as a parameter.   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Montreal, QC (Canada)).

Interview

Applied through University career fair.
    Got call after 2 to 3 week for an interview in the university

Interview Questions

• there was nothing difficult.
      First i was asked about my technical project and my ideas that i implemented in those projects and how it helped the overall outcome.

Rest was technical
      1 Convert String to Integer and test it.
      2. Array and Linked list complexities. Their advantages and disadvantages.
      3. Algorithm for tic-toke
      Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Interview

Written :
    1. Objective
    2. Subjective
    Interviews (three rounds)
    1. Technical (45 mints to one hour)
    2. Technical (45 mints to one hour)
    3. HR
    C,C++,Data structures, few general aptitude
    Some thing like
    1. Output of small code snippets
    2. Comparing two code snippets and guess which code runs fast
    3. Shift operations (at least 2 to 3 questions)
    4. Tree traveling’s (given pre order and predict post order kind of things)
    5. Graphs
    6. Linked lists (al least 2 questions for sure)
    7. String manipulations

2. What are your goals
    3. Straights and weaknesses
    4. What you did to overcome your weakness

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Interview

College campus hiring. 3 interviews. 2 basic coding. 1 design. No HR.

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bengaluru (India)).

Interview

Written test followed by 3 rounds

Interview Questions

• Mostly there were problem solving questions and questions depending on your resume. I recall the following questions:

1. Given a linked list containing 0s and 1s rearrange it so that all 0s come before 1s..... O(n)

2. Given a binary tree find the max diameter and the two end nodes of it.

3. Delete the kth node from end of a linked list (single pass)

There were some more.. That I don't recall.

I work in NLP and ML. So they asked a lot of questions regarding my project and internships. So prepare your resume well..
      Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Interview

A day's worth of interview with a lunch interview thrown in. Each interviewer gave me the opportunity to ask questions at the end. Lots of whiteboard coding. Not all interviewers have to give you a hire for you to be successful

Interview Questions

• Design a sysem to decode blocks of streamed data and code it.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They made me an offer and I really wasn't in a position to argue. The range of salaries is limited by your level so you are better off negotiating on signon bonus etc.