Microsoft Software Development Engineer II Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Software Development Engineer II Interview Questions

Updated Mar 14, 2017

3.4

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2015.

Interview

one online round and 4 in house rounds (2 algorithms, 1 straight up coding and 1 behavioral/senior). got a offer confirmation the day of the interview - which was surprisingly fast and delightful ! Team - Azure AD.
Had a telephonic conversation with team manager in under a week, and was a really good positive overall experience.
The offer though was slightly lower than what I was currently making but I would have saved more if i moved to seattle - but the benefits were pretty neat. I ended up declining the offer due to a compensation mismatch.

Interview Questions

• the usual algo/coding questions. try careercup / geeksforgeeks.org / etc.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in January 2015.

Interview

write algorithm code on the Skype , the question is hard to answer, no offer. Interviewing is time consuming, tiring, and a lot of work. But the reward for doing well is a full time job. Treat the whole process as a game and have a good time.

Interview Questions

• Given two sets of strings A and B. Find the
      (A-B) U (B-A) ( U = union ). The answer should be in lexicographical order and A’s elements should appear before B’s

What was your worst group experience?
      Where do you want to be in 2-5+ years?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA) in September 2014.

Interview

External hiring will send you through 5 interviewers usually.
    Internal team switching still sends you through 3 interviewers. For internal transfers:
    -- Find a job posting
    -- Email the hiring manager and get an "informational" about the position
    -- Apply for the position
    -- Set up interviews
    -- if you get an offer, accept/reject and coordinate a start date

Interview Questions

• What's something hard you had to deal with?
      Convince me you can get stuff done.
      Other techy questions:
      -- Design classes and interfaces for Chess game
      -- How would you implement the twitter "trending now" feed
      1 Answer

Negotiation

Internal transfers don't have a negotiation stage

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft in July 2014.

Interview

4 tech interviews, detailed questions, game of life, matrices, design questions, hash table questions. Talked through what it means to be a developer, why you want to be a developer, what to expect etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Research Triangle Park, NC) in June 2014.

Interview

The interview process first started with a recruiter who asked several questions about my current employment and what I was looking for in a job. She also gave me a high level description of the job.

Second, she arranged for a developer to call me to have a discussion which lasted in hour. During the conversation, the developer asked about my technical background and gave me 2 computer programs to write over the phone.

Next I heard from Microsoft that the phone interview went well, so they wanted to see me in person. A scheduler contacted me by email to setup the face to face interviews. The interview went from 12PM to 4PM.

I arrived at the reception and the first developer quickly took me to his office where he questioned me for 1 hour and asked me to solve a computer program on the board. I interviewed with two other developers in the same manner. I was supposed to interview with a manager, but he was on vacation

Interview Questions

• Describe the most challenging problem you've had and how you solved it?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA) in January 2014.

Interview

Standard hiring process: 1)Applied online, 2) 1 Phone Screen, 3) On site with 6 rounds of interviews. The On site experience was very pleasant, and all the interviewers were well prepared and made it look like a general discussion rather than a Q&A session. My only complaint is that the actual offer was delayed due to some internal re-organization. This delay of about 3 months made me really anxious. But my recruiter and Project manager were in constant touch which was a great help.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The offer was on par with my expectations and was able to bump up my sign on bonus a bit after negotiating.

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Submitted resume at a campus career fair. Heard back a couple weeks later to schedule an on-campus interview. The on campus interview was a half hour long and had just two questions:
        1. Given two nodes in a tree, find their ancestor
        2. Given a function that does some bit operations, determine what it does and find the bug.

About 2 weeks after the on-campus interview I was informed that I would be moving forward in the interview process. This was one negative of the process for me, because I was asked to interview for a position nowhere near the locations I specified as being my preferred choices. The team I interviewed with was also quite different that the interests I discussed in my campus interview.

The hiring event consisted of 4 45-60 minuter interviews. Each interview varied a bit. Some of the other people interviewing received nearly all design questions while others had mostly coding/algorithm questions. I had a mix of design and coding questions which were done on the whiteboard.

For all of the coding/algorithm questions time and space requirements were discussed as the approach was talked through. No specific requirements were given at the start of a question, but the resulting complexities had to be discussed and justified. Some questions related to balancing the time and space requirements. Test cases were also discussed for each question ranging from use cases to catching integer overflow.

The final design question was very open ended, which I think actually tripped me up a bit because after several focused technical questions, I had trouble thinking from a broad design point of view.

Overall, I felt the interviews all went well, but with no feedback from the interviewers I can't say what it was that kept me from getting an offer.

Interview Questions

• 1. Given a non-negative integer array that is then shuffled and 1 element is removed, find which element was removed.

2. Assume you are designing/writing code for some small business software how would you go about creating a clean, extensible method for calculating sales tax that can be extended easily to work in different parts of the world.

3. (Two separate questions)
          3a. Given an integer array, remove the duplicate values and return an integer array
          3b. Test a dice role generator method

4. Design a system for tracking employee applicants through the interview process
      1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in November 2013.

Interview

This was an internal move, so slightly less stressful than an external application. I still went through 4 hours of loops asking a variety of technical questions and theoretical software design questions.

Interview Questions

• Build a list of all words in a novel as well as a count of duplicate words   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2013.

Interview

Phone interview was pleasant. Questions were mostly related to previous work, C#. One each coding questions on array manipulation. The interview gave a detailed description of the team and projects they are working on and gave recommendations to the team manager. He was going to use an online tool so he can see the coding but the invite was sent too late. I just read out my code to him and he seemed to be happy about it.

Interview Questions

• What I can do to get you in the door?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to leave the current job? Why do you think this is a good place to move to?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not really

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I was first contacted by a staffing member about the opportunity, followed by two phone technical interviews. One from the hiring manager and the other from a team member. Then I flew to Seattle for an onsite interview. There are 6 interviewers from 9am to 5:30pm. The first is the staffing member that originally contacted me, followed by 5 technical interviews examining my skills.

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult. If you are the right one for the team then it is easy.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiated using another offer.