Microsoft Software Development Engineer Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Software Development Engineer Intern Interview Questions

3.2

70 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)) in February 2014.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me after I gave my resumé in a campus presentation. Then he scheduled an interview to the end of the month in a hotel in my town. The interview was short. Initially, we talked for about ten minutes about topics such as: why do I would like to work at Microsoft, previous experiences, which position I thought I'd fit better, etc. The interviewer was nice and made me very comfortable. Then he took me to a whiteboard and asked me to code an API to deal with two classes: Activity and Resource. An activity could use a lot of resources and then I had to save those objects and manipulate them with simple operations like insertion, deletion, etc. Nothing too hard but it required me knowledge on exceptions, threads, dangling references, etc.

Interview Questions

• How to save resources' IDs used by an activity and access them in O(1), assuming there could be an infinite number of resources?   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

A phone interview after 3 weeks of applying.

Interview Questions

• Prepare data structures - array, list, linked list, binary tree, hash maps, etc   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2010.

Interview

Recruiting personnel were top notch. The process of flying out to Redmond was smooth and easy. I was never lost or confused about where to go. The series of 4 interviews was challenging and mentally exhausting, but I felt pretty good about it all--even after tripping up a bit on some questions.

Interview Questions

• How would you write a program to show a stack trace given a raw stack dump.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation was possible. The compensation was already very high.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in October 2013.

Interview

Applied online, had a phone interview, then flown to Seattle for a final interview.

Interview Questions

• You have one million pieces of data stored on each of 100 different computers. How do you sort the data?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2012.

Interview

Hiring process started from my University, cleared the first round there. Was asked questions about data structures, then called for on-site interview. On site interview consisted of 4 rounds. It was for their azure team. The interview went pretty well, the questions were difficult but not impossible to answer. If you have a cool head, you should be able to come with an answer for most questions. They will help on the way if you start coming up with ideas. The overall experience was good. They had me put up in a good hotel in Redmond.

Interview Questions

• Unexpected question was to design and develop a function to draw a card from a deck. The interviewer said that we are going to Vegas to sell this product. It should draw cards at random however it should not be predictable and so on.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Fargo, ND

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Fargo, ND).

Interview

Applied through company website. Got the first phone screen interview and asked with semi technical question (IQ type). then asked for the onsite interview (4 of those, 1 hour each). first two was technical, third one was lunch interview where I was asked mostly on my previous experience. And the final interview was with the hiring manager who was a nice person and I decided to join if I get the offer.

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I only made it to the first phone interview since they caught me on their typical questions. After asking about my motivation for the role they asked about my projects and experience.

Interview Questions

• Design an alarm clock for a deaf person   1 Answer
    • You're in a conference room and the window is broken. What's the temperature outside?   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

one on campus interview and followed with 4 interviews after 2 weeks

Interview Questions

• The last round on-site interview, the interviewer grab a bug in Windows 8 and let me fix it up. It's challenging but he was very helpful and at last I got it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2013.

Interview

Applied online via website. Got a request for a phone interview about a month later. Phone interview was about 30 minutes and mainly asked like what parts of software you like dealing with (UI, Backend, Application layer etc) and then a test question (how would you test a ____ ) and a small math/logic brainteaser.

Got an email about 3 weeks later saying they would like to skip the next round of phone interviews and fly me out to Seattle for final rounds of interviews. Due to the holidays, the process got delayed a bit, but I set up flight/hotel and my day of interviews.

The whole trip was excellent, I felt like I was really being taken care of. They will reimburse a generous amount of money for things like food, transportation around the city. They even gave me some taxi vouchers on my interview day so I could explore Seattle and I wouldn't even have to pay, and it would get billed to Microsoft directly.

The on-site interview day is a long and challenging day, yet it was still enjoyable. You start out in the recruitment building where all the other candidates will be as well. You'll get individually called out by your recruiter who you meet with first. Then you are taken via Microsoft Connect vehicles to the building in which your team you will be interviewing with works.

I had 4 interviews, all technical. Every interview started out with a bit of resume talk, future plans and things about your time at school. Then we did 1 or 2 programming problems each. The technical problems are pretty industry standard, ranging from string manipulation to data structures, to graph theory. Just be sure to talk your way through them with the interviewer. All the interviewers asked even more probing questions to see how much you know about a subject. They asked me all the way down to actually implementing a hashing function when the topic of HashSets came up. But remember, it's okay to admit you don't know at a certain point!

They seem pretty agnostic about what language you use, and one interviewer even started the interview by saying that he is not a compiler, and will not care if there are small syntax errors. That was reassuring and put my mind to ease for small things.

There is also a lunch interview where you get some a lunch voucher to pay for you and your interviewer's lunch. Very light discussion during lunch, mostly about resume and past projects.

After all this, you will meet with your recruiter back at the recruitment building. My interviews went from 10am-5pm. Like previously stated, they gave me some taxi vouchers and I explored Seattle all night before returning to my hotel and catching my flight back the next morning. I can't wait to start!

Interview Questions

• They're not trying to trick you, just trying to see you think critically. For example, instead of iterating over a string from left->right, a certain solution could perform more efficiently by iterating right->left.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not negotiate, it was above my expectations anyway.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2012.

Interview

Soon after I cleared the campus round I was called for the on site interview at Redmond. There were four interviews, 1 hour each. All the questions were coding based, you just have to be comfortable with writing code on a white board.

Interview Questions

• Print a binary tree level by level in zigzag order   3 Answers