Microsoft Software Development Engineer Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Software Development Engineer Intern Interview Questions

3.2

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I had one general phone interview about my projects, work experience and motivations. I waited around 2 months for the feedback. Then they informed me about the hiring event in Dublin and asked for some more detalis about my (ex whether I was planning to consider my masters degree). We exchanged some more emails and then they stopped responding.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I interviewed at Microsoft in April 2014.

Interview

The interview was on Skype, the recruiters and the interviewers were friendly. I'll have another interview next week. The interviewer asked me questions about the projects I have made before, my interests, etc. After that he asked me a technical question.

Interview Questions

• You have 2 linked lists, return a list with the intersection.

For example:

Input:
      L1 = { 1,2,5,10}
      L2 = {9,4,5,10,15}

return {5,10}
      1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)) in February 2014.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me after I gave my resumé in a campus presentation. Then he scheduled an interview to the end of the month in a hotel in my town. The interview was short. Initially, we talked for about ten minutes about topics such as: why do I would like to work at Microsoft, previous experiences, which position I thought I'd fit better, etc. The interviewer was nice and made me very comfortable. Then he took me to a whiteboard and asked me to code an API to deal with two classes: Activity and Resource. An activity could use a lot of resources and then I had to save those objects and manipulate them with simple operations like insertion, deletion, etc. Nothing too hard but it required me knowledge on exceptions, threads, dangling references, etc.

Interview Questions

• How to save resources' IDs used by an activity and access them in O(1), assuming there could be an infinite number of resources?   2 Answers

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I gave my resume to college recruiter. Invited to attend a what to expect during the interview meeting. Then given an on campus interview the day after. The interviewer was a developer from Redmond. This was round one of process. I was told round two and three would be at Redmond.

Interview Questions

• There were behavioral questions and some technical questions. The one technical question I remembered was N-queens problem.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Interview

Basically just received an email that told me to schedule an interview time. I did and signed up for a phone interview. A week later, I completed a phone interview. We talked about responsibilities of the position, and then went into the technical questions. I was asked a basic sorting question, then asked to describe my preferred search algorithm. All pretty straightforward.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you would install and configure a router for a home network?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Interview

I gave my resume to a Microsoft recruiter at a presentation at my university. I got an email from another recruiter a week or two later. They said that they'd like me to come in for an on-campus interview, and asked for a quick response so they could schedule it. I responded immediately and gave my availability (which ended up being only one day), and then never heard from them until NOON OF THAT DAY, when they asked if I could come in at 2 PM.
    I had given up on the interview by then, but I agreed to come in even though I was unprepared. The interviewer asked me one question about linked lists, but he seemed almost as unprepared for interviewing as me, and the interview lasted only about 20 minutes. By the end of it, we both knew it wasn't going anywhere.

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Sydney (Australia)) in July 2013.

Interview

Signed up with a recruiter, and then got an interview on campus.. Interviewer was very nice, and the process was very easy. Offer was to fly to the USA for the actual internship. Question was not very difficult, but then again this was only the first stage of the recruitment

Interview Questions

• Remove all duplicates from an integer array without using any additional data structures.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft in September 2013.

Interview

I gave my resume to a recruiter at a campus recruiting event. The recruiter gave me an on-the-spot mini (~2mins) interview about a project I had listed on my resume.

A few weeks later I got a call from the recruiter asking if I'd like to do a first round interview on campus.

The first round interview consisted of two 30 minute parts. The first was with the recruiter and we went over some of my background and other things that were on my resume. "Tell me about this project you've got on your resume.", "Why do you want to work at Microsoft?", "What is your favourite piece of technology you own and how could you improve it?" were some of the questions asked along with some chat about a sport I had listed on my resume that we both played. The recruiter also asked how I would test a physical computer keyboard.

The second part was with a technical interviewer who asked me to write a function that would return the number of 1's in the binary representation of an integer that was given as input. I wasn't prepared for this at all but the interviewer was really good and gave me good hints to get me to the solution in the end.

Interview Questions

• Given an integer as input, return how many 1's are in the binary representation of that integer.   2 Answers

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Interview

I applied online and received interview after 2 weeks

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in October 2013.

Interview

Was contacted after a career fair. Was asked a basic question on string reversal. Got a reject in 2 weeks with no additional information as to what they didn't like.