Microsoft Software Development Engineer Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Software Development Engineer Intern Interview Questions

3.2

70 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Fargo, ND

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Fargo, ND).

Interview

Applied through company website. Got the first phone screen interview and asked with semi technical question (IQ type). then asked for the onsite interview (4 of those, 1 hour each). first two was technical, third one was lunch interview where I was asked mostly on my previous experience. And the final interview was with the hiring manager who was a nice person and I decided to join if I get the offer.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

one on campus interview and followed with 4 interviews after 2 weeks

Interview Questions

• The last round on-site interview, the interviewer grab a bug in Windows 8 and let me fix it up. It's challenging but he was very helpful and at last I got it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in March 2013.

Interview

I submitted my resume at a career fair. I was subsequently invited to an on-campus interview with a recruiter who had previously worked as a PM. The interview was non-technical; he only asked about my previous work and which of the three internship types I was considering.

One week later I was invited to fly down to Redmond. Microsoft paid for the flights, sightseeing expenses, and a generous amount of food.

The onsite interview itself was four rounds. The first round was a standard dynamic programming problem, maximum-sum subarray. The next two rounds were tailored to my expressed interest in machine learning, and involved implementing the k-means algorithm and a predictive progress bar. The final round was with the team lead, who asked a very trivial coding problem and talked more about the position.

Previous reviews mentioned receiving an offer on the spot, which worried me when I was let go without a word. I got a phone call five days later with an offer.

Interview Questions

• How would you implement the "estimated time to completion" feature of a progress bar?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in March 2013.

Interview

Had a friend who had just completed an internship refer me and was asked to send my CV to a recruiter. From there I was asked for a 45 min phone interview speaking with a recruiter who was taking notes. This was mostly just behavioural style questions as well as being asked to outline how I would test 4 different functions of a pen. After passing this interview, two and a half weeks later I was invited to the Sydney office for an in person interview. This consisted of 4, hour long interviews, all technical with very little focus on me as a person. Results were given immediately after the interviews.

Interview Questions

• Determine if an array from 1..n has a duplicate in constant time and space.   11 Answers

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Began with standard HR phone screen including a few brain teasers and technical problems, but mostly focused on my background in computer science, technical ability, etc. The interviewer was very nice and cordial but was somewhat difficult to understand. She said I should hear back within a week about where I stand in the process.

Interview Questions

• You have a box of red balls, a box of blue balls, and a box of red and blue balls. What is the minimum number of boxes you can open and know what is the contents of each box?   5 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2013.

Interview

Applied online via website. Got a request for a phone interview about a month later. Phone interview was about 30 minutes and mainly asked like what parts of software you like dealing with (UI, Backend, Application layer etc) and then a test question (how would you test a ____ ) and a small math/logic brainteaser.

Got an email about 3 weeks later saying they would like to skip the next round of phone interviews and fly me out to Seattle for final rounds of interviews. Due to the holidays, the process got delayed a bit, but I set up flight/hotel and my day of interviews.

The whole trip was excellent, I felt like I was really being taken care of. They will reimburse a generous amount of money for things like food, transportation around the city. They even gave me some taxi vouchers on my interview day so I could explore Seattle and I wouldn't even have to pay, and it would get billed to Microsoft directly.

The on-site interview day is a long and challenging day, yet it was still enjoyable. You start out in the recruitment building where all the other candidates will be as well. You'll get individually called out by your recruiter who you meet with first. Then you are taken via Microsoft Connect vehicles to the building in which your team you will be interviewing with works.

I had 4 interviews, all technical. Every interview started out with a bit of resume talk, future plans and things about your time at school. Then we did 1 or 2 programming problems each. The technical problems are pretty industry standard, ranging from string manipulation to data structures, to graph theory. Just be sure to talk your way through them with the interviewer. All the interviewers asked even more probing questions to see how much you know about a subject. They asked me all the way down to actually implementing a hashing function when the topic of HashSets came up. But remember, it's okay to admit you don't know at a certain point!

They seem pretty agnostic about what language you use, and one interviewer even started the interview by saying that he is not a compiler, and will not care if there are small syntax errors. That was reassuring and put my mind to ease for small things.

There is also a lunch interview where you get some a lunch voucher to pay for you and your interviewer's lunch. Very light discussion during lunch, mostly about resume and past projects.

After all this, you will meet with your recruiter back at the recruitment building. My interviews went from 10am-5pm. Like previously stated, they gave me some taxi vouchers and I explored Seattle all night before returning to my hotel and catching my flight back the next morning. I can't wait to start!

Interview Questions

• They're not trying to trick you, just trying to see you think critically. For example, instead of iterating over a string from left->right, a certain solution could perform more efficiently by iterating right->left.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not negotiate, it was above my expectations anyway.

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Interview

Very responsive process. The process take 2 week. I don't do well on the first round of interview but it was a greate experience

Software Developer Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Gainesville, FL) in February 2013.

Interview

I applied just before my university's Career Fair, and was asked to interview almost immediately on campus. They asked several personal questions about why I liked to program and a couple behavioral questions.

All the questions that followed were technical by nature and seemed pretty standard. My first question was related to strings. I was to create a method to reverse the words of a string.
    i.e., "Hello World" => "World Hello"

Interview Questions

• Another question they asked was database related, which I have nearly no knowledge of. They asked how I would handle a scenario of retrieving data from a database, then storing it within a data structure. The data from the database included customers' names and the items they previously purchased from Microsoft.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft in February 2013.

Interview

Got an compus interview, 30mins. Asked about your project. Code question: reverse an string, and how to test your function.

Interview Questions

• Give a procedure about how to test a keyboard   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2012.

Interview

Hiring process started from my University, cleared the first round there. Was asked questions about data structures, then called for on-site interview. On site interview consisted of 4 rounds. It was for their azure team. The interview went pretty well, the questions were difficult but not impossible to answer. If you have a cool head, you should be able to come with an answer for most questions. They will help on the way if you start coming up with ideas. The overall experience was good. They had me put up in a good hotel in Redmond.

Interview Questions

• Unexpected question was to design and develop a function to draw a card from a deck. The interviewer said that we are going to Vegas to sell this product. It should draw cards at random however it should not be predictable and so on.   1 Answer